Modelling Amp Questions (long)

Darylb23

• Members

I have been fooling around with the idea of getting a modelling amp and one of the criteria I was using to narrow my search was the aux/cd input feature. I am starting to wonder if I am making any sense.

My current situation: Old guy just started learning to play a year ago. I do not, and may never gig so I pretty much play at home. I normally play with headphones and my Boss Micro BR. I love it. I can load backing tracks or use the built in drums. I have a little practice amp but I dont really use it because I primarily play at night and dont want to disturb anyone, plus up until recently, what I played wasnt fit for human consumption.

So now I want an amp with better sound than my 15w practice amp. I was primarily looking at the Roland Cube 30X and the Spider III 75. I know there are others but I wanted to keep the list small.

I dont need 75 watts but it has more amp models that I assume i would like. 2 cleans, 2 twang (I pretty much just play the tele now), 2 blues and 2 crunch. It has some metal and insane but I dont think I would visit them much. The 30w only has 4. Probably enough but those extras seem cool.

The Cube looks like it would do what I want as well but the spider just seems so easy to pull up an amp or a preset. I honestly wouldnt use more than a handfull of tones on a regular basis so in some respects all of the modelling amps are pretty much overkill. But I was mainly looking at the modellers because of the aux inputs. In fact, I wasnt considering the popular Vox valvetronics because it didnt have the input. So anyway, here are my questions.

1. If you have an aux input, do you use it?

2. If you dont, do you play along with something or just play your guitar?

3. If you play along, what do you use as an audio source.

I envision the amp sitting there with the guitar next to it, headphones on top, BR or mp3 player on top plugged into the aux in. That way, I just turn it on, plug in and play.

I feel like this may be a stupid question but I really dont hang around anyone who plays so i dont know what is normal (I know, wrong word to use here). Any suggestions welcome.

• Members

I have a Vox AD15VT.

I've used it the way you mention, but have found that I prefer not to use headphones. It just sounds better. My amp is near my computer so I just play along with iTunes or a CD. Nice thing about being near a PC is that I can play along with onlne tabs, use software like the "Amazing Slow-Downer" (slows down any music file and adjusts pitch), online lessons and whatever. I haven't used the aux in a year or so.

• Members

I'm pretty much where you're at, except I don't have any close neighbors
or kids, so I can crank it up a bit. (If it's not fit for human consumption,
the coyotes might enjoy it then):D

Many will argue against it, but the Behringer V-tone and V-amp amps
have a great sound, great input/output options (MIDI in/out Slave/Preamp
in/out, External speaker cab out, CD/aux in, & more. Not expensive, but
is loaded with effects, 2 channels, amp & cab simulators. Definately worth
a look.:thu:

• Members

Why not get an amp and play along using your home CD player, computer or a boom box? You'd have a lot more options available to you.

That's kind of why I was asking, to see what other do. My line of thinking was I could play when and where I want if I werent dependent on the stereo or computer. I like the idea of the set up I mentioned so I could even pop out on the back patio and play if I want.

What I guess I left out of my ridiculously long post was that my understanding is that the modellers will sound better with headphones and with an outside audio playing through them than a standard guitar amp. Something about the speaker being different.

Sound accurate?

• Members

That's kind of why I was asking, to see what other do. My line of thinking was I could play when and where I want if I werent dependent on the stereo or computer. I like the idea of the set up I mentioned so I could even pop out on the back patio and play if I want.

What I guess I left out of my ridiculously long post was that my understanding is that the modellers will sound better with headphones and with an outside audio playing through them than a standard guitar amp. Something about the speaker being different.

Sound accurate?

the speakers in modelling amps are full range speakers that are designed for modellers.

check out the DA5 - it sounds like exactly what you're looking for, Voxwise

• Members
Many will argue against it, but the Behringer V-tone and V-amp amps

have a great sound, great input/output options (MIDI in/out Slave/Preamp

in/out, External speaker cab out, CD/aux in, & more. Not expensive, but

is loaded with effects, 2 channels, amp & cab simulators. Definately worth

a look.
:thu:

I am actually looking at them as well. I was just keeping the list short until I figure out if the aux input is necessary, then I will obsess over which one. :thu:

• Members

I'm in the same boat and I do the same thing..

1 - Get a POD, V-Amp, J-Station or whatever device you want to pick.
2 - Get Winamp or Windows Media Player
3 - Get a dual mono 1/4" to stereo 1/8" cable at Guitar Center

All ya need to use your computer for this application.

• Members

I don't have an aux input, but I don't think I'd want one, I don't want my accompaniment coming out the same speaker as me. It'd be too garbled, I bet, and with my 8" speaker especially.

I use a stereo in my office hooked up to my computer, which has access not only to my entire music library but also to my collection of backing tracks. Works pretty well. I have my amp in one corner and the stereo opposite it. I stand in the middle and play.

• Members

I've got all my music (some 3500 songs) in my iTunes library on my laptop. I do most of my practicing in my room and I do like play along with other music alot, so I just throw whatever I want to play on my computer speakers and jam away. This way I can buy any amp I want!

• Members

What I do is use headphones connected to computer for playing along to backing tracks or records.

I've never understood the need for aux inputs on amps for home use. For one the guitar speakers are not well suited for playing full range material. They can't reproduce the high end very well. IMO the headphones/stereo + computer works much better.

Go with the Vox Valvetronix, preferably the AD30VT or AD50VT for the larger speakers. They sound miles better than the Line6 Spider stuff.

• Members

I appreciate your replies. What you all seem to be saying makes perfect sense, I was just hoping to find a way not to be tied to the computer or stereo when I play yet still be able to have something to play along with.

