how to make mp3 short clips?

jnorman

• Members

duh - i need to make some short (30sec - 1min) clips of mp3 files for a client to post on their website for streaming. it doesnt look like the software i have will do 30 sec clips. how do you make a 30 sec clip of an mp3 file? thanks.

• Members

Yups,..Wavelab is what I use also....

Open the mp3 in wavelab,.... cut the piece of that you don't want,... It's called TRIM in Wavelab.

Then save the file again,..under another name offcourse otherwise you'll lose the original file.

• Members

Originally posted by jnorman

i have musicmatch, windows XP media player v10, and realplayer 10. i couldnt find "mp3 shortener". thanks.

I'm not using MM 10 any longer since I've purchased Sonar, but to make clips on the MusicMatch, I'm pretty sure that you need to have the Jukebox Plus version. If you do have the MMJB Plus v10, then go to "Options", select "Settings", then click on the tab that says "Recorder". Once inside the "Recorder" settings you will see an option that says "Make Track Clips"; check the "enable" box, set your duration, and then hit "Okay". I've never used the feature to make clips so I don't know if it makes the clips simultaneously while recording actual tracks or if you need to reset the settings for one or the other. At least you'll know where to start...

Hope this helps a bit.

• Members

A lot of digital audio editing software allows creating MP3s: Wavelab, Sound Forge, Audition, etc. These also let you experiment with different MP3 characteristics -- different bit rates, stereo vs. mono, etc. And you can easily edit clips to be shorter.

Many DAWs can also mix down a bunch of tracks to MP3 format.

• Members

Audacity can help too - just select (highlight) the clip you want, and then choose File->Export Selection As MP3...

You'll have to download the MP3 encoder seperately, if you don't have one - but don't worry, the details are on the download pages:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

Audacity is good to have around - it's free, cross-platform, and a very full-featured editor that can perform all sorts of useful functions.

• Members

I was just using Audacity and there is a "Export selection as MP3." I assume I can do this. Have two tracks on screen. "Select all." Then SHFT-CTRL and Left Arrow, I can deselect from the end of the song back toward the beginning. Say, I want to stop at the end of the first chorus, I can just stop. Then "Export selection as MP3."

I guess this will work to export a shorter clip.

Archived