Easy to use Linux distro: Chubby Puppy.

daklander

• Members

DAYUM!

I downloaded a bunch of live cd linux distros over the last few days to try out so I can get my daughter on something she can't easily get filled with spyware and virus'. I Have Mepis Linux on her pc now but have been having problems with wireless connection It's, Mepis, what I normally use on this box. I'm running now off the live cd of Chubby Puppy Linux. Took all of five minutes to get the thing on the net and most of that was finding the tool. Just a great little distro so far. It's a small distro that has had Open Office added for an office suite, Mozilla 1.8b1.5 as a browser, Sylpheed as email, gaim for chat & some other features. Obviously, she doesn't need any of the developer tools.

I think I'm going to see if I can get it on her computer today, at least fire up the live cd and see how this handles wireless. That will be the key but it's quite impressive so far.

Another distro that I've tried and works great though it's a bit more involved is Mepis Lite. Very nice distro and well worth a shot.

• Members

Originally posted by phaeton

What's Linux?
:(:confused:

Linux is a free (open-source) operating system for computers. There's a ton of applications, also open-source and free. You can pretty much do anything with it instead of Windows nowadays, though there are some areas such as gaming where you'd still need Windows. The security is much better than Windows, pretty much nothing in the way of viruses.

http://www.linux.org

Of particular interest to HC people would be the audio apps - you can get (also for free!) various soft synths, multi-track recorders, etc. Audacity, which is also available for Windows, is one such package from the open-source movement. "Ardour" is a pretty good multi-track recording program.

http://www.ardour.org

• Members

Don't mind phaeton, he's just causing trouble . Why I oughta....

Trouble? No! I just read up this Linux stuff... It was invented by some Russian guy named Linos Torovaldi as some hax0r tool that runs in a DOS box. He was also responsible for that TELENET program that allows you to connect to a computer without using phone lines! That was used by the KGB *EXTENSIVELY* to break into non-networked USG computers during the Cold War. Just because the Berlin Wall came down and the Soviet Union disbanded doesn't mean that COMMUNISM isn't alive and well. All those old Russian states that broke off are now splinter factions of COMMUNISM. Our enemy went from one to Manifold!

What's more, there is an emerging cult leader now in the United States. His real name is Saint Sandoval Igatius but in the U.S. he goes by Richardo Stallin. He lures in college kids with talks comparing "Free Linux" to "Free Beer". He preaches Pinko Commie stuff like love for Music and Butterflies but he is *ONLY* using that to weaken the current generation for the invasion. Once the Linux Application makes its inroads, it has facilitated the deployment of his evil plan called EMACS, which is designed to take over an entire computer. It only needs a useable text editor to become complete. Allied forces have recognized the weakness in lack of communication, and have worked for decades to poison its codebase and jam its text processing abilities. Lest we not talk about another propagandist, who only goes by the name "ESR". He has published an entire tome of "rules" and "guidelines" for this 'hacker' movement called TNHD...

Trouble you say! I'm not causing trouble! I'm saving Amerika!!

• Members

Don't mind phaeton, he's just causing trouble . Why I