Anyone out there actually using the aux/cd in on their amp?

• Members

I appreciate your replies. What you all seem to be saying makes perfect sense, I was just hoping to find a way not to be tied to the computer or stereo when I play yet still be able to have something to play along with.

Wireless headphones. That's what I use.

• Members

I used mine a lot on my Crate RFX120. I have an old cd player that I ran into the cd inputs. The problem was there was no volume control (The CD outs on the player didn't have a level adjustment). So I bought a $49 4-Channel Behringer mixer and ran the cd out into that and then into cd inputs.

Guitar amps are NOT Hi-Fidelity and CD's played through, while serviceable, don't sound very good.

So then I bought a used Behringer Keyboard amp (KX1200) for $99 and I run my cd's through that (with the mixer) and play along with my amp.

I will say, though, that playing along with CD's and backing tracks improves the guitar playing experience drastically. It also helps with timing and understanding keys and alternate tunings and what-not.

Good luck.

• Members

I will say, though, that playing along with CD's and backing tracks improves the guitar playing experience drastically. It also helps with timing and understanding keys and alternate tunings and what-not.

Good luck.

I am at a point where I try to always play along with something even if it is a simple drum beat. I am a pretty new player and it seems to help me stay musical and not get lazy.

That is the whole reason for throwing questions out there. I think it is necessary for me to have something playing. I was just hoping to hear that the aux input was worthwhile. That way it would take no effort to set up to play and it wouldnt matter if the computer, stereo or back bedroom were occupied. I could grab it, plug it in and go.

I realize there are a lot of ways around it which is good. It allows me way more choices in amps. Actually, that might be a bad thing. But anyway, I guess I was hoping to hear someone say they hook their mp3 player to the amp and jam along headphones or no anytime the want and it works great.

Plus, like I said, I am never around anyone who plays so I dont know what most people do.

I appreciate all of the replies.

• Members

+1 on the Behringer V-Tone or V-Amp series of amps - great price, great sound, and all the connection possibilities you might want for jamming along with CDs, recording on the computer, blasting out the neighbor's windows, whatever...

hehehe just kidding about the neighbor thing... :D

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VTone-GMX212-Stereo-Combo?sku=480731

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VAMPIRE-LX210-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481103

• Members

If you really really want something a band in the box type of deal, a phraase trainer would come in handy. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-CDGT1mkII-Portable-CD-Guitar-Trainer?sku=241255.
You can remove the guitar track and use your CD's as a backing track as well as slowing it down.
+
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-15-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482276

• Members
Actually I didnt mean physically tied to the computer, I just meant I didnt want to have to have the computer every time I wanted to play.
:thu:

I see, but then I think a set of headphones and a MP3 player would work great. This is actually what I did at one time, I borrowed my friend's MP3 player when I went to my family's summer cottage and then I just played along to MP3s with headphones.

One thing I like about headphones is that they muffle the acoustic sound of the strings. If you're playing at low volumes then that can be annoying since the guitar is close enough for you to hear the strings ringing, blending into the amplified sound.

• Members

I've never liked the tones from the Spider amps, but have definately heard good things about the Cube series.

I also believe in leaving guitar tones to guitar amps and full-range music to other systems. Perhaps one of the problems I have with the Spyder amps is their 'full-range speakers'???

Good for you for playing along with something - that's a critical step in learning. But another critical step is learning to *hear* critically, sorting-out guitar tones, and how they fit or don't fit the song, and how they do or don't fit 'in the mix' with the rest of the band.

• Members

Have you checked out the Fender G-DEC amp? It has the CD input, plus it also has built in MIDI drum and bass backing tracks. You can also play MIDI files from your computer. Overall, its an excellent practice tool.

I have thought about it and havent ruled it out. Once I get some time to go out and try some amps I might see if I can find the new 30w one. Not that I need a bunch of power but I have a feeling the 15 wont sound much different than my current crate 15w practice amp.

The concept is probably perfect for me but for some reason, even though I dont really know why, I want something that sounds better than my little amp. It sounds kind of hollow or something. Probalbly like a practice amp.

Probably the smartest thing for me to do is to be on the lookout for a used gdec. Thanks, for reminding me.

• Members
I've never liked the tones from the Spider amps, but have definately heard good things about the Cube series.

I also believe in leaving guitar tones to guitar amps and full-range music to other systems. Perhaps one of the problems I have with the Spyder amps is their 'full-range speakers'???

Good for you for playing along with something - that's a critical step in learning. But another critical step is learning to *hear* critically, sorting-out guitar tones, and how they fit or don't fit the song, and how they do or don't fit 'in the mix' with the rest of the band.

See, that is what I am starting to think. I was just reminded of the gdec and think it might be what I am looking for for practice. I could pick up a used one for a decent price and I can look for a decent guitar amp to play on the weekends.

Its ok to have more than one, right? :D

• Members

Hey Unistudent1980,

You said something very interesting there: You mentioned removing the guitar track from CDs, and linked to the Tascam CDGT. It has a "Guitar Cancelling Function" listed in its list of features. Does that actually work?

I've tried several vocal or guitar removal software programs, and none of them worked well. From what I understand, the theory by which these programs operate is either 1) remove anything that is centered between the left and right channels of a stereo mix (vocals and SOMETIMES guitar tracks are in the middle of the mix) or 2) remove the desired instrument by EQing it out (lower the specific frequencies where that instrument is most prevalent).

The 1st option rarely works because of stereo delay or other effects, and the 2nd option kills other parts of the mix along with the guitar so that the results sounds very thin.

So back to my original question: Does the Tascam "Guitar Cancelling Function" actually work?

Cheers,
Bert

Archived