Agile Al-3000 series question.

Foozman

• Members

Looking for an LP "copy" in the $400 price range.

Really didn't like the finish work on most Epiphones LPs I've seen out and about. Been reading a lot about these Agiles. Generally good reviews, although it seems they're not really checked at the store before shipping, and you can get some real iffy ones on occasion.

I'm somewhat of a beginner, and I realize opinions may vary a lot, but what's the general feel about these guitars? How do they sound? One thing I noticed about a lot of the Epis I've tried at GC: Very very muddy and undefined tone.

Opinions welcome :)

• Members

Originally posted by Foozman

Looking for an LP "copy" in the $400 price range.

Really didn't like the finish work on most Epiphones LPs I've seen out and about. Been reading a lot about these Agiles. Generally good reviews, although it seems they're not really checked at the store before shipping, and you can get some real iffy ones on occasion.

I'm somewhat of a beginner, and I realize opinions may vary a lot, but what's the general feel about these guitars? How do they sound? One thing I noticed about a lot of the Epis I've tried at GC: Very very muddy and undefined tone.

Opinions welcome
:)

I've owned both, although the Agile I owned was an AL2000 model. I have since sold it, although it was decent. The pups were worse than the stock Epis imo, and the guitar was fairly heavy. My Epi LP plain top is only 8.3 lbs. I also bought it knowing I would change the pcikups on it. It has a pair of DiMarzios in it, Air Norton in the neck and a Mo'Joe in the bridge. It sings now. I like the looks of the plain tops a lot. Maybe I got lucky, but I love the feel of my Epi. Best $400 I've spent.

The Agile 3000 line is a much better guitar though, and as such is probably going to sound better than a stock Epi. Personally I didn't like the horn shape being different. Even though the pups are better, I still read some people are changing them, although it isn't as necessary as the 2000 model.

I have since purchased another Agile, the Harm 1 which I love. So I have nothing against Agile. I would buy another one. But my Epi is my favorite guitar and I would get another one too.

Rondo has a good return policy so if you go that route and don't like it, you can return it. If weight matters to you, usually the Agile is heavier, but it can be hit and miss. I went to the store before they closed, and noticed some were very heavy, usually the cheaper ones. So maybe the 3000 line will be better. Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Members

Look at Michael Kelly's Patriot series. If you can get a Custom do that, but about $100 more than what your budget is. IMHO much better guitar than EPI or Agile.

Xavier is another to look at. I don't have one but they are well thought of here.

• Members

Originally posted by revans513

Look at Michael Kelly's Patriot series. If you can get a Custom do that, but about $100 more than what your budget is. IMHO much better guitar than EPI or Agile.

Xavier is another to look at. I don't have one but they are well thought of here.

I have not played (or even seen) a Michael Kelly Patriot. What is about them that makes them much better than an Epi or Agile? The wood they use, the electronics? I've heard some good things, wish I could play one. I assume you've owned all 3 to make this comparison.

Xavier also gets a few well received applauses here. Another one I haven't seen, but I just don't like the shape. I like the original shape, and only Gibson and Epi has it. And Edwards, but that's another story.

• Members

As far as Michael Kelly goes, the fit and finish, pick ups and fretwork are way above average for a $500 guitar. I have a Partriot Q (not custom) and I like it a lot, I have a Valor Custom (shares the same electronics as a Patriot Custom) and it rocks.

My favorite LP knockoff is made by Traditon (S-2003 model). Its as good or better than the LP ('68 standard IIRC) I used to own.

I own an Agile 2000, its ok for $200. Just way way too heavy.

• Members

Originally posted by thefuryone

You might bide your time, and scour ebay or here for a nice used Edwards or Tokai. I think I saw a nice Edwards in the Spam thread last month for about $450

That's a good idea too. How are the new Tokai? I always forget about them. There is a guy here usually in the spam section that sells them in Canada, JD something or other. He might have what you want as well.

• Members

Was at a friends local guitar shop today and he has a Agile AL3000 rootbeer spalted with Sperzel locking tuners and upgraded Gibson burstbuckers pickups. The thing is great and looks NEW. If I already didnt have the regular spalted, I would have bought it. It easily has $200 worth of upgrades. I know new they are $369 through Rondo, but my buddy's shop is asking $299! Somebody needs to jump on that. Ebony fretboard too.

If somebody wants his stores tele number...give me a holler.

• Members

One thing I noticed about a lot of the Epis I've tried at GC: Very very muddy and undefined tone.

I just want to point out that Guitar Center is one of the worst places to try out a guitar (IMO). Nearly every guitar I play at GC sounds like ass and I'm talking about even the thousand dollar and above guitars (although not as much). This is usually due to one of the following... poor set-up, old strings, grimy dirt from kids hammering out enter sandman for hours on end, etc. I'm just saying, don't count any guitar out just because you played one at Guitar Center and it played like crap. A good set up can make even low budget guitars come to life. This may not be the case with all mega stores, but it's just something to keep in mind when shopping for a guitar.

• Members

Thank for all the replies., guys!

What exactly is the AL-3100 "wide"? How is that any different from the 3000? I looked at the specs on the Rondo website, but couldn't really see what the difference was.

I've looked at the Tradition S20 and wasn't that impressed with the finish, to be honest. Haven't seen any S2000 series yet though. The latter are supposedly made in Korea (whereas the S20s are made in Indonesia?).

Keep the comments coming...

• Members

I love my AL-3000.... Have had it almost 2 years now and it is my main guitar. I will never get rid of it, ever :)

I did put a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and changed the tune-o-matic to a better one.

It does everything perfect, I have had it tuned down to C with great results then switch it to standard tuning and bust out some blues with no problems at all :D

agile01.jpg

• Members

The Agile 3000 is going to get you more guitar than the standard epi's. Also, the 3000's are a significant step up from the 2000 series. The Agile weakness though are their pickups, very average. So, if you upgrade the pu's you have a killer guitar for about $500, far superior to a stock Epi in the same price range. I would jump all over the above post that states a local store has a 3000 with burstbuckers for $299.

• Members

Originally posted by Foozman

What exactly is the AL-3100 "wide"? How is that any different from the 3000? I looked at the specs on the Rondo website, but couldn't really see what the difference was.

They are sold out for now, but I expect they are in the process of getting some more of them.

The WIDE indicates a 1 3/4" nut. Most Agiles are 1 5/8", some are 1 11/16" and the newer WIDE models are 1 3/4"...

• Members

the agile 3000 models have better pickups in them than the 2000 series. it is a big step up between getting a 2000 and a 3000. 3000 series, you get type V alnico pups which sound pretty damn good as apposed to the ceramic pups you get in the 2000 and the 2500 series. the pots are also a step up. they still are not cts pots, but they are still better than the 2000 and 2500 series. you also get an ebony fretboard and hand finished frets which should arrive at your house in prestine condition. you shouldnt have a buzzing, high action problem. it should be playable out of the box. the finish is also a step up on the 3000 series. also the neck is one piece mahogany. triple bound body that really looks nice

the only downfall with getting one of the LP models is, most weigh about 9-11 lbs. if you sit down to play, it wont matter. if you want to stand and play for 3-4 hours, you might want to change you mind as to the type of guitar you buy.

my opinion is, for 369.95 you'll be hard pressed to find this much quality in any guitar.

• Members

this thread has me on the verge of heading over and ordering an agile to build. i've been teetering lately between saving for a new guitar, third amp, or a builder guitar. the 51's seemed appetising, but an agile to play with would be fun. i love workin on stuff.

Archived