Ephiphone Les Paul Special II Opinions

burton4snow

• Members

Some of those guitars are solid wood instead of plywood. I'd seek out one of those.

the 'cherry' finish is solid wood. but i have a plywood one and it sounds great. it could use better pickups, and the switch is garbage, but it has one of my favorite necks ever

isn't there a dean thats around the same $$?

• Members

He should play the Special IIs, some Affinity Strats and Teles, maybe a Dean or Yamaha, some used trad-ins if w/in his budget, and pick the one that speaks to him.

Nothing inherantly wrong with the Special IIs. Most have nice necks. He'll prob wanna upgrade the electronics at some point tho. But that is prob the case w/any $150 guitar.

• Members

For a budget guitar with buckers the Special II's are great. I know a lot of guys with high end guitars that own and play Special II's. Billie Joe Armstrong from Greenday played one with Pinhead Gunpowder (this was after he was stinkin rich from the Dookie record). For the money I think they're badass, plywood or not.

• Members

I replaced the pickups in mine with some German-made Schaller PAF type pickups that came out of a Heritage guitar. I also replaced the crappy tuners.

Other than that I'm loving mine. All solid mahogany and the body is two-piece...Great sound and build quality for 150 bucks.

• Members

I just got a white special II last week. For the price it's not a bad guitar but could use some upgrades, mainly pickups and tuners. I.m.o. it has a pretty nice sound played through a valve junior. Also, I would suggest trying it before you buy because I ordered through m.f. and got lucky but this is a $150 guitar so your mileage may vary. Be sure to check the fretboard, mine was fairly dirty.

• Members

I'll bet everyone who posted "worst guitar I ever played" is under the age of 20. You guys never had to suffer through the 70's and true {censored} budget guitars.

Hey, action 1/4" off the fretboard just made our fingers stornger! And intonation, we didn't need that fancy {censored}. :) And Humbuckers that were really single coils with big cover to look like buckers had great tone.

• Members

Most people on these forums think Epiphones suck. Maybe they have legitimate reasons for having that opinion.... though I kinda doubt that.

But I have 6 Epiphone guitars and the quality is consistantly great in all of them. And I bought them all at different times from different sellers.

They all play great, feel solid, and look GREAT! And since I upgraded the pickups on 'em they SOUND GREAT!

The stock pickups were good but not as good as the Gibson pickups I ended up putting in 'em.

• Members

For a budget guitar with buckers the Special II's are great. I know a lot of guys with high end guitars that own and play Special II's. Billie Joe Armstrong from Greenday played one with Pinhead Gunpowder (this was after he was stinkin rich from the Dookie record). For the money I think they're badass, plywood or not.

Wait, wait, woah dude, someone has heard of Pinhead Gunpowder! And I know the gig you are talking about, the backyard gig IIRC.

Archived