Blues: Not rock?

dilin

• Members

Hi,

I'm looking around for a bassist and a drummer lately, and bumped into this crowd at my campus.

I asked them, you guys can play the blues (think clapton/bluesbreakers, hendrix, beck, page) with me? I got this weird look, and they said that they only do ROCK...

???

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I asked them, you guys can play the blues (think clapton/bluesbreakers, hendrix, beck, page) with me? I got this weird look, and they said that they only do ROCK...???

Metal guys, bless their hearts ...

• Members

You should have said blues-rock or named the bands that you were talking about.

+1.

To my mind, "Blues" is the likes of Robert Johnson. I *love* that kind of blues (and I'm in my mid 20's btw).

Cream, SRV, Clapton, as far as I'm concerned, play "blues-rock", which to my mind is absolutely god awful.

Still, to each their own I suppose.

Sam

• Members

Hi,

I'm looking around for a bassist and a drummer lately, and bumped into this crowd at my campus.

I asked them, you guys can play the blues (think clapton/bluesbreakers, hendrix, beck, page) with me? I got this weird look, and they said that they only do ROCK...

???

I just find that hilarious.

If you had asked them for Muddy Waters or Son House, I could see them balking. But the fact is the Page, Beck, Hendrix and even Clapton are rock guitars whom just happened to be based on and inspired by the blues. Purists can argue whether or not any of these are blues musicians, but no one can deny anyone on that list of being "rawk." (Okay, so Clapton is just adult-contemporary these days, but he used to rock.)

• Members

If you asked me if I played blues I'd likely give you a similar response.

Blues-rock although derivitive of actual blues is quite different from Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Buddy Guy et cetera.

Someone asks me to play some blues I think "jam over a twelve bar change", not Black Dog.

• Members

Hi,

???

Hendrix, Beck and Page aren't really blues players either. :freak:

Archived