Did gibby put out an SG with an ebony board in the 80's?

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

So I found an SG supposedly from the 80's. It is said to have an ebony board. The big thing that bugs me is it has a '61 reissue style pickguard, and it doesn't say anything about being moddled after the '61.

You guys know if this is legit?? I'd looooove an SG with an ebony board...

• Members

Yanno Google is your friend.

Go here....

http://www.everythingsg.com/identify_guitars.htm

14th row down there is a Firebrand.

Also one on the bay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1980-GIBSON-Firebrand-SG-Guitar-W-Hardshell-Case-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ280079894452QQihZ018QQcategoryZ47073QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Firebrands were basic budget models.Not really worth big bucks.

• Members

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

February 3rd, 1984

Production Number: 22

that's what guitardaterproject.org says.

Do you have pictures of the headstock? That would help...

EDIT : this SG is heritage cherry...or red to say the least, I don't think there were red FireBrand SG's...

• Members

I can't think of any other SG that had that switch placement.Possible refinish? A pic of the headstock would certainly help.Definitely worth a call to Gibson.

EDIT. After a bit of research on the LPF,it appears that they did produce some solid colour firebrands which are rarer than the naturals.Can't find a pic though.

• Members

i can't find any photos, but gibson made a model in the 80s that had no pickguard, that control layout, and an ebony board (when i worked at a music shop we had a white one) that wasn't a firebrand (which are made of walnut, iirc). the logo is the screened kind (not the fancy inlay), and there's no neck binding.

i've only seen white and black ones, but if i had to guess, i wouldn't be surprised if gibson made a few red ones, this being one with an aftermarket pickguard added. it might be a refin, though.

all in all, if it's a true gibson, then i'd bet my lunch that the ebony board is original, if that's what you're worried about - replacing a fretboard is a pretty big job.

my money is on the 80s special with an added guard. just my .02 :thu:

• Members

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a firebrand now. I looked at the headstock and it says "The SG" on it. This might also explain the '61 styled pickguard too, isn't 61 the first year that they started calling them SG's instead of Les Pauls?

So are these around the same quality as a Faded or Special or something? I'm wondering if it would still be a step up from my Epi Elitist. I like my elitist better than any Faded series, but it does fall short of the SG Standard... I wonder how it ranks.

So if these are budget models, would you say they are worth 800+?

Thanks for all the helps guys. You really know your stuff.

• Members
i can't find any photos, but gibson made a model in the 80s that had no pickguard, that control layout, and an ebony board (when i worked at a music shop we had a white one) that wasn't a firebrand (which are made of walnut, iirc). the logo is the screened kind (not the fancy inlay), and there's no neck binding.

i've only seen white and black ones, but if i had to guess, i wouldn't be surprised if gibson made a few red ones, this being one with an aftermarket pickguard added. it might be a refin, though.

all in all, if it's a true gibson, then i'd bet my lunch that the ebony board is original, if that's what you're worried about - replacing a fretboard is a pretty big job.

my money is on the 80s special with an added guard. just my .02
:thu:

Good guess, but since the headstock says "The SG" on it, I'm all but sure it's a firebrand now. It also mentions being made of walnut. Thanks for chiming in tho, it's very much appreciated. I've never played a walnut guitar before, wonder how it would sound...

• Members

I have my doubts about this. The contour around the horns doesn't look right to me, if it were a Gibson ,it would have more contouring at the horns, instead of being cut flat like the pic you provided. Also, the shape of the lower horn doesn't appear quite right to me.

It might just be picture quality thats throwing me off tho.

The serial number would be right for the year and switch/control positions. No ebony fretboards available for that year, only rosewood, to the best of my knowledge. If it were a Gibson with ebony, it would almost certainly have block inlays rather than dots. Without more pics, especially of the headstock, I couldn't really say anything more than "it doesn't feel quite right".

Regards, ...Scott

• Members

I have my doubts about this. The contour around the horns doesn't look right to me, if it were a Gibson ,it would have more contouring at the horns, instead of being cut flat like the pic you provided. Also, the shape of the lower horn doesn't appear quite right to me.

It might just be picture quality thats throwing me off tho.

The serial number would be right for the year and switch/control positions. No ebony fretboards available for that year, only rosewood, to the best of my knowledge. If it were a Gibson with ebony, it would almost certainly have block inlays rather than dots. Without more pics, especially of the headstock, I couldn't really say anything more than "it doesn't feel quite right".

Regards, ...Scott

Yeah, I know what you mean, I want it to be legit, but I still feel wierd about it.

Archived