Kramer question: Focus 6000 or Striker 600ST?

kwakatak

• Members

I did some looking around at vintagekramer.com to find out some info about the Kramer that I bought back in 1989. I registered over at The Kramer Forum but I'm still waiting on my activation email to come through so I figured that I'd pose the question here.

Anyway, here's a pic of my guitar:

Kramer-full-front.jpg

The headstock does not say Focus on it but the body looks more like the Focus 6000 than the Striker 600. After looking over these pages I'm just not sure though:

http://www.vintagekramer.com/focus.htm

http://www.vintagekramer.com/company42.htm

http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts5.htm

Here's all I do know about this guitar, really:

Pickups: Designed by Seymour Duncan

Body: laminated

Neck: maple pointy headstock/rosewood fretboard

I never had any documentation on it and took the salesperson's word for it on the model. After 18 years of retrospect I think I got screwed on this guitar but figure I got my money's worth anyway - of which I suspect paid way too much.

OTOH, I used to love playing it through a small SS Fender Bullet amp with a Boss distortion pedal though. I hardly play it anymore now though because it's got some pops and clicks and all I have is a Fender HRD which does not suit it well. It badly needs a setup/new pots/replacement Floyd Rose parts and unless I invest in another amp (which is unlikely) I need to at least get another distortion pedal.

So what do you guys think?

• Members

If it's a laminate body, it's a Striker. If it were a Focus, it'd have a body made of wood, according to that third link.

I had a Striker way back when, and it was a pile o' poo. I have a pointy Vanguard that I really like, except for the upper fret access.

• Members

It's hard to say - Kramer were never very consistent with the specs on their models. You can find 2 guitars that are supposedly the same model but have different headstocks, pickup config. etc...

So no help from me then. :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Rich4Once

If it's a laminate body, it's a Striker. If it were a Focus, it'd have a body made of wood, according to that third link.

I had a Striker way back when, and it was a pile o' poo. I have a pointy Vanguard that I really like, except for the upper fret access.

Yeah, this guitar is hit and miss. I love the pups but I hate the Floyd Rose. I love the neck but I hate the blocky body. The hardware is all rusty and the body is all scratched and nicked but damned if it doesn't do distortion worlds better than my Strat. :love:

The old girl needs cleaned up big time, though. :o

So what did you hate about your Striker?

• Members

I have a striker. It's one of the first ones made. It has a hockey stick peghead. I put a DiMarzio dual sound in it. It's about 21 years old now. I don't like the fact that it has a plywood body. I think it may rob the guitar of some bass. The sustain is great though.

• Members

They ended the Striker line in 1989. Prior to the final year or two, the model name such as "Striker 600ST" could be found on the headstock next to the Kramer logo. The last year or so of production they began to put the model name/number on the truss rod cover. Maybe, if you look at your truss rod cover it will say rather or not it is a Focus or a Striker?

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

Yeah, this guitar is hit and miss. I love the pups but I hate the Floyd Rose. I love the neck but I hate the blocky body. The hardware is all rusty and the body is all scratched and nicked but damned if it doesn't do distortion worlds better than my Strat.
:love:

The old girl needs cleaned up big time, though.
:o

So what did you hate about your Striker?

Well, it was a Striker 200ST. It had two Schaller humbuckers, non-Floyd bridge, and a beak headstock. It was made of plywood. What's not to hate? :D

Archived