Can't set up a Dimarzio into my Hamer. Threading incompatibility.

separanets

• Members

Hi,

Where can I find any info about how to set up Dimarzio's into a guitar such as Hamer Diablo?

In my Hamer I the screws are thicker (click the link below to see the picture; the black screw is the Hamer's). Everything would be ok, if the Dimarzio didn't have threadings like the Seymour Duncan, which has just big holes. Due to those threadigs I can't use my Hamer's screws either.

http://uiszao.russia.webmatrixhosting.net/upload/dimarpickup.jpg

So it seems like a vicious circle. Is there any good solution?

• Members
dimarpickup.jpg

Actually, it probably isn't the fact that the black screw is bigger.. More than likely, one uses fine threads and the other uses coarse threads. Same size overall, but the fine has more threads per inch than the coarse.

Simple fix, do what the guy above says.

• Members

I just went through this two days ago. My guitars stock pickups had the gold screws that I wanted to re use only to find they are slightly larger than my two after market pickups will allow for. Same thread type though. I had to buy a GC $4.99 pickup ring kit which had the right screws thankfully.

• Members

Why can't I use the Dimarzio screws? They are incompatibl;e with my Hamers threading

http://uiszao.russia.webmatrixhosting.net/upload/hamerniche.jpg

Why can't I widen the Dimarzios threadings? I'm not sure the pickups will suit any other guitar, but hamers. Maybe it will be impossible to use the pickups back with the ibanez after that.

• Members

Originally posted by separanets

Why can't I use the Dimarzio screws? They are incompatibl;e with my Hamers threading

Why can't I widen the Dimarzios threadings? I'm not sure the pickups will suit any other guitar, but hamers. Maybe it will be impossible to use the pickups back with the ibanez after that.

Ah. It wasn't clear that the pickups mounted to the body from your post. A google search for Hamer Diablo showed pickup rings around the buckers.

Well then you might need to tap the pickup to the correct thread if the Hamer screw is bigger. That's risky, though, I would think.

• Members

Ok, I found out there are F-Spaced Dimarzio's and non-F-Spaced (standard) pickups. What I tried was standard. So now I think if I get a pair of F-Spaced Dimarzop's it will help.

What do you think?

You should be using F-spaced since your guitar has a Floyd Rose.

• Members

No, I'm using Seymour Duncan JB TB-4 and stuff. I want to replace the SD's.

I think you misunderstood me. You are replacing the SD's with Dimarzio's, correct?

TB-4 = Seymour Duncan Trembucker

Seymour Duncan Trembucker = Dimarzio F-Spaced.

So, if you're guitar originally came with SD's, then I'm pretty sure you have to use F-spaced Dimarzios to get them to line up right.

Thats all the help I can offer.

• Members

Ok, ok. The stock pickups in my Hamer Diablo have two holes without threading, so that any screw can go through the hole. If the Dimarzio had such holes too, I'd set them up with no problem. But they have threads in their holes and their holes are too small for my screws.

So I wonder which pickups have just holes without threading like the stock SD TB-4 in my Hamer.

• Members

Originally posted by 6down1togo

So drill the holes out already and stop whining. Jeez.

Well, once again. I would not like to spoil pickups. In the case I do not like them I want to be sure I can sell them for the same price I bought them. My strategy here is to try out a few pairs and then stay with the prair I like most. I didn't know there were humbuckers of different sizes and threadings.

So what I want to find out now is what sort of humbuckers are set up in my Hamer and find some other models/brands that can suit my Hamer WITHOUT ANY MODIFICATIONS.

First I thought I could replace my pickups with any other humbucker. Now I think I need to find out some more info, because I'm sure if some one put those pickups into my Hamers there must be other models of that kind.

That's all.

Archived