• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

rock:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f-mPmho02Cg

blues:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_KVCMYG390o

:thu:

Ugh, I hate the "blues guitar" genre. I know it's the most popular arm of the blues, but it just puts me to sleep:bor: ; how many times can I hear some mindless wanking in a Pentatonic scale a predictable (often 12 bar) rhythm section? From SRV to Son Seals to Debbie Davis, I'll let someone else have them.

At least in the early days of country blues, when music theory was crude and performances uneven, the the rhythm was dynamic and always changing as the player just sorta pounded it out to the beat of the audience.

I also hate jam rock and guitar wizards. I just hate prolonged solos.:bor:

• Members

Hi,

I'm looking around for a bassist and a drummer lately, and bumped into this crowd at my campus.

I asked them, you guys can play the blues (think clapton/bluesbreakers, hendrix, beck, page) with me? I got this weird look, and they said that they only do ROCK...

???

Those artists you mentioned are ROCK players. At any rate the dudes that say they only do Rock shouldnt have a problem grooving on the 1-4-5.

• Members

Ugh, I hate the "blues guitar" genre. I know it's the most popular arm of the blues, but it just puts me to sleep:bor: ; how many times can I hear some mindless wanking in a Pentatonic scale a predictable (often 12 bar) rhythm section? From SRV to Son Seals to Debbie Davis, I'll let someone else have them.

At least in the early days of country blues, when music theory was crude and performances uneven, the the rhythm was dynamic and always changing as the player just sorta pounded it out to the beat of the audience.

I also hate jam rock and guitar wizards. I just hate prolonged solos.
:bor:

What do you like then?

• Members

i can see your point, sometimes a lot of stuff these days is very lifeless or self indulgent, but blues is really the foundation of jazz and rock, and probably even most modern popular music (pop, rhythm and blues, etc.). so it's good to know your roots. ;)

but i just don't agree that it's always "mindless wanking." there's a lot of subtlety of phrasing that goes into good blues. for me, that's often what distinguishes "real" blues from blues rock. the phrasing, the ideas, the display of understanding the vernacular. most of all, it's about the feeling. i don't know how you can hear the first few bars of even something like that d.davies vid and not respond when she starts to dig in. it's the blues, man! :D (and omg, she has some awesome tone. :eek: )

• Members

+1.

To my mind, "Blues" is the likes of Robert Johnson. I *love* that kind of blues (and I'm in my mid 20's btw).

Cream, SRV, Clapton, as far as I'm concerned, play "blues-rock", which to my mind is absolutely god awful.

Still, to each their own I suppose.

Sam

+1000. It ain't "wrong" to dig blues rock, but true blues, to me, was stuff recorded in the 1920s and 30s. Once it headed north into the cities and got electric and boogiefied, there was still some cool {censored}, to be sure, but it's continued to get blended with rock and personally, that stuff doesn't do it much for me.

• Members

What do you like then?

For blues, I love the really old stuff, Charlie Patton, Robert Johnson, Blind Willie McTell; including those who resurfaced in the '60's folk blues revival (Son House), and those that really hit their prime late in life, RL burnside, Junior Kimbaugh (sp?). With the early stuff, the foundation was still weak and shifting and everything was kind of unpredictable and random, you could really hear the influences of everything from tin pan alley to Africa. By the '50's, there were still plenty of the first generation who now played that style live, but the 2nd generation was coming along and didn't have the same influences, all they could do was distill something not whole-y European into European music theory 9something WC Handy had done decades before, too), and that's with the primitiveness and randomness sort of feel by the wayside. After a while, it had been refined into a science, but also became a bit of a cliche. I'm not a purist who feels like the later guys weren't blues musicians, I just don't like it after it had lost its *direct* link to its pre-blues roots.

For rock, I like rhythm and song-based works. I could care less if a song has a guitar solo in it.

