Musicians who either don't play live or who don't do much on stage

grace_slick

• Members

Until now, I was pretty much resigned to never playing live, because quite frankly, we're just not good enough, me and my partner.

We can get some songs together in our home studio because of the wonders of modern technology, but I can't play the keyboard anywhere NEAR good enough to go live, and she can't really play the guitar well enough either...

So I thought, well, ok, we'll just make our songs and see how it goes...

But then I read a brief interview with the lead singer of La Roux, whose music I quite like, and apparently although they do their own instruments on their albums/in the studio, when performing live, it's only her on stage. And she just sings, nothing else. The guy isn't around. They instead use really good live musicians specifically for their shows.

This gives me hope!!!!!!!

• Members

If you can afford the rates of live session musicians then that's an option. Otherwise you could just have a CD track playing in the background on the PA to fatten up your sound. You could still play guitar, but having the CD would be like having a second guitarist, filling in your gaps and mistakes.

• Members

Grace -

There are a couple people I can think of right away that do something simliar to this locally.

There's a woman who sings Jazz to backing tracks at open mics.

There's also a "band" comprising of a husband and wife. The wife wears a bass guitar which has been gutted out, and now houses an iPod which she plays the backing tracks to. She acts like she is playing the bass to put on a show even though it has no strings. And her husband sings to the recorded tracks while he entertians the people there.

There's always Kareoke too!

You can do it!

• Moderators

maybe I'm just old fashioned, but whe nI go out to see LIVE music, I expect musicians playing music, on the stage, with their instruments...what we call a performance. Sorry, to me going on stage and singing to pre-recorded tracks is epic fail material IMHO.

grace's concept of hiring a band to perform with, although certainly not a new idea...is at least an honest approach.

• Members

maybe I'm just old fashioned, but whe nI go out to see LIVE music, I expect musicians playing music, on the stage, with their instruments...what we call a performance. Sorry, to me going on stage and singing to pre-recorded tracks is epic fail material IMHO.

grace's concept of hiring a band to perform with, although certainly not a new idea...is at least an honest approach.

I'm going to have to agree, I'd feel embarrassed singing to some sort of back track being ran through the PA. Hiring professional musicians to back you is one thing, singing karaoke to one of your songs is another.

• Members

Just trying to encourage her to get out there.

Personally, I despise the band that uses the iPod in a gutted out Bass. It's hoakey at best and the guy deosn't even really sing. But, people like him and he entertains well. The only reward I have had is to see him start to show his age, and when his target market is teenage girls, he is starting to look like Ward Cleaver attempting to wear 'hip' clothes and mingle with the kids.

52882479_l.jpg

An NO, Grace, you do not look old. And if you played at open mic to a backing track, you would do just fine.

• Members

A band is definitely better than hearing an artist play to backing tracks. But what you guys have to realize is that there are TONS of people playing with backing tracks. A huge amount of people. And at the small venues they play, most people don't care. Pretty much only musicians care. And not even all musicians care.

I resisted it for 2 years. I play solo and for two years I didn't use backing tracks. But then I started and it's much better. Backing tracks limit where you can play, but no more than playing totally solo.

Best is having a band. But performing with backing tracks is better than sitting at home wishing you were out there doing gigs.

• Members

What about an open mic at a coffee shop or something? Those are usually catered to the more hobbyist (or whatever you want to call it) musician. I would think the two of you could pull that off. :thu:

I do agree though with the backing track trend here (though Rmac totally hit it home). I went to a friends show one time and the band coming after them forgot their eighth to quarter patch cable which would have completely killed their show, had Michael not had one for his Ipod for living room listening... :facepalm:

• Members

Wow, excellent replies, thank you!

I think I get a bit ahead of myself when thinking of these sorts of things. Yep, we could do coffee shops and stuff like that, and we'd like to and would enjoy it, definitely. I was just also pleased to hear that currently very popular bands or pairs or whatever don't necessarily have to play everything on stage. Or anything. It's a relief!

• Members

While I think a musician should be able to play at least SOME of the music they program, it's not always possible to play everything. Somethings simply aren't humanly possible because of the speed or programming involved, but I think it's sad when an artists doesn't even know what they're doing on an instrument. Take time to learn your songs and the instruments you use on them.

Of course you don't have to, though. I mean, look at the electronic genres. There are people who program awesome tracks and the most they do live is stand behind their gear and twiddle a few knobs, pretending to be busy. Oh and clap. Sometimes, you can just clap to your song. lol. I find it ridiculous, but you can get away with it.

Personally, as an electronic musician/guitarist/pianist, I'm going to try to play and sing at least some of my music live. Maybe the audience will let you get away with not doing so, but the musician in me won't. I also think that even if they like a show where you're not doing much, they're going to like it when you do more. It makes it more real. To me, going to a club to watch DJ Tiesto twiddle knobs isn't worth the money when I can get practically the same experience from just hearing a random, talentless local DJ spin his record.

• Members

Yeah, I agree. DJ's are not musicians. But good DJ's are people who know a lot about music and tastes and trends and how to keep people happy. A good DJ is like a good waiter, in a way - they don't produce the content, but they suggest the best stuff and deliver it in the best way and make the whole experience better. A bad DJ? Worse than sitting at home.

Is a guy who moves a knob every now and then a DJ or a Musician? I don't know. Maybe they were a musician when they record it and a DJ when they play it back. I'm with you - if you're a solo musician, I expect you to be singing and playing the most important instrument in the song. If it's a vocal track.

A good example of a guy who is currently gigging solo and sings and plays instruments with technology handling the rest? Thomas Dolby.

Which brings up another interesting point - what is the difference between a backing track and a drum machine and a bunch of synths running off a sequencer? To the artist or sound guy, you can get a better mix. To the audience, there's practically no difference. Conceptually I'd say there's no difference.

• Members

I wonder if, when you're on stage, you could for instance sing (me) and play the absolute most BASIC of all keyboard parts (like 2 notes or something, back and forth), just so it looks as if you're playing the keyboard.

And then my partner could play a basic rhythm guitar or bass, and then others in the live band would play another keyboard and the other instruments.

• Members

Steely Dan.

If you're trying to insinuate that Becker and Fagen don't play their instruments very well you'd be really wrong.

I sat in the 10th row at one of their shows and was amazed at the licks that Becker threw down, same with Fagen. Both are exceptional musicians.....

They just are smart enough to want the very very best.

I got to talk to a guy who used to work in the studio for them and he said that they'd have these heavyweight musicians in who were used to laying down their part in 3 takes and Becker and Fagen would make them lay down 40 or 50 takes and they'd just flip out....

But their music speaks for itself.........

• Members

I wonder if, when you're on stage, you could for instance sing (me) and play the absolute most BASIC of all keyboard parts (like 2 notes or something, back and forth), just so it looks as if you're playing the keyboard.

I would strongly encourage you to put the time in and take lessons if you have to, before you get up and play in front of people. You will be rewarded if you do because you will have the satisfaction of actually being able to play rather than just faking it. And I bet you you'd feel better about yourself too.....

Otherwise...just sing....

• Members

I only brought them up because they were'nt exactly road warriors and they certianly were'nt afraid to hire the best session guys for the albums . Certianly did'nt want to disparage them .. have most of their albums !

Hey, no worries....I used to think that they were all hired guns until I watched them play. I never get tired of listening to them though.

• Members

And then my partner could play a basic rhythm guitar or bass, and then others in the live band would play another keyboard and the other instruments.

Go for it. Most people will have no idea what you're playing anyway, so just play whatever as long as you're playing. I just getting comfortable and good at whatever you're going to play though. It needs to look natural and you need to be able to do it without really thinking so you can free up your mind for focusing on your stage presence (I.E. don't just stand there).

• Moderators

Go for it. Most people will have no idea what you're playing anyway, so just play whatever as long as you're playing. I just getting comfortable and good at whatever you're going to play though. It needs to look natural and you need to be able to do it without really thinking so you can free up your mind for focusing on your stage presence (I.E. don't just stand there).

No one knows what you did in the studio. If you are the singer, sing. You are not a performing keyboardist, so why insult the guy you hired to play keys?

Archived