Roller bridge or Graphtech?

mrbrown49

• Members

Sounds like your situation is very similar to mine. I already took care of the nut problem. I am not having that many tuning issues, and I am pretty sure the issues I do have are because of the bridge. It came stock with a really crappy TOM with saddles that must be pretty soft, because the strings dig into the metal and leave grooves where the windings are. I can see that being the problem. Thanks for your input, its a big help. For $25 I suppose I should just try it and see if I like it. I get a ton of sustain already, so even if I lose a touch, I can't believe I am suggesting it, but it might be a good thing.

Yerp - My OEM TOM did the same thing.

This one makes it a little harder to chickin' pick, if that matters. Also, be careful when tightening the intonation screws, mine stripped out pretty easy. (fortunately, I was able to get them loose, and they still work - you just don't have to crank down on them at all for them to hold.)

Otherwise, it seems good, for $25 it's worth a shot. Still using mine.

• Members

How so?

BTW, your gretsch is Beautiful!

Thanks! - the more I play it, the happier I am with it.

Well, here's what I think, although it may be hard to describe...

On the original TOM, the saddles sit up a bit from all the other finished edges of the top of the bridge. On this model we're talking about, all the finished edges are sitting pretty flush with the tops of the saddles.

Meaning, while it feels much more smooth and comfortable on the meaty part of the right hand (whereas with the TOM you might feel the saddles sort of poking you) this can make it a little more difficult to "deadhand" let's say.

While it is, at worst, an unnoticeable adjustment to sort of palm-mute the top 3 or 4 strings, I find I really have to roll over to do the same with the E1 and B2. -- certainly not impossible, just wanted to make you aware of the difference I have noticed. - ymmv, of course.

• Members

Thanks! - the more I play it, the happier I am with it.

Well, here's what I think, although it may be hard to describe...

On the original TOM, the saddles sit up a bit from all the other finished edges of the top of the bridge. On this model we're talking about, all the finished edges are sitting pretty flush with the tops of the saddles.

Meaning, while it feels much more smooth and comfortable on the meaty part of the right hand (whereas with the TOM you might feel the saddles sort of poking you) this can make it a little more difficult to "deadhand" let's say.

While it is, at worst, an unnoticeable adjustment to sort of palm-mute the top 3 or 4 strings, I find I really have to roll over to do the same with the E1 and B2. -- certainly not impossible, just wanted to make you aware of the difference I have noticed. - ymmv, of course.

Thats interesting. I imagine it would feel quite different. I just ordered one, so I should know in a few days how I like it. Thanks so much for your input.

Archived