• Members

SRV, mindless wanking? wtf

• Members

wow, so many replies :)

well, i then asked them, how about blues-rock, which they shook their heads, and then simple 12-bars? collective shake of heads also.

i'm tired of playing red house all alone without the 12-bar beat... anyway its hard to find jammers who play the classic songs. looks like i'll playing all alone for the rest of my life :(

• Members
wow, so many replies
:)

well, i then asked them, how about blues-rock, which they shook their heads, and then simple 12-bars? collective shake of heads also.

i'm tired of playing red house all alone without the 12-bar beat... anyway its hard to find jammers who play the classic songs. looks like i'll playing all alone for the rest of my life
:(

If you're any good at all at it, find some old farts to play with. :thu:

• Members

Hi,

I'm looking around for a bassist and a drummer lately, and bumped into this crowd at my campus.

I asked them, you guys can play the blues (think clapton/bluesbreakers, hendrix, beck, page) with me? I got this weird look, and they said that they only do ROCK...

???

Kids. :rolleyes:

I play everything from blues to black metal. If it has guitar in it, count me in. :wave:

• Members

For blues, I love the really old stuff, Charlie Patton, Robert Johnson, Blind Willie McTell; including those who resurfaced in the '60's folk blues revival (Son House), and those that really hit their prime late in life, RL burnside, Junior Kimbaugh (sp?). With the early stuff, the foundation was still weak and shifting and everything was kind of unpredictable and random, you could really hear the influences of everything from tin pan alley to Africa. By the '50's, there were still plenty of the first generation who now played that style live, but the 2nd generation was coming along and didn't have the same influences, all they could do was distill something not whole-y European into European music theory 9something WC Handy had done decades before, too), and that's with the primitiveness and randomness sort of feel by the wayside. After a while, it had been refined into a science, but also became a bit of a cliche. I'm not a purist who feels like the later guys weren't blues musicians, I just don't like it after it had lost its *direct* link to its pre-blues roots.

For rock, I like rhythm and song-based works. I could care less if a song has a guitar solo in it.

Cool. When it comes to Blues music I am a big fan of the Pre-British invasion blues form / style ; both electric and acoustic. I like all the "Rocks" give or take. Good stuff:thu:

• Members

I was considering this the other day actually; I've read a lot of pieces calling Chuck Berry, Howlin' Wolf and others 'rock'n'roll guitarists'.

So then what's blues?

In my mind, Chuck Berry is nothing more than 'early' hot-rodded blues, and Johnny Winter is high-octaine electric blues :evil:

Eric Sardinas, IMHO, is taking the music a few stepds futher than Johnny Winter has in the 70's - like one should !

Hell, many international mag's and critics is calling the Black Keys blues too ;)

Is Jon Spencer Blues Explosion really blues ?

No matter, i still love 'em !!!

:thu:

• Members

Eric Clapton did a record with BB King and SRV at least did a show with Albert King?
:confused:

And the Stones did a live album with Muddy Waters?

Blues Explosion = punk rock.
:D

I dig The Stones' take on blues actually. But to tell you the truth, I don't care much for BB or Albert. It's that "smooth, Vegas-like" take on the blues that bugs me. For the post-1950s stuff, I much prefer Howlin' Wolf, Elmore James and Willie Dixon.

I mean, Clapton can mutilate Robert Johnson covers all he likes, but Keef Richards and Jon Spencer have more bluesy, rawboned grit than any of these other guys you mention.

Admittedly, there is a lot of punk to what Spencer does. I mean, I sure wouldn't call his work in {censored} Galore blues.

• Members

I dig The Stones' take on blues actually. But to tell you the truth, I don't care much for BB or Albert. It's that "smooth, Vegas-like" take on the blues that bugs me. For the post-1950s stuff, I much prefer Howlin' Wolf, Elmore James and Willie Dixon.

So if you don't like it (ie, it's not about skanky rhythm chops and a little bit country) it's not blues? ;)

I agree with you mostly except for Albert... his Stax material is great IMO. I used to be a country blues snob too, so I see where you're coming from.

... but Keef's Love In Vain sucks IMO. :o

Archived