A new, cool, thing

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Daddy wants a brand new bag!! Er.. recorder!

I've been waiting for just such a recorder for years! Yeah, baby!

It's just hitting the market, but I'd love to see one improvement. If it could record from one of the inexpensive, USB mics that would be great, just for convenience. I doubt it has this capability since the large, rectangular USB termination is used on the mics, to interface with computers. This uses a mini USB interface also used by Olympus, IIRC, for their digital cameras.

• Members

So what would be a better overall buy?

The Sony MZM100?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SNYMZM100

Or the Microtrack?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack-main.html

The Microtrack has phantom power and mic pres. The HD minidisc media is $7 for a 1gig minidisc. How much is a 1gig Compact Flash card? The Sony unit also comes with a stereo mic. They both have the ability to upload the recorded sounds via usb on mac and pc. It seems from the specs that the Microdisc would win since it has built in mic pres and phantom power in one unit but if it can record up to 24/96, how much time would that be on a 1gig CF card? I would assume you could use something larger than a 1gig CF card.

• Members

Originally posted by Ryst

So what would be a better overall buy?

The Sony MZM100?

Or the Microtrack?

The Microtrack has phantom power and mic pres. The HD minidisc media is $7 for a 1gig minidisc. How much is a 1gig Compact Flash card? The Sony unit also comes with a stereo mic. They both have the ability to upload the recorded sounds via usb on mac and pc. It seems from the specs that the Microdisc would win since it has built in mic pres and phantom power in one unit but if it can record up to 24/96, how much time would that be on a 1gig CF card? I would assume you could use something larger than a 1gig CF card.

The Microtrack just looks like a more serious tool, something you could plug a real microphone into.

The Sony just looks more mini-jack-y.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

• Members

I was in love with my MD, long before they had MP3 capability and USB connectivity.

Then it stopped recording. Sure, it looked like it was recording, but upon stopping it, ALL DATA (including previous recordings on the disc) was gone. POOF! Like the wind... :mad:

It will play back existing recordings, but for some reason it F's up the write. I don't know if it's writing data and no table of contents or if the data simply isn't being recorded.

I will never trust MD technology again.

The M-Audio unit is so much more professional in every way. From the CF media to XLR inputs and preamps based on their audio interfaces, to multiple record modes for mp3, 16bit/44.1kHz or 24bit/96kHz. Plus I would be shocked if data transfer to a computer were not noticably faster from the M-Audio unit and you should be able to put a CF card in a reader for transfer, if necessary and it can be used for storage of other computer files, again, if necessary.

I want one!

• Members

Wait a minute, Fellers!!!

I still want one, but forget about XLR connectors!

The unit sports two, TRS connectors and a mic/line switch. In mic mode, you have access to the mic pre's with phantom power.

I know this is getting picky, but I wish they found a way to integrate XLRs, perhaps on an angle to keep the profile slim. Locking connectors on a field recorder are pretty important, IMO, and I never liked locking 1/4" jacks. (Plus, they're as big as XLR jacks.)

I'm more than a little disappointed that M-Audio seems to be hiding this as best they can before people get their hands on one to demo. Even their own webpage is hazy on this point.

But if you check it out, you'll see (and read) about the TRS jacks, the mic/line switch, but nothing about XLRs.

Their are a few more views of the unit, as well.

The Micro-track, main page

• Members

I think two things to note on differences between The MicroTrack and Hi-MD is the ability to record in 24/96 format on The MicroTrack, and the cost of the recording media on each machine.

On The Hi-MD I believe Wav files are recorded at a maximum resolution of 16 bits/44.1 Khz, so The MicroTrack is superior in that respect, but as someone mentioned a 1GB Hi-MD disc is only $7.00 whereas a 1GB CompactFlash disc for use on The MicroTrack goes for $50.00 or more, although those prices still seem to be dropping.

Microdrives? Don't know anything about them. What are they selling for?

• Members

Wewus, you can transfer files almost instantly to your computer, so 1GB Flash could be a one time purchase.

And MD's, while not completely fragile, are hardly as rugged as CF cards. Did you see the story about a photographer who set his cameras (The digital SLR was brand new!) too close to the demolition of a local bridge? The cameras were destroyed, but the CF media, which had been flung free of the camera, not only survived physically, but had pictures of the blast safely stored away. ;)

MD's (the media) are toys in comparison.

• Members

Hey Fantastic,

Sure XLRs are more pro, but maybe including them would have meant increasing the unit's size. I'm not sure something this small can accomodate the full XLR connection.

Or if it could, perhaps they wanted to keep cost down. After all, even though this looks nice, it's not "Hi-End" - nothing m-audio makes is truly hi-end.

As a friend of mine once said about the early groundbreaking portable DAT machines from Casio, it's disposable technology. Amazing what it can do and at the price, and elegantly targets an absolute need, but it's not like a prized preamp.

And the TRS will still enable balanced connections that are far from mini-jacks.

What I would do, and will likely do, because I'll probably get one, is simply use a high quality XLR to TRS cable.

And hope it doesn't suck.

-PL&B

• Members

Originally posted by fantasticsound

Wewus, you can transfer files almost instantly to your computer, so 1GB Flash could be a one time purchase.

Hi-MD has that same capability. It's just nice to have cheap, portable media, and CompactFlash ain't cheap yet.

• Members

You can't send Phantom therough TRS jacks...

Well you CAN, but if you insert or remove the cables you short the phantom power and the caps will explode.

I want to know how they're planning on dealing with this...

Anyone seen Gus?

• Members

Originally posted by gearmike

Well you CAN, but if you insert or remove the cables you short the phantom power and the caps will explode.

Anyone seen Gus?

Took the words right outta my mouth.

They're going to see a lot of damaged units if this hasn't been addressed. I sincerely hope it has.

• Members

I didn't realize this. If you find an answer, please post.

Thanks

- PL&B

• Members

Originally posted by fantasticsound

I was in love with my MD, long before they had MP3 capability and USB connectivity.

I will never trust MD technology again.

I have used MD's in 250 live shows per year for over ten years. I have had several players over the years, yet I still have and use discs that are ten years old.

You must have gotten a bad disc, or your recorder made a mistake writing the TOC (it happens) that is usually why you get a read/write error.

• Members

I've attempted to make it work with other previously used discs and brand new ones. I treated this unit with kid gloves and it died with absolutely no warning.

That's enough for me to move on. Currently I've been fortunate to have access to a consumer grade, stand alone CD burner. It provides better quality sound and I can play the discs in standard CD players. And talk about cheap media. ;) It's not as portable or easy to use for on the fly, mic input recording. But for direct to two track it works well.

If MD works for you, so be it. I won't ever spend another dime on one.

• Members

Dude, if my 17month old can get a podcast recorded on it without cracking the manual we have a winner. Phantom power problem be damned!

Careful! He's likely to take recordings of your theater production and sell 'em on Ebay! :eek: (People will buy just about anything if the marketing is right. ;) )

• Members

I would call M-Audio and ask if they are aware of the phantom power concerns but I don't have much luck with their tech support. I have called them a couple times and they were always impatient and rude. :rolleyes:

Archived