Yamaha pics (mine & yours)

gadzooka

• Members

I guess I'm a "Strat and 335" type of guy after all. I need these two guitars (or decent copies thereof), and not necessarily any others, to be a happy camper. So, based purely on positive write-ups here and elsewhere, I took an eBay gamble and bought a slightly used Yamaha SA-2200 to fill my semi-hollow void.

I will try to take some snaps soon, but I can provide, for your entertainment, a couple pics from the seller's auction. I am more into black or red guitars than fancy sunbursts with gold hardware. I prefer a guitar to look unassuming and then have tone in spades. But if the delicious tone is there AND the guitar looks all fancy-shmancy, then I can live with it!.. :thu:

Anyone else have Yamaha (guitar) pics they'd care to share?

sa2200-1.jpg

sa2200-2.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm in an intense honeymoon with the SA2200 right now. I recommend seeking one out. I did have an early 70's 355 once. It looked soo beautiful, but the tone was kind of plain-jane. I attrbute that possibly to the Varitone circuitry, plus the fact that it was all maple (no mahognany)? The Yamaha is getting me into the ES tone territory now, and I love it.

• Members

Only 2 so far...

SGV-300

SGV300_01.jpg

and my cheap acoustic (sorry, only have a stock pic)

F310-2.jpg

I'm considering getting either the Pacifica 402S (crappy pups, but hot)

PAC402S_1.jpg

or the 302S (good pups, but not quite as pretty)

a6c9_1.JPG

Not sure yet :(

• Members

I never knew what the Pacifica looked like...so it's a Tele sorta-thing. Gonna have a look at the user reviews for those.

ArKay, I like that mustard yellow SGV. Told you I prefer the plainer guitars...though the SGV shape is surely not plain!

• Members

Originally posted by peavey_impact

I love my (customized) 302s
:)

Oh Arkay, I found the stock pickups to be terrific. But I prefer a bucker at the bridge so i changed to Dimarzio Chopper T/Twang King.

Now the tone is breathtaking.

[pics above]

:love: :love:

It seems that the 302 comes with better pickups (if the reviews can be believed--lots of love for the 302 sound, not so much for the 402). Of course I don't mind changing them should I get the 402 :D

Those have got to be some of the best teles out there for the money.

• Members

Originally posted by gadzooka

I never knew what the Pacifica looked like...so it's a Tele sorta-thing. Gonna have a look at the user reviews for those.

ArKay, I like that mustard yellow SGV. Told you I prefer the plainer guitars...though the SGV shape is surely not plain!

The weird body shape is actually pretty comfortable :D

• Members

Originally posted by ArKay

The weird body shape is actually pretty comfortable
:D

Actually, the body shape is very cool in a retro-esque way.

I caught your picture of the SGV's upper fret area. Interesting how they are slightly angled there. I wonder if it has to do with intonation of different string widths?

• Members

Actually, the body shape is very cool in a retro-esque way.

I caught your picture of the SGV's upper fret area. Interesting how they are slightly angled there. I wonder if it has to do with intonation of different string widths?

They are all straight, that's lense distortion :)

• Members

SA-1200S:

yamaha_sa-1200s-01.jpg

Pacifica 1511:

yamaha_pacifica_1511-01.jpg

BB414 bass:

yamaha_bb414-01.jpg

I've also got a Yamaha DG80 1x12 combo and am planning to get a Yamaha acoustic.

Used to have a Pacifica 812WX but sold it, just didn't get along with the H/S/S pickups and the guitar in overall, even though it was really gorgeous and well made:

yamaha_pacifica_812wx-02.jpg

• Members

sa2200-1.jpg
sa2200-2.jpg

It's a beauty.

When I got mine, I remember putting it on the stand in the living room and get a cup of coffee and just stare at the sunburst for ages. Now I look at it more from the player's point of view and I like it even better for how it feels and plays than how it looks.

As requested, here's a pic of it during soundcheck at an outdoor gig. My ten year old daughter is holding it (and will inherit it one day).

IMG_1863.jpg

Archived