Peavey T 60 ?'s

streetknight

• Members

Huge mistake. It sucks when people hack them all up and put different pickups in them. The part about them that's good (if you like it) is the unique electronics.

Yes. This gets to the heart of the T-60. It's a funky guitar. A bunch of people love it. Some are tepid about it, due to the weight and lack of a "signature sound." But the reverse of the latter consideration is that it's very versatile and can do LP-ish all the way to Tele if you care to learn how to use it.

Whatever you do, please don't mod it and destroy it's value to someone who will appreciate the design as it was intended.

BK

• Members

My local guitar shop has one for sale as a project. Some previous owner removed the pickups and pickguard. What kind of pups were standard? They look unique in the pictures.

There were two types. Both were Peavey humbuckers.

The original model had what T-60 peeps call "toasters" and were less high-output than the later models. The later models had hotter "blade" or "rail" pickups.

Again, for more info always go to http://www.peaveyt60.com

• Members

I have a slab PAF one that I bought new in '80 or '81 and it weighs like 11 pounds. I picked up a contoured white one with a rosewood neck and rails that had some electronic issue for $175 w/ the case from samash a while back. I only bought it because I knew it was a good price.

Was it the Sam Ash in Columbus?

• Members

Had one when they first came out... feh... not really to my liking.. heavy as hell, kind of generic tone to my ears.. It was ok, but just didn't do it for me... bob

I think that "generic" tone is what makes them so great. In a live situation, the T-60 adapts to any kind of music. I can go from a dirty southern rock to an AC/DC with a flip of a tone knob. Plus it cuts through like no other guitar I've ever owned.

• Members

A great performance was Stevie Ray Vaughan and Johnny Copeland playing live at Montreux in '85.

Copeland was playing his white/rosewood T-60, and the two of them playing together was amazing..

Here is a video of SRV and Copeland at Montreux playing "Look At Little Sister". The song is about 8 minutes long, and they really kick into gear at around the 2:30 mark. :thu:

t60-cream.jpg

Archived