Something about stereo that puzzles me....

boosh

• Members

If you want to make a 3d movie you take 2 cams

1 for the left eye and another one for the right.

You place them about 5cms apart.

Voila Stereo Image

So why not record a band with just two mics,... a few inches apart?

Not close miked,...man if I watch a band play I'm not 2 inches away from the singer's mouth.....

Can someone explain what's the difference between stereo image and stereo sound?

• Members

Ahum,....Okay,..tell me I have to pay attention more,...This thing is called binaural,...

I completely missed that on that stereo thread.....

Hey ,..I was allways that kid who didn't look at the teacher but was looking outside to watch birds and cats and cars and stuff ;)

• Members

Two mics recording for two ears does not equal stereo.

There are many, many micing techniques that can capture a realistic image of a sonic event, from Spaced Omni to XY to Blumlein to Decca Tree to multiple mono - many of them have been explained here and at the old SSS.

In practicality, recording un-amplified music in a pleasing space can be done with any of these with differing results. Some people prefer one technique over the other.

Most of these techniques in front of an average-loud rock band will not capture the experience a listener has, usually. Sound pressure levels, combinations of stage sound and PA sound, etc., generally bad PA sound, etc., mean that you are usually fighting a losing battle.

Listen to some live audience recordings, maybe a bunch of stuff on the internet that Deadheads share, and you will see that although the quality varies, none of them match the experience of the concert-goer or what usually is issued as a live recording.

Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Sessions is one of the few recordings done remotely like this.

• Members

Originally posted by boosh

Ahum,....Okay,..tell me I have to pay attention more,...This thing is called binaural,...

I completely missed that on that stereo thread.....

Hey ,..I was allways that kid who didn't look at the teacher but was looking outside to watch birds and cats and cars and stuff
;)

You beat me to it, boosh!

One thing, of course: binaural recordings are designed to be listened to with headphones -- not conventional loudspeakers.

And you should check out some binaural recordings. They can be pretty cool.

AT&T did some experimental concerts and demonstrations with binaural audio transmission way back (50's or before?) with a binaural recording of things like string quartets (and perhaps full orchestra on a couple of occasions?) that I've always understood were quite spectacular. Since they weren't storing the binaural tracks, there was pretty much none of the limited frequency and dynamic range of early multichannel media like film and magnetic tape.

You probably already caught up with the notion held by many binaural adherents that for maximum realism the mics should be placed in a dummy's head (some rigs went so far as to have a full dummy sitting in a chair an appropriate distance from the source).

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

You beat me to it, boosh!

One thing, of course: binaural recordinds are designed to be listened to with headphones -- not conventional loudspeakers.

And you should check out some binaural recordings. They can be pretty cool.

AT&T did some experimental concerts and demonstrations with binaural audio transmission way back (50's or before?) with a binaural recording of things like string quartets (and perhaps full orchestra on a couple of occasions?) that I've always understood were quite spectacular. Since they weren't storing the binaural tracks, there was pretty much none of the limited frequency and dynamic range of early multichannel media like film and magnetic tape.

You probably already caught up with the notion held by many binaural adherents that for maximum realism the mics should be placed in a dummy's head (some rigs went so far as to have a full dummy sitting in a chair an appropriate distance from the source).

That was exactly what I was thinking of an hour ago,...why not make a dummy head and place the mics there,....

I didn't know that(offcourse) it was done before and is called binaural.

Because of my lack of mics and space I just thought,....why not record with to mics,...and just record the guys I make music with in our natural environment.

In my opinion it must be possible to capture everything just like it happened.

• Members

I wouldn't do a binaural recording without the dummy (although if I'm the one doing the recording, wouldn't that be redundant???). You have to figure in the Head Related Transfer Function.

I still wouldn't record an amplified performance binaurally and expect to deliver an accurate image of the performance. I have done many one and two mic recordings of rock bands, and generally they are a sonic disappointment, even if they are a wonderful document.

• Members

Me and the guys don't use amps,...... Just an upright bass,...acoustic guitar and me singing

Aha...binaural would be most excellent, if you intend to play it back through headphones.

I would just find the best sounding spot in the room, and record it using XY with a couple of cardiods, but that's just me.

• Members

Booshy, try this: put an ORTF pair of decent SDC's outside, the garden is okay.

Lead the wires inside and connect them to the mixing board, pan hard left and right.

Put on a decent headphone, a Sennheiser HD600 will be perfect.

Put your butt in a decent chair and close your eyes, listen carfully.

You have a feeling as if your sitting in the garden, that's stereo my good brother.

FYI: ORTF is two mics in a 110 deg angle, capsules 17 cm apart.

Peace, Han

• Members

And don't forget that often classical orchestral numbers are/were recorded with simple two mic stereo placement. It's not just for headphones.

The original analogy to a 3D movie is a reasonably good one. We only have two eyes, and two ears. (And one mouth - why is that?)

But even 3D movies are heavily composited, effected and artificially put together.

Most music we hear isn't simply a document of an event. Just as most movies we see aren't a one take from one camera. That sort of complicates our expectations of what "true stereo" might actually be. Basically, it's all psycoacoustics now - total smoke and mirrors.

• Members

Gheez countryman,.... I dunno in which neighbourhood you live but if I put two mics in my garden and go inside the only thing I'll hear is the footwork of the guy stealing them
;)

Lol! In that case, put an ORTF pair on the roof my friend!

Archived