GFS Pickup suggestions part Deux

chiro972

• Members

I am looking to replace the vintage noiseless pups in my strat and apparently the search function won't work for 3 letter words like "GFS"

Anyway, Jay has such a wide variety of choices I wonder if anyone here can make a suggestion. I like to play blues and classic rock stuff and I need good cleans but the ability to play decent crunchy tones. Think SRV to maybe Doobies China Grove.

Can you suggest what might be the best choice in a GFS set of single coils?

• Members

I've had a couple of strat sets. Present faves are the 70s greybottom non-staggers. Before that I had the 60s premium vintage staggers without RWRP mid.

The 70s greybottoms are punchier than the 60s version, with bigger bottom end and more even tone. However the 60s set with non-RWRP had quack in pos 2 and 4 to absolutely die for. With varied pick attack and damping it could sound like I had a wah pedal. I wish they did the other set with a non-staggered mid PU.

If it's the SRV type tone you want then I'd suggest that 70s set. The tone is quite big and they respond well to mild overdrive. All 3 PUs are useable too - quite a few strat sets are weak on the bridge, but these are fine.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/60grbostsemo.html

• Moderators

I've had a couple of strat sets. Present faves are the 70s greybottom non-staggers. Before that I had the 60s premium vintage staggers without RWRP mid.

The 70s greybottoms are punchier than the 60s version, with bigger bottom end and more even tone. However the 60s set with non-RWRP had quack in pos 2 and 4 to absolutely die for. With varied pick attack and damping it could sound like I had a wah pedal. I wish they did the other set with a non-staggered mid PU.

If it's the SRV type tone you want then I'd suggest that 70s set. The tone is quite big and they respond well to mild overdrive. All 3 PUs are useable too - quite a few strat sets are weak on the bridge, but these are fine.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/60grbostsemo.html

Another vote for the non staggered Greybottoms, astounding pickups at any money, and stupid for the price.

• Members

I'm glad this was brought up.. If you were going to replace pup's in a JV (maple neck) with something besides the texmex thing goin on and you already had a rosewood strat with Duncan Alnico pro II's in it, would the GFS Alnico premium vintage be the way or would the greybottom 70's (6.8/6.3/5.8) be more fitting for all around good tone that's diff than the pro II's?? Kinda long winded but I can't find the resistance figures for the GFS vintage premiums on their site, so far.... Probably ignorance on my part but it's been a long week, Thanks , Bob

• Members

I can speak for the GFS Alnico Vintage Staggered Premiums with the RW middle that I have had in a guitar for about 8 months. The are very chime-y but can get a bit bright if you are at 10 on tone and volume pots. They do pretty well with light distortion but get a bit messy with a lot of gain, go figure. I can get pretty darn close to some Frusciante tones as a point of reference.

The pups I have been toying with getting is the hottest GFS 60/70's non-staggered grey bottoms for a bit of that Pink Floyd tone if you will. But I honestly can get some great tones out of the set I have. I guess I'll just have to buy another guitar for the new pickups!:eek:

Just kidding, I am on a Jazzmaster kick right now.

If you want some crunch I might go with some higher output pups like the Texas grey bottoms of he max power greys. My opinion only.

• Members

Mariner, The resistance will be less or the price... I wasn't sure which you meant.. Have you played a non- rwrp set before?? Thanks, MadFish

I was referring to the resistance, the prices are all up there for anyone to read.

I've not used a non-RWRP set before I had these - almost everyone makes RWRP only sets. I wish I could have a non-RWRP mid PU in the set I have got, as that quack was just fabulous.

Firelt9 - normal strat single coil PUs usually sound crummy with *high* gain - they just don't have the right kind of tone and output. The Clapton strat with the TBX booster system could do high gain better than a conventional strat, presumably because of the mid-boost that could be dialled in.

• Members

Thanks to those who kept this thread going... Mariner, I was aware the prices were posted and thought you meant resistance so I was just clarifying... I'm still trying to decide the tonal differences betweeen the 60's repro's and the premium alnicos.. Knowing the non-rwrp will quack does explain some of it so can I assume the Repro's are a tad hotter with their slightly higher Resis. ratings or am I comparing something so minute that it will be negligble... Not trying to be long winded but does .2 diff show up in sound?? Thanks, HeyBob (madfish)

• Members

I just ordered a Xaviere XV-850 Thursday night. I was reading an old SRV article from an '85 issue of Guitar World I found in the attic and it talked about the Danelectro equipped Strat copy he used on Tin Pan Alley. I love that tone, so I may install the GFS Pro Tubes in my XV-850 in the future.

Archived