Getting noticed when you're a bedroom studio band...

Airport85

• Members

Hello all.

I'm a man whose made an album and released it (thru Tunecore). I have a nice website (www.airport85.co.uk) and the songs are all pretty chipper and can be listened to it through there. I use Facebook and Twitter to promote, and have spent the last few weeks emailing and posting to every blog, magazine and radio station going. I'm exhausted. And I just can't get a break. Anyone got any advice?

Cheers

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you build it.....

..... No one will come.

You need to leave the bedroom if you want to take it to the next level. There aren't even nearly enough consumer dollars to go around for legitimate recording artists. The bedroom mavens? Forget about it.

But if you have no interest in hustling to get work as a performer, then burn a dozen records for your mom and some friends; Live out loud on Myspace and Youtube and keep knocking yourself out with a rewarding hobby.

• Members

Hello all.

I'm a man whose made an album and released it (thru Tunecore). I have a nice website (
www.airport85.co.uk
) and the songs are all pretty chipper and can be listened to it through there. I use Facebook and Twitter to promote, and have spent the last few weeks emailing and posting to every blog, magazine and radio station going. I'm exhausted. And I just can't get a break. Anyone got any advice?

Cheers

Oh boy.

You and half the world just made an album and released it. Why should anyone waste time clicking on your links over anyone else's? Do you think people have nothing better to do than to go check out the music of ever random person that spams them? They'd never get anything done and would end up killing themselves from listening to a bunch of horrible music. Meanwhile, they could make their jobs easier by only paying attention to people who've already shown that the public is interested in them. So that's what they usually do. Some people are into looking for new music from nobodies and those are good people to find and give music to, but chances are, no one's going to come knocking down your door for an interview.

You need to go out and do shows, get press from that, and build on that. If you don't, chances are, you'll never get anywhere and you certainly aren't going to make much money from simply being known online. I suggest you go read some music marketing articles/books.

• Members

Oh boy.

You and half the world just made an album and released it. Why should anyone waste time clicking on your links over anyone else's? Do you think people have nothing better to do than to go check out the music of ever random person that spams them? They'd never get anything done and would end up killing themselves from listening to a bunch of horrible music. Meanwhile, they could make their jobs easier by only paying attention to people who've already shown that the public is interested in them. So that's what they usually do. Some people are into looking for new music from nobodies and those are good people to find and give music to, but chances are, no one's going to come knocking down your door for an interview.

You need to go out and do shows, get press from that, and build on that. If you don't, chances are, you'll never get anywhere and you certainly aren't going to make much money from simply being known online. I suggest you go read some music marketing articles/books.

THIS!

Part of the reason for the housing collapse here is that when the market was good, everyone with a pickup truck and some tools became a builder and started building houses to cash in on the market. The market crashed in large part because supply far exceeded demand. Now hardly anyone is building houses.

The music business is much the same way-except people are still churning out product for which no demand exists, with no idea of how and to whom to sell it.

• Members

I'd agree with everything above. The only thing I'd add is that you left out the most important thing - you didn't state your goals. Is your goal to get as many fans as possible? Does it matter if they are paying fans? Do you want to make a career out of this? Have you considered trying to sell your tunes via something like Taxi?

FWIW, the path from the bedroom to financial security is clear, and almost impossible. Here's one way to do it:

1. Write and record a CD of great materials.

2. Play out solo, play everywhere you can including open mics. Meet tons of musicians. Make friends.

3. Put together a band to play your music. Utilize friends you made in step two. Pay them out of your own pocket.

4. Struggle to get gigs. Keep paying band members out of your own pocket.

5. Put on a fantastic live show. Eventually get better gigs so you can actually pay band members out of gig money.

6. Expand your fan base out beyond your city to neighboring cities. Put on a better live show than anyone else. Sell tons of CD's at live shows. Attract a good manager and a good booking agency.

7. Sign a contract with a label. Go into debt re-recording your original album in a "real" recording studio. Get a top 40 single. Get on the bill of a big name national act.

8. Follow up with a fantastic second album. Get at least 2 songs in the top 40. Tour like mad and sell as many albums and downloads as possible.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's plans. I bet there are a million variations on the above. If you play solo acoustic music, then maybe you don't need a band at all. I dunno. It's also hard to pull of #5 as a solo artist, unless you are also a comedian and play songs about drinking beer. And of course to pull off the above plan, you'd need fantastic music, a fantastic live show, and a fantastic amount of luck.

On the other hand, if you just want fans, give your music away for free. Of course, even THAT is difficult nowadays.

If you haven't figured it out yet, we're a pretty pessimistic bunch. Lots of musicians here who couldn't make the dream happen, basically... many of us having chosen a career in something that pays money, instead... but the love for music lives on.

