What is the Guitar Shop you live closest to?

Weatoch

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think I am pretty fortunate being in a small town. From my office (and I have only an 8 minute commute to work) I have one shop that is literally 1 building away. Local owners, but the know their stuff. Little more expensive but their service makes up for it. They sell some good stuff. One block from that is Rumble Seat Music, one of the top vintage shops is the country. I can't afford alot of stuff there, but its fun to browse. And 2 miles away is another music store that sells Scheter and G&L, Vox, Marshall.

There is a GC 50 miles away, haven't had the need to go there yet, Iwill someday, especially if I buy a Gibson.

• Members

Well I guese Im kind of lucky in that I live pretty close to both guitar shops in my area.The first (and closest) would be Carltons wich is about 5 minutes from me,they have a nice selection on everything guitar related.The other is Guitar Center,and its about a 20 to 30 minute drive depending on traffic.Oh yea...and I cant forget the countless pawn shops in the area.

• Members

The closest store to me is Sunset Music here in Meridian, but I refuse to do business with them. They're more interested in online and over the phone business than business with their neighbors. After purchasing three guitars from them within a few months of each other they refused to let me buy a shipping box from them. So I went to Old Boise Guitar (20 minutes away) and John (awesome guy) gave me one for free.

• Members

Years ago (mid '80's), when I lived on the lower eastern shore of Maryland I used to have a relatively short drive to a shop in Seaford Delaware, called Seaford Music. It was where I bought my first tele style guitar, (which I still have).

Is anyone on here from that area? If so, do you know if they are still there?

It was a small shop, really nice people, and there started, my love for teles, and maple fretboards.

• Members

LA is cool. I used to search that place for an old SG. Found alot but they were always just out of my range or had something I didn't like about them. Now I kick myself because it was back in the 80's and those 70's SG are more spendy now.

Anyway, I have a couple of guitar shops near me. One is like the typical shop that offers you little or no help unless you start flashing hundreds or bring your parents in with you. They do get some good used stuff in there so I drop in sometimes. The pawnshop is actually better. And one of the guys who works there is a dick who thinks he's the {censored} because he plays in some gay old man band.

The other shop is pretty cool. They started out really good and had alot of great gear, but things change and now they only get good stuff once in awhile. Some good used stuff too occasionally. I bought my G&L from them. Some of the guys used to hint to me that they didn't want me playing the nicer guitars, even though I had already spent $900 on a resonator guitar in there. After buying some expensive pedals they started treating me really good and now offer up anything new for me to try. They had a nice custom Moonstone acoustic with alot of frills that they let me bang on for awhile. They don't know much about oddball gear though, just the mainstream stuff.

• Members

I how people had is as far as sotres to purchase instruments in. Some may have it really well, and others may have it pretty bad.

As for me, at my house growing up, there was the awesome Guitar Showcase with walls of Fenders and Gibsons, a few Ricks, Mesa amps, A huge vintage showcase, and a whole building devoted to consignment. It was a minute away driving.

Now I live in LA and there are plenty of large stores 20-30 minutes away.

I was just in Guitar showcase today -- i love it yea though it's all the way down there in san ho

Almost bought a telecaster..

• Members

Old Town Music in Portland Oregon. It's 10 min. away and that's the only one I like to go to. The place is small and only has used gear, but they usually have interesting guitars and amps there. I've never found a lefty there ( the manager tells me they go quick), but it's still fun to browse. I really love this place because they have parts that I can't find anywhere else in town. NOS US-made tubes, orange drop, mallory, black cat caps, pots, control plates, switches, etc. They stock Lindy Fralin pups, ZVEX pedals and have the biggest assortment of used pedals that I've ever seen. No matter how busy they are, the manager is always helpful and polite.

• Members

in Fredericton NB we have Tony's Music Box which is great (fender, gibs, gretch) and then a MusicStop (a chain store) which has just about every big brand. Jackson, Gib, Fender, Godin, Ibanez, Gretch, Rich, etc etc. Hugga Guitar closed, but there is one in St. John - I didn't think it was that great of a shop.

in Halifax NS (my home town) there is another MusicStop, Gig Street is a vintage shop 3 doors down, The Folk Center, I think there is another MusicStop, a Buckley's..

and pawn shops, one (Digital World) carries some lower-end lines (Crafter, Vintage, GFK) :cool:

The closest is a 10 minute walk away, the furthest is about 40min walk.

• Members

I have one about a mile from the house. It's a small store, but has a good selection for it's size. I like it because the owner will tell you the good and the bad about what your looking at. No BS. Nice change of pace from the chain stores.

• Members

20 min. away from the guitar center, the guitar exchange, and about a half an hour away from B Sharp guitars here in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. GC? I really do not go into that often anymore, seems like everytime I go in there is some guy who has the Marshall dimed out and is very inconsiderate of everyone else playing there. . Guitar Exchange some nice older amps , a few cool used guitars. B Sharp guitars just does it for me. All of the Cuistom Shop stuff from Fender, and Gibson. Martin Acoustics. etc. B-Sharp is definately the store I would love to get locked in overnite. The prices are up there like they are for all Custom Shop stuff, but worth it. They also have a Roberto Vinn graduate doing all of they're in house guitar set-ups, and repairs. Good people. Wish I had the cash!!!!

• Members

I work really close to Carmine St. Guitars here in NYC. I have a fair amount of down time, so I hang out with Rick Kelly while he builds and repairs guitars.

The other day, I was hanging out when the film maker Jim Jarmusch came into to pick up a guitar that Kelly had built for him. It was a tele that had a body that was made from the 1800's pine rafters of his building (which was under repair) on the Bowery. It had knot holes, black binding and a black pickguard. Jarmusch played it gently, so I asked him if I could give it a try. I plugged it into the hand made tweed type amp (built by my buddy Phil). Man I tore it up on the guitar, it sounded so sweet and ranchy. Jarmusch was impressed. Kelly's also building a pine-caster for G.E. Smith, who stops by pretty often. It's a fun place to hang out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jarmusch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.E._Smith

Archived