Ever regret getting rid of a guitar? Me too, but I got one back!

voneville

• Members

I've been kicking myself in the ass over a guitar I traded off a while back, an Orange Ibanez Artcore AF75T or something like that.

An oppurtunity came my way to get that guitar back last night, with a hardshell case to boot! I jumped on it of course. The guy I traded didn't play guitar, but he wanted to learn. He is a singer. His guitar player used it as a back up on tour, so I was worried it might have gotten a bit beat up. The bridge was offset a bit from being strummed hard (artcore's have a floating bridge that isn't anchored). The intonation was a little off as a result. Action was set too high. Neck nees some minor attention in the truss road adjustment, frets could use some polishing and the fretboard is looking a little dry. Oh, and the pickgaurd was removed, and it looks much cooler without it. The finish is still flawless and there's no knicks or dings. I think he only used it for a couple of songs if he broke a string on his les paul. The feedback was awful for him, he said.

So was the guitar as good as I remembered? Yes and no. The finish on those guitars is exceptional. The fact that it was out on the road and still looks showroom says something about the quality to me. The sound is better then I remembered, but the pots are a tad scratchy now. Not horrible, but for a guitar that's only a little over a year old and has spent most of it's life in a case it's annoying. My squier that sits on a guitar stand in my garage hasn't had that problem.

The frets are TINY! When I bought the guitar I almost played barre chords and power chords exclusively. I wasn't a "lead" player by any means. I started learning some licks and playing more blues based rock in the last year, and noticed that the Ibanez feels like it's fretting out on bends past a 1/4 step. Also, the feeling of wood under my finger is a lot different then my Tele with larger frets and a maple board.

Still, it's a very versatille guitar, sounds amazing clean and unplugged, and sounds great with bottleneck slide. At $200 I am happy to have it back. In my opinion it plays much better then the Gretsch Electromatic, but the Gretsch gets the nod for more interesting pups.

ibanez1.jpg

• Members

I wanted a Blueburst Fender Tele Plus with maple fretboard, and would have had to order it. Well, in the store (Alto Music) was a Crimsonburst Tele Plus with a rosewood fretboard...Bird in the hand...I bought the Crimsonburst one, rather than wait - Well, they ordered the Blueburst one and gave me the deal that I could trade the Crimsonburst for the Blueburst when it came in if I wanted to. When it came in about 2 months later I did trade the Crimsonburst for the Blueburst. Every time I went into Alto, I saw the Crimsonburst, and finally 3 months later bought it back at a $200 discount (seems that somebody put a little chip in it, which they repaired - and now it's hardly noticeable). This was in '97 and I still have both of them and will never get rid of either - the Blueburst has been my #1 since I got it, and it would be stupid to get rid of the Crimsonburst, since I already made that mistake once. Sometimes you get lucky and can correct a mistake.:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Howard VA

I wanted a Blueburst Fender Tele Plus with maple fretboard, and would have had to order it. Well, in the store (Alto Music) was a Crimsonburst Tele Plus with a rosewood fretboard...Bird in the hand...I bought the Crimsonburst one, rather than wait - Well, they ordered the Blueburst one and gave me the deal that I could trade the Crimsonburst for the Blueburst when it came in if I wanted to. When it came in about 2 months later I did trade the Crimsonburst for the Blueburst. Every time I went into Alto, I saw the Crimsonburst, and finally 3 months later bought it back at a $200 discount (seems that somebody put a little chip in it, which they repaired - and now it's hardly noticeable). This was in '97 and I still have both of them and will never get rid of either - the Blueburst has been my #1 since I got it, and it would be stupid to get rid of the Crimsonburst, since I already made that mistake once. Sometimes you get lucky and can correct a mistake.
:thu:

Beautiful Tele's!

• Members

I traded away a Xaviere 900 in natural. Started really missing the semihollow tone and quality of that guitar though. So, last night I bid on and won a second hand one in black with gold hardware. Gotta great deal on it. Gonna add a Bigsby this time and might splurge for some TV Jones pups.

I have a red Ibanez AFS75T. Love that guitar, and don't plan to change a thing with it except I taped the bridge down with some double sided, slightly modified the "Bigsby" arm so I could swing it further over the springs and added one more screw to secure the pickguard at the back. Great sound, look and playabillity.

• Members
Originally posted by Rapmaster

Good for you
:)

What pickups are in that guitar anyway?

I have no idea, I imagine just run of the mill cheapo buckers. I am considering upgrading the pups and wiring harness in the future, but I have to see if I warm up to it more because that's a costly and labor intensive upgrade. For clean stuff the pickups sound good.

Archived