• Members

Getting noticed in a bedroom studio band is easy. You just record a masterpiece album and someone like Rick Rubin comes along and decides to produce you on his own dime, let's you use his studio equipment for hours on end and then he introduces you to all the head honchos of the music business. It's that simple. Just record Pet Sounds or Dark Side of the Moon in your bedroom, put ALL the tracks on myspace for free and someone will come knocking at your door with a wheelbarrow full of money :thu::wave:

• Members

If you haven't figured it out yet, we're a pretty pessimistic bunch. Lots of musicians here who couldn't make the dream happen, basically... many of us having chosen a career in something that pays money, instead... but the love for music lives on.

Truth.

• Members

...you'd need fantastic music, a fantastic live show, and a fantastic amount of luck.

On the other hand, if you just want fans, give your music away for free. Of course, even THAT is difficult nowadays.

yep, the fact of the matter is that nobody wants to hear new music, even if you are the next_______(insert mega artist here), or the best thing since sliced bread.

Play live and have fun, other than that don't worry about it. Heck, I think my new stuff is fantastic, but nobody really cared, even when it was free.:thu:

• Members

Don't give up hope :)

Blue is right with the supply and demand analegy but you just need to take that one step further - there IS a demand, you need to be the one who is supplying that demand, how? Be the best, analyse what is working for musicians and get a feel for the kind of marketing that will allow you to dominate the industry. I talk about tips for music marketing on my blog a lot, I would definitely recommend following it if it's something you are very serious about.

I hope you find it helpful :)

• Members

Don't give up hope
:)
Blue is right with the supply and demand analegy but you just need to take that one step further - there IS a demand, you need to be the one who is supplying that demand, how? Be the best, analyse what is working for musicians and get a feel for the kind of marketing that will allow you to dominate the industry. I talk about tips for music marketing on my blog a lot, I would definitely recommend following it if it's something you are very serious about.

I hope you find it helpful
:)

I didn't say there was no demand for music. I said that there is no demand for most of what is being turned out now, which is poorly written and/or poorly produced DIY stuff.

You wanna fill the demand? Make great records with great songs that sound and look professionally produced and get some means of getting nationwide/worldwide press, advertising and promotion, airplay and public appearances. In short, get something or someone to do what a major label does. That's the biggest thing that will separate you from the 500 orther people or so in your town alone doing the exact same thing you are.

Making a CD in your bedroom on your PC, burning a bunch of CDRs and stuffing them in jewel cases with inserts made on your home printer is a noble effort, but nothing that's going to get anyone anywhere, no matter how good the songs might be.

• Members

Making a CD in your bedroom on your PC, burning a bunch of CDRs and stuffing them in jewel cases with inserts made on your home printer is a noble effort, but nothing that's going to get anyone anywhere, no matter how good the songs might be.

Doing that is really any cheaper than getting a short run of CDR's with jewel cases anyway so I never say the point of people burning and making their own CD's.

As far as demand, finding a niche music style is helpful. Churning out pop/rock/blues/metal songs is fun but 4 zillion people do that as well (including me).

Live music is where the future is at, and has been for some time. Most of the people I know make more money strumming their guitars in a coffee shop and selling CD's there, than anywhere else.

• Members

Live music is where the future is at, and has been for some time. Most of the people I know make more money strumming their guitars in a coffee shop and selling CD's there, than anywhere else.

I agree with you. I have played in bands for 39 years and was always afraid to do a solo gig. I started doing a duo with a guy about 4 or 5 years ago at a restaurant/winery venue. They pay us as much as they do bands, so on a weekend I can come away with 400+ dollars just for me. The venue owner then asked if I'd be willing to put together a solo act to play a couple of weeknights a month. I make at least 100 a night for 3 hours; some places 200. The PA is provided there, and it takes me three minutes to set up. When I do my own PA, it takes another 5 minutes to set up my powered mixer and small speakers on sticks.

• Members

Yup. Even for small timer solo guys like me, the only money I see any more is from gigs. I need more gigs, actually. I need to get off my ass and find some other places to play (that pay.) I'd like to play one night a week.

Just read about a guy doing about 45 grand a year as a "bedroom" act. Never plays live. But... he makes most of his money via getting his music on TV, which he's done a good job at. To me, that's different than what I do - it's almost like writing jingles. Unless you're writing exactly what you want to write, and it just happens to be the trendy hip crap that people want on TV these days.

I can see in the future where I might be making all kinds of crazy out there music and putting it online for free, but playing folk songs at songwriter showcases and playing Police covers at small gigs. Why not. If it's not fun, don't do it.

• Members

Lately, I've been following the story of a recently turned mega-successful bedroom musician; the guy who calls himself Owl City.

The "official" story that I see being peddled in various music articles is that this kid recently got a computer and just decided to start writing and recording music in his parents basement to help deal with his insomnia. He posts his stuff on Myspace page, gets a ton of hits, attracts the attention of a major label, sells a million downloads and gets a major #1 hit song, and now he's a big success, without ever having played a gig in his life. He tours now, but only since he's become successful.

