I'd like an older Gibson LP's to use as a workhorse guitar...What years/models?

tlchase68

• Members

This is not a slam, but I'd like to find an LP (or possibly an SG) that was made during the good Gibson years. I know some of the older models are better than the newer ones...I just don't know which years/models to consider! I am not wanting an expensive collector's item, just a solid dual humbucker setup to build on...I plan on changing the p'ups, internal components (as needed), adding Schaler locking tuners, etc. Please suggest a model and years worth considering. Also, what should I expect to pay?

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by Randy G

Sometimes nostalgia is better in memory. Trust me.

Sometimes nostalgia is better than the new stuff. Trust me.

I would look for a Studio, built around '90. Prices will vary according to condition. You can find near mint, but lifeless ones, and you can find excellent players, that has been beaten.

• Members

There's a lot of {censored}ing hype about old Les Paul's. Go into some shops and play some of the LP's, you'll find that there there are amazing and mediocre guitars from every year. I have to agree that the Studios have a strong tendency to be excellent guitars. I've played hundreds of Gibson's so I have some idea as to what I'm talking about. The best guitar I've ever played was a 2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio. It's even better than any Custom I've played. It's sitting on my bed behind me. Go figure.

• Members

The Edwards are great. The closest thing I've seen to a Gibson, though I've not had opportunity to play any older Burny's, Orvilles or Greco's. And you can buy one new for less than $800 shipped from Japan to your door.

• Members

Originally posted by Lawrenceofar

There's a lot of {censored}ing hype about old Les Paul's. Go into some shops and play some of the LP's, you'll find that there there are amazing and mediocre guitars from every year. I have to agree that the Studios have a strong tendency to be excellent guitars.

agree with both. I would never buy a Gibson without trying it first, as quality varies. Maybe Ive been in luck, but every 90s Studio ive tried have been excellent. Unless you care deeply abot looks, those are as good as the alledged high end models imo.

• Members

Well, if you get one that's earlier than 1985 or so, you're actually going to be paying more because it's older. If you're wanting a workhorse, I suggest late 90's models. I've got a '98 Standard that's a great guitar. It doesn't have a flame top...just plain maple. It also came stock with Grover tuners. It's a great playing, great sounding guitar, and people probably won't pay as much for them because they don't have the push in bushing green Klusion style tuning keys. I got mine for $1300, and there's another one in the same shop that's marked at $1500. I want it, but can't afford it right now. :(

• Members
Originally posted by Prages

Well, if you get one that's earlier than 1985 or so, you're actually going to be paying more because it's older. If you're wanting a workhorse, I suggest late 90's models. I've got a '98 Standard that's a great guitar. It doesn't have a flame top...just plain maple. It also came stock with Grover tuners. It's a great playing, great sounding guitar, and people probably won't pay as much for them because they don't have the push in bushing green Klusion style tuning keys. I got mine for $1300, and there's another one in the same shop that's marked at $1500. I want it, but can't afford it right now.
:(

I agree. You are def' going to be paying more for the "collectability" the earlier you go back. A 90's model on up would be a good bet. The worse thing about Gibson these days is the QC. You need to try a few befor you find one that is put together decently. Once you do your set.

Lots of recent Gibson offerings that are cool and have a decent price. Faded models, Studio models, Les Paul vintage mahogony, SG special, Menace series..tec. All are cool "workhorses". These models all go for under a grand new. Buying them used would be even cheaper.

• Members

I have a 1970 LP standard that has always been one of my goto guitars -- I've had newer ones that have come and gone -- but the ole standard is 1 guitar I will never part with. It never fails to deliver rich even tone and playability under any conditions. but finding a 30+ year old LP that is affordable might be difficult -- I agree that early 90's models are a good bet. I had a 90 LP custom that was OK -- not so great that I wanted to keep it forever but if it were my only guitar I would find a way to manage. -- IMO the workhorse of all guitars is the ES335 --

• Members

Great advice! I was going through a phase where all I wanted was a new Studio LP. However, I read so many negative reviews regarding QC issues on new ones, that I decided against it. IMHO, that particular LP model provides the best bang for buck, and it is perfect for my situation. I'll definitely start looking for/playing some 90's era Gibsons at the local shops.

BTW, I fully agree that it is important to try it before you buy it when it comes to guitars, but that philosophy takes away a prime resource for locating second hand axes...eBay!

Thanks for all your suggestions...I'm excited to begin my search!

• Members

I had 2 Gibson LP's "Back in the Day" - a 68' Black Custom and a 25/50 Anniversary Model (Tobacco Sunburst) back in the late 70's, early 80's... Then they were a work of art - the new ones I get to hold sometimes in Guitar Centers, etc don't have it... maybe it's just me but the new ones all seem "cheaper" somehow than the 20 & 30 year old ones - back when it was "1 man - 1 guitar" and the Kalamazoo plant was "cookin"... something just feels and looks CHEAPER.

If I had the money I'd be lookin for a late 60's early 70's model Custom.

I bought a copy as I felt for the money it was my best bet and I was basically broke.

• Members

Originally posted by strangedogs

I had 2 Gibson LP's "Back in the Day" - a 68' Black Custom and a 25/50 Anniversary Model (Tobacco Sunburst) back in the late 70's, early 80's... Then they were a work of art - the new ones I get to hold sometimes in Guitar Centers, etc don't have it... maybe it's just me but the new ones all seem "cheaper" somehow than the 20 & 30 year old ones - back when it was "1 man - 1 guitar" and the Kalamazoo plant was "cookin"... something just feels and looks CHEAPER.

If I had the money I'd be lookin for a late 60's early 70's model Custom.

I bought a copy as I felt for the money it was my best bet and I was basically broke.

they still make that kind of guitar in kalamazoo. They dont say gibson on the peghead. rat

• Members
Originally posted by strangedogs

I something just feels and looks CHEAPER.

e.

Weight relief makes the newer ones lighter. I wonder if that has something to do with your perception. Frankly some of the current Standards I've played are amazing. The quality is excellent though the price is getting a little out of hand. I'd buy a new Studio for $999 before I'd buy a 90s LP. I believe they are as good as they've ever been.

Archived