Gibson or PRS?

IAmAScientist

• Members

That's really a personal decision you gotta make. My preference is with Gibson, but that's my opinion. The feel of a good LP is unbeatable to me.

Which do you think I should buy? A ferrari or a lambourghini? It's basically the same comparison. They both have great build quality and distinct styling. Go try out as many as possible and find one that sings. One thing though, the PRS with its 5-position selector seems to be a tad bit more versatile if that's what you're goin with.

• Members

lp has more of a thicker tone. prs has more tonal options but are a little thin. just depending what you want.

I want a fuller sound. The last few guitars I bought for 500 bucks or less were such pieces of {censored} that I've given up on cheapies for now and just want something solid and dependable. My dad has a wicked '67 SG that I love, but I've also played a killer sounding PRS in the past and liked it. Is a PRS worth the extra thousand or would I just be a moron to pay 2k+ for an electric guitar?

• Members

I want a fuller sound. The last few guitars I bought for 500 bucks or less were such pieces of {censored} that I've given up on cheapies for now and just want something solid and dependable. My dad has a wicked '67 SG that I love, but I've also played a killer sounding PRS in the past and liked it. Is a PRS worth the extra thousand or would I just be a moron to pay 2k+ for an electric guitar?

How long have you been playing? What amp are you going to play through? What are you going to be playing?

• Members

That's really a personal decision you gotta make. My preference is with Gibson, but that's my opinion. The feel of a good LP is unbeatable to me.

Which do you think I should buy? A ferrari or a lambourghini? It's basically the same comparison. They both have great build quality and distinct styling. Go try out as many as possible and find one that sings. One thing though, the PRS with its 5-position selector seems to be a tad bit more versatile if that's what you're goin with.

What do you think about a 335 or other semi-hollow in comparison with an LP?

• Members

PRS and Gibson are pretty comparably priced. They both have relatively cheap models and they both have models in the tens of thousands. You need to be specific about models. I'd rather have an es-335 than a Custom 24 and I'd rather have a McCarty than an Les Paul. Nobody can say what you'd like other than you. They both make excellent guitars.

• Members

PRS and Gibson are pretty comparably priced. They both have relatively cheap models and they both have models in the tens of thousands. You need to be specific about models. I'd rather have an es-335 than a Custom 24 and I'd rather have a McCarty than an Les Paul. Nobody can say what you'd like other than you. They both make excellent guitars.

I hear that advice and I know its true, but as I don't get up to enough stores that carry these, I'm just wondering if there was a big preference between one company or the other. I mean, I played a Jimmy Page LP one time that blew my mind, but couldn't tell you any other particular models. Recommendations to try are appreciated.

• Members

I agree that you have to go and play some guitars and buy what you like. Asking people on this forum will get you people's own personal opinions. Some like LP and dislike PRS and vice versa. Buy what you like. Both are excellent choices for rock music.

• Members

What do you think about a 335 or other semi-hollow in comparison with an LP?

Oooooh

I own a '57 Custom RI Gibson, and it's a nice guitar. But in all honesty, I wish I could afford a nice 335 or 336. They've got tonal characteristics that I cannot attain through the LP (especially a mahogany neck, mahogany body, mahogany cap LP). It's a lot crisper and cleaner sounding. A lot more snap to it.

A good comparison would be between a Hollowbody PRS and the 335. Definitely go check them out. One issue you're going to run into is feedback. Hollowbodies and semi-hollows will feedback when overdriven or distorted too much.

When I bought my guitar, I had tried several USA Jacksons, Fenders, PRS, Ibanezes, and Gibsons. It came down between a nice PRS Custom 22, a PRS Singlecut, a Gibson '57 Goldtop RI, and the '57 Custom RI. I ultimately chose the Custom. The neck feel and the build quality felt much better than on the other guitars (not so much the PRS ones, the other brands though). That being set, I'm partial to set necks and massive necks. So if that's not your thing, don't listen to my advice.

• Members

I had a PRS once, sold it when I got my hands on a LP. These are 2 great guitar makers, I prefer Gibson for personal reasons, you can't go wrong getting one or the other, you will need to spend some time in the music store and experiment with both and make a decision for yourself. They both make high quality gear, they are both trendy and seen onstage everywhere and they are almost identical price wise. To me, nothing comes close to my LP, but again it's personal.

