Elvis Presley died 28 years ago. Do you care?

Anderton

• Members

Well, generations are considered to be 20 years apart, I believe. The concept is mostly to mark those that participated in a particular event...the generation that fought WWII, the generation that went through the 60s, the baby boomer generation...that sort of thing.

I suppose saying "I wonder if people under 30 today care about Elvis" would have been more precise, but then that's another artificial dividing line...I guess ultimately, the question is "So whaddya think about Elvis?" Other than the fact that it played out sorta like a Greek tragedy.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Anderton

Well, generations are considered to be 20 years apart, I believe. The concept is mostly to mark those that participated in a particular event...the generation that fought WWII, the generation that went through the 60s, the baby boomer generation...that sort of thing.

Yes, but outside of broad generalizations it falls apart very quickly as some sort of reference point. Where do you fall on the 20 year line? Are you in the middle, part of the generation along with those 10 years your senior & junior? Are you at the beginning, separated from those born the last year before? That's why I don't think it's very useful.

Either you know Elvis, or you don't. Now, one might judge from the year that you were born the size of the rock you were living under, ;) but IMO there is very little insight to be gained about everyone else.

• Members

Originally posted by UltraMambo

i don't give a damn about generations...

of course any music has a time stamp, but only for the in history educated, all other listen with the heart.

I totally agree,.... age don't count in music.

Ears don't have an age.

• Members

Originally posted by UltraMambo

Booshy Wuushy Suushi...

i don't like it when someone agrees with me!

don't you have to say something contrary?

:D

If you're looking for trouble

You came to the right place

If you're looking for trouble

Just look right in my face

From the song ; Trouble as sung by Elvis ;)

• Members

For me it was one of those events that nails itself to your brain. I remember walking into a bar the afternoon he died. Link Wray was playing there that night. The band was doing a sound check. Everyone was bummed out over it. I ordered a beer then left. Never let a dead Elvis ruin a good beer.

• Members

When I was young, I never paid a lot of attention to Elvis. I used to have to go see a couple of his movies with my older sister, because she was a fan (she's also about 10 years older). Then when I was older, I discovered that I loved one Elvis song...Heartbreak Hotel. And then recently, I found out something I never new, Mae Axton was my sister's teacher in High School...and she wrote Heartbreak Hotel for Elvis! This was long after I thought Jacksonville was only known for Skynyrd, etc. :)

Barry

Archived