Email warning...

I've received a couple of very suspicious emails today that came from different sources (none of whom I know) that said the following:

A court has sentenced a man to life in jail for the bombing of a McDonald's restaurant, which left three people dead.

The man, Agung Abdul Hamid, was found guilty of financing and co-ordinating the attack.

Read full story."

The link is in the "read full story"... and it looks VERY suspicious... it smells like malicious Javascript code to me... :mad:

As always, be careful about what you D/L and what you click on.

• Members

Email suspicion is second nature to me, now.

What really does bug me are those 'catcher' sites that look like site directories and whose purpose seems to be to snag people from google or other search engines and that, when you try to navigate away from them, pop a 'modal' msg box that doesn't let you do anything but click "OK" on a dialog saying "Do you want to make SuckerTrap.co your home page?" I just had to use the Task Manger to close IE a few minutes ago when I stumbled on one, looking up info on BeOS. (I ended up at Be.com -- which had the right 'look' in its google listing, but when I got there I realized it was just a damn trap site.)

BTW... make sure you have this month's Windows update patch (from last week) on any machines you connect to the net. According to the news, there's apparently a virus going around currently that takes advantage of a hole they just patched.

[And if you're wondering how I keep so sleet and svelte (my machine's 110-112 MB boot profile, that is), one of the ways is by turning Windows Automatic Update off when I'm done going to the Windows Update site. (The current update manager requires Auto Update to be running before it can work.) Auto Update, on my machine seems to suck up between 8 and 12 MB of system resources... which is painfully absurd, if you think about it. Then again, install Sun's Java Runtime and Sun installs in your boot profile -- without asking -- their own Java runtime auto updater that takes 12 MB of your system resources, day in, day out, until you wise up and pull it out by the roots. I was floored. What a bunch of jerks those guys are. Happily, you can turn off the updater and still have the runtime come up when it's needed. Java's an okay language -- but I really don't think much of Sun at all. At all.]

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

[And if you're wondering how I keep so sleet and svelte (my machine's 110-112 MB boot profile, that is), one of the ways is by turning Windows Automatic Update off when I'm done going to the Windows Update site. (The current update manager requires Auto Update to be running before it can work.)

Sure about that? I've been updating machines here for the last couple days, and all I see is a prompt asking me if I want to turn Automatic Updates on - but it doesn't require me to do so to update the machine. As a matter of fact, if I turn it on ( which I did on some machines that are not as locked-down as most here) it will start the update process on its own, and if I try to use Windows Update at the same time it fails - because it's redundant.

Archived