• Members

My amp is a Fender Concert 1x12 Rivera series. I've considered getting a different amp but am not particularly knowledgeable there, either.

Mostly you have to be knowledgeable about your own tastes. I don't know anything about the Concert 1x12 amps, but I think a good amp will have as much impact on your sound as a PRS or a Gibson.

Try to get to some stores that will let you play some guitars through some amps for long enough to know what you like. I'm not a Guitar Center hater, but the main sales floor of a Guitar Center isn't a good palce to try guitar amp combinations.

• Members

about 4 weeks ago i put a down payment on a prs singlecut. to me its worth it. i love everythig about prs

• Members

I hear that advice and I know its true, but as I don't get up to enough stores that carry these, I'm just wondering if there was a big preference between one company or the other. I mean, I played a Jimmy Page LP one time that blew my mind, but couldn't tell you any other particular models. Recommendations to try are appreciated.

A PRS CE-22 is one of the best all around guitars for the money out there.

• Members

Neither (unless the Gibson has p-90's). For the type of music you're talking about, you'd be better off with single coils.

Read my response in your other thread you started about the same damn thing.

Or get a first act Paul Westerberg model for $150.

• Members

Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely excited to go and start playing some different models of these guitars. I guess what I was really looking for was about the sound of a PRS versus an LP. I mean, I play both lead and rhythm and while I like a good, muddy tone, I also like a crisp, singing lead tone, although too much treble can ruin that for me. Any advice on a good combo amp for $500-1500 for the kind of sound I described above?

EDIT:

Neither (unless the Gibson has p-90's). For the type of music you're talking about, you'd be better off with single coils.

Read my response in your other thread you started about the same damn thing.

Or get a first act Paul Westerberg model for $150.[/]

My first thread sank like a stone; sorry for the double post. I'll check out the first act and the other thread.

• Members

Just to throw out there... I think the Amerian PRS stuff is more consistantly 'perfect' out of the box than sub $2,000 Gibsons. If I play 5 Les Pauls, I'm likely to drool over one, be happy with two and find that two need a major setup and possibly a new nut. If I play 5 PRSs, all five of them feel very similar. Not identical, but all excellent.

Of course, you can look at this from the other perspective and say that a good Gibson has mojo or a soul and the PRS is just a hunk of wood.

Personally, I think they both make fine instruments... outstanding really. But since you mention having had cheapies that you feel need work... Well, by most sources, Gibsons will tend to need more work than a PRS. But, a lot of folks seem to have issues with some of the PRS pickups.

I don't currently own a Gibson or a PRS but I've played countless examples of both. And a PRS Single Cut will likely be my major purchase this year.

• Members

Just to throw out there... I think the Amerian PRS stuff is more consistantly 'perfect' out of the box than sub $2,000 Gibsons. If I play 5 Les Pauls, I'm likely to drool over one, be happy with two and find that two need a major setup and possibly a new nut. If I play 5 PRSs, all five of them feel very similar. Not identical, but all excellent.

Of course, you can look at this from the other perspective and say that a good Gibson has mojo or a soul and the PRS is just a hunk of wood.

Personally, I think they both make fine instruments... outstanding really. But since you mention having had cheapies that you feel need work... Well, by most sources, Gibsons will tend to need more work than a PRS. But, a lot of folks seem to have issues with some of the PRS pickups.

I don't currently own a Gibson or a PRS but I've played countless examples of both. And a PRS Single Cut will likely be my major purchase this year.

Well, I don't have a ton of money but I also can't settle for anything less than an awesome guitar. I just figure that it'll be worth it in the long run. I'll have to play both before I can be sure, but the advice so far has been

Also, to the guy who told me to check out the SG Classic, it looks rad. i'm going to go play one ASAP up on Sunset.

• Members

Well, I don't have a ton of money but I also can't settle for anything less than an awesome guitar. I just figure that it'll be worth it in the long run. I'll have to play both before I can be sure, but the advice so far has been

Also, to the guy who told me to check out the SG Classic, it looks rad. i'm going to go play one ASAP up on Sunset.

What's your budget?

you can get a really nice PRS for fairly cheap if you're patient, or go the Elderly music route:

http://elderly.com/brand/30U_prs.html

http://elderly.com/brand/30U_gibson.html

Archived