But to me, everything about this story sounds fishy. Based on everything I've learned in this forum, and all the things I've read about the music business, this kind of thing just doesn't happen. Is this kid just tremendously lucky? Or is there something else going on behind the scenes that we just don't know about? My guess is the latter, but I don't know; maybe I'm just overly cynical.

• Members

But to me, everything about this story sounds fishy. Based on everything I've learned in this forum, and all the things I've read about the music business, this kind of thing just doesn't happen. Is this kid just tremendously lucky? Or is there something else going on behind the scenes that we just don't know about? My guess is the latter, but I don't know; maybe I'm just overly cynical. __

Every, and I mean EVERY, DIY success story I've seen put up here as an example of 'they did it, so can you' is another story when you dig a little deeper. They usually have backing and a promo team of some sort behind them.

• Members

I recommend a book called Permission Marketing, it talks about thinking about who your audience is in a very specific and detailed way, and how to build a personal and long term relationship with this audience. Once you can picture your ideal fan, everything you must do becomes clearer and more focused. It also helps to model your marketing after other groups who you admire and have experienced some, or a lot of success.

• Members

Good replies, all of them.

So Airport 85 may or may not be spam and/or be shamelessly self promoting to just another forum, so what? It still begs the question...why do you need to "play live" to succeed?

Yes the new artist deal model takes virtually everything and the only reason you make an album is so that you can "go on tour and make money". We mostly agree on that, but we also mostly agree that local live venues only care about alcohol consumption (and not quaility); just pack as many bodies in and hopefully the bar till will make the booker wanna book you back.

So why does having lots of alcoholic friends and relatives validate your bedroom recording artistry?

• Members

Every, and I mean EVERY, DIY success story I've seen put up here as an example of 'they did it, so can you' is another story when you dig a little deeper. They usually have backing and a promo team of some sort behind them.

Yeah I agree, especially with a dying medium such as MySpace, he must've had some sort of professional promo team behind him. But that isn't the only part of the story I find questionable. Just the fact that he'd never played a gig in his life prior to becoming successful; conventional wisdom is that a label would not take him seriously without some experience live performing or touring. Maybe they figured he's young and fairly good looking, which makes him easier to market. But then again, so are a lot of young bands and artists trying to make it, many of whom have much more experience.

The other thing about that story I don't quite buy is--love or hate his style of music--his songwriting chops are well-honed, and his material is well arranged and produced. No mention seems to be made of how long he's been at it; everything I read claims he just decided to start making music in his bedroom a few years ago. Most people toil away for years to become that good. So either he's some kind of late prodigy, or he isn't as much of a novice as the press would like us to believe.

If his story is true, then great for him; and it offers hope for the rest of us doing the same thing. But something makes me suspect there's more to his story than meets the eye.

• Members

They are a pessimistic bunch, but this is the best place to come to get advice from people in the biz at least in some small fashion. Its also a good place to come for people to get a reality check.

• Members

Yeah I agree, especially with a dying medium such as MySpace, he must've had some sort of professional promo team behind him. But that isn't the only part of the story I find questionable. Just the fact that he'd never played a gig in his life prior to becoming successful; conventional wisdom is that a label would not take him seriously without some experience live performing or touring. Maybe they figured he's young and fairly good looking, which makes him easier to market. But then again, so are a lot of young bands and artists trying to make it, many of whom have much more experience.

The other thing about that story I don't quite buy is--love or hate his style of music--his songwriting chops are well-honed, and his material is well arranged and produced. No mention seems to be made of how long he's been at it; everything I read claims he just decided to start making music in his bedroom a few years ago. Most people toil away for years to become that good. So either he's some kind of late prodigy, or he isn't as much of a novice as the press would like us to believe.

If his story is true, then great for him; and it offers hope for the rest of us doing the same thing. But something makes me suspect there's more to his story than meets the eye.

His sets are boring and quite easy to perform, considering how many loops are involved. It's nearly DJing; the songs don't transfer well to many instruments.

He didn't gain those kinds of programming chops from thin air, either. They would indicate at least 1.5 to 2 years of practice. The first piece of music he ever released was in 2007. He definitely had enough time in the interim to get better at programming.

I'm not sure how Universal eventually became involved. He knew somebody who knew somebody who knew somebody? His promo also had to be rather fierce as people were catching on before they stepped in.. I know I heard a few tunes before that point (and was very unimpressed.)

• Members

I'm an at home DIY'er. I wrote and recorded 30 songs last year. I had a band name and an album(Billy Cool and the Whips/Billy Whips it Out!) before I had any members other than myself. I have a band now. We're playing gigs and it's going over well. I give out CDR's of the first album for free. When I have enough material for the second effort, "Cool as Hell", I plan on ordering a short run of higher quality CD's and sell them.

I don't know what the hell I'm doing. All I know is that I can't stop writing stupid songs. I think my stupid songs are pretty kickass, though. I wish Rick Rubin would call me.

http://www.myspace.com/billycoolandthewhips

I'm gonna be famous!

Archived