can anyone compare the sound of an LP doublecut to a full body LP for me?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

can anyone compare the sound of an LP doublecut to a full body LP for me?

how close is the doublecut? is it basically just a similar sound, but not quite as thick because of the chambering? would you say it's still thicker/deeper sounding than most other style guitars... for example, prs and super strats?

see, I love how lp's sound, but I'm not really a fan of how well they play... but the dc's seem to be much more modern and faster playing... smaller neck, 24 frets, etc. do you think it would be a happy medium for me?

(I've decided on getting a G&L ASAT Special for lower gain stuff, and I want another guitar for higher gain rock, metal, etc...)

• Members

Pick up placement ( neck pu ) is different because of the 24 frets. I believe they still come with the 490 pu. I much prefer the burst buster.

That said. It sounds like a les paul! It is chambered but I don't hear that semi type woodiness. Hell, the LP Standard has weight relieve holes ( some may call that - a chamber.)

• Members

Pick up placement ( neck pu ) is different because of the 24 frets. I believe they still come with the 490 pu. I much prefer the burst buster.

That said. It sounds like a les paul! It is chambered but I don't hear that semi type woodiness. Hell, the LP Standard has weight relieve holes ( some may call that - a chamber.)

ahh, i'm not really talking about the pickups. I am going to change out the pickups no matter what. just the overall tone of the guitar itself. and for the neck pickup... it's slightly more trebly since it's lower?

• Members

There close. I owned both. The Double-Cut retains probly 90% of the SC's Tone. It definatly has a little bit of that Airey, Woody thing going on, It really is a Semi-Hollow. If you flip a DC over, and remove the control plate? Looks exactly like a Semi-Hollow. matter of fact, I made plate out of a hard black screen. So I would enhance the open air feeling to it. Definatly was noticable with the plate on or off. But the 24frets were a little uncomfortable to play. The necks almost seem extended, so it puts your wrist in a postion that is bothersome as the night wears on. I had TWO, a Studio and a Standard. The Studio's had a compensated bridge, so they sustained a little better. I'd LOVE to try the PRO with the 22fret neck!

• Members

There close. I owned both. The Double-Cut retains probly 90% of the SC's Tone. It definatly has a little bit of that Airey, Woody thing going on, It really is a Semi-Hollow. If you flip a DC over, and remove the control plate? Looks exactly like a Semi-Hollow. matter of fact, I made plate out of a hard black screen. So I would enhance the open air feeling to it. Definatly was noticable with the plate on or off. But the 24frets were a little uncomfortable to play. The necks almost seem extended, so it puts your wrist in a postion that is bothersome as the night wears on. I had TWO, a Studio and a Standard. The Studio's had a compensated bridge, so they sustained a little better. I'd LOVE to try the PRO with the 22fret neck!

thanks. for higher gain styles of music, do you think it would have more of a problem with giving feedback because of the chambering?

the guitar is probably a little more resonant due to the chambering, which is good, but can it still pull off the thick, deep chunky tones of regular LP's?

• Members

thanks. for higher gain styles of music, do you think it would have more of a problem with giving feedback because of the chambering?

the guitar is probably a little more resonant due to the chambering, which is good, but can it still pull off the thick, deep chunky tones of regular LP's?

It is like a solid body in terms of high gain...I get more feedback with my solid Ibanez SC than I did with my LP DC Standard. It can get very thick and chunky....think midway between a 'real' Les Paul and an SG.

• Members

It is like a solid body in terms of high gain...I get more feedback with my solid Ibanez SC than I did with my LP DC Standard. It can get very thick and chunky....think midway between a 'real' Les Paul and an SG.

hmm, between an SG and an LP? that sounds pretty good to me actually. I might just have to go for it and try one out i guess. kinda sucks though because I won't really know what I think about it without first buying one used and then swapping out the pickups...

how do you like yours overall?

• Members

I did like it just fine, unfortunately I was WAY too young to appreciate it when I bought it. I was 17 and sold it to pay for school. It was amazing sounding and playing, just so fat and defined, all stock. The only thing I could ever complain about was the neck-heaviness.

• Members

Thats Chambered. I could tell by looking at it. You remove your back control plate. And take a GOOD LOOK in there. The center block extends from the neck to ALMOST the butt of the guitar. LEAVING what is in effect a U shape that go's right around the center block. Really they are built similiar to a Semi Hollow. The EARLY Studios were REAL neck heavy cause he had 59 profile necks on them. The Standards have 60 profile. I haven't pulled a PRO apart though. They might be different.

• Members

Thats Chambered. I could tell by looking at it. You remove your back control plate. And take a GOOD LOOK in there. The center block extends from the neck to ALMOST the butt of the guitar. LEAVING what is in effect a U shape that go's right around the center block. Really they are built similiar to a Semi Hollow. The EARLY Studios were REAL neck heavy cause he had 59 profile necks on them. The Standards have 60 profile. I haven't pulled a PRO apart though. They might be different.

Well cut me off at the knees and call me tripod, your bloody well right ya know..........I stand corrected.

There are some that arnt chambered though wasnt there???

• Members

I had a DC Pro, which is 22 frets, burstbucker pickups in the right place. Couldn't tell any difference between it and a standard. Played a 24 fret in a shop for a while. Still sounded pretty close, but I would think moving the pickups would have to have some effect.

• Members

Special weight-relief double cutaway body design

That seems to be the semi-hollow portion.

I was planning on making a "very" semi hollow les paul DC with a P90 at the neck and a HB at the bridge (this was before the BFG was on the scene mind you). Hmm . . . I think if I do, I'll make it to the PRO's specs; joined at the 19, 22 fret.

Archived