I'm going to give away my Yamaha Pacifica,Squire Tele's a better guitar!

KATMAN

• Members

I never thought I'd say it,but my Squire Tele is just a better guitar than my Yamaha Pacifica.I battled with the Yamaha now for a number of years now and it is no longer the back up,it's #3. The action on the guitar will not stay stable.It gradually keeps dropping till the strings almost touch the neck. I took it in the shop last year to prevent this problem,but sure enough it went down again. My other guitars,bass,Squire Tele and MIM Strat are very stable and have not doen anything except a string change.Every time I pick the Yamaha I get discouraged. So,I think I'm going to polish it off and give it to a kid a church. He wants a electric guitar real bad,so I plan on giving him one.

It's not the first time I've gave a guitar away.This guitar will probably save me some grief somewhere down the road. Any of you ever give a guitar away,because you no longer liked it? I hate to admit it,but the Squire Telecaster Standard Series out plays the Yammy easily.I didn't like the Tele at first because i felt the action was too high.Now I find it comfortable and suitable,especially in Open G for slide.

• Members

Well... I gave away a bass one time that had outlived its usefulness. That thing had always been a hunk o' junk, though.

But honestly, it sounds like you just need to replace the saddles on your Yammie... prolly something stripped in there. I mean, unless you like everything else about the Squier better as well. But if the Yammie's in good shape and you can't find a deserving recipient, you might at least be able to trade it for an EQ pedal or somethin'...

• Members

Well... I gave away a bass one time that had outlived its usefulness. That thing had always been a hunk o' junk, though.

But honestly, it sounds like you just need to replace the saddles on your Yammie... prolly something stripped in there. I mean, unless you like everything else about the Squier better as well. But if the Yammie's in good shape and you can't find a deserving recipient, you might at least be able to trade it for an EQ pedal or somethin'...

the frets on the pacifica i used to have were like towers:eek:

i like squires much betters

but then again, i really like squire guitars a lot

• Members

The Squire just out plays the Yamaha,tone wise and everything else wise.I could probably rework the Yamaha,but then I'd want to change everything else too.I've had a good five,six more,maybe even more years and it wasn't really played that much.I'm just going to clean it up and give to someone who wants it badly,and give it a good home.

• Members
If you're giving it away...I'll take it...I'll even pay shipping...b/c I'm such a stand up guy...

I'm sure you are! But I decided I'm going to give it to a needy kid instead.I've seen his acoustic and it has really high action,He'll probably like it better to mess with. But the amp stays,I'm not that nice.:D

• Members
So,I think I'm going to polish it off and give it to a kid a church. He wants a electric guitar real bad,so I plan on giving him one.

Great idea, and I personally think you'll get more out of that act than anything you could trade it for. Very nice gesture. :thu:

• Members

Every time I pick the Yamaha I get discouraged. So,I think I'm going to polish it off and give it to a kid a church. He wants a electric guitar real bad,so I plan on giving him one.

So are you truly helping this kid by giving him your junk that a quick saddle change would fix and let him be discouraged instead?.. It's a wonderful gesture to offer it up to someone thats needing the help, but hopefully youll be able to help him progress in his guitar playing rather than turn him off totally because his first electric sucked ass. .. JUst my thoughts.. maybe help him to change the saddles and work with him on the best part of having an electric guitar.. all the work ya do to keep it in shape:thu:

• Members

If the action keeps changing on all six strings, I doubt its the saddles. What are the odds that all six saddles are bad?

I applaud you for wanting to give it away, but I think you should have it fixed first. You're really not doing the kid any favors by giving him a guitar where the strings end up on the fretboard.

• Members

So are you truly helping this kid by giving him your junk that a quick saddle change would fix and let him be discouraged instead?.. It's a wonderful gesture to offer it up to someone thats needing the help, but hopefully youll be able to help him progress in his guitar playing rather than turn him off totally because his first electric sucked ass. .. JUst my thoughts.. maybe help him to change the saddles and work with him on the best part of having an electric guitar.. all the work ya do to keep it in shape:thu:

The guitar is still quite playable.And I don't think it's in the saddle either.I think he'd like it,he has played the guitar before.But I don't expect you to understand.

• Members

The strings aren't really on the fretboard.The fretboard is wide and thin,I prefer thick.After playing the Tele a bit,I like the higher action and have gotten use to having it this way.The Yamaha has a feel very similar to that of a Kramer that I once had.The strings were also low action like this guitar.I'll re-string for him as wellI bought this guitar used,maybe the owner before prefered the action this way.I don't anymore.

• Members

I agree with everyone. Get it right before you give it to him. I played {censored} guitars for years then quit all together from frustration. Now that I can afford decent stuff it's all the difference. I'd have never stopped even with my crappiest guitar now.

Archived