P90 installation question

wednzday

• Members

How do you install a Gibson P90 on a Les Paul? I'm talking about the mounting. All pictures I see of P90s, except the dog ears model, doesn't show the place where you can put the screws in. I've seen threads about the wiring on pickup replacements but nothing about the mounting. Since I believe many here P90 like P90s on their guitar, maybe you guys can give some insight on this. Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by wednzday

I noticed that in other P90s but not with the Gibson P90 as seen on musiciansfriend. Any idea on how this works?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&g=guitar&base_pid=306915&index=1

Interesting....

On their guitars, they definitely have the mounting screws between the pole pieces.

273477.jpg

273843.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by wednzday

Well let's just assume that the P90 picture from musiciansfriend is erroneous. Now, where does the mounting screws go from between the polepieces? Will it go directly to the wood? This concept is quite new to me
:confused:

Yes. You can put a piece of foam under the pickup to lift the pickup off the body so you will have some height adjustment, but the screws go directly into the body wood.

• Members

On my Les Paul Special there are two mounting screws that go through the pickup into the wood with springs on each screw. You can check this on any Les Paul Special in a shop by pushing the pickup down with your finger at the top or the bottom. When you let go it will return to it's original position. I changed the springs on mine to heavier ones to anchor the pickups more securely as my right hand was moving the bridge pickup up and down while I was playing. The sound man noticed the volume going up and down a little bit while we were playing and we eventually realised it was the springs on the pickup. A useful tip.

• Members

On my Gibson Blueshawk, the screws (that are between the pole pieces, as has been said) do NOT go straight into the wood,not exactly. The screws are too thin to go straight into the wood.

Instead, there are metal bushings which are inserted into the wood. These metal bushings have hollow threaded centers, and the screws thread into these bushings. So you screw the pickups in the way you would screw in a threaded bolt.

There are SPRINGS surrounding these screws. The springs provide resistance, so you can do height adjustment. It's a pretty good system; it looks good, provides easy adjustment, and transmits vibration effectively to the wood body.

http://www.blueshawk.info/images/body_parts/BH%20p-u%2025-11-02%20011.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Quarter

Soapbars have 2 screws that go through the middle in between the poles.

Check the pic link to see the holes.

That's really weird. I got a couple of the Gibson P90 replacement covers and they had the mounting holes between the pole piecs just as everyone else has stated.

• Members

If your guitar is a sized for a humbucker, you're gonna have to fill the area with something because P90's are smaller. I actually like the Gibson P94's, I put in a P-94T into my LP and it's great, got rid of the muddy sound from the neck and it's very playable with a variety of tone. Some may say it looks odd or ugly though, heh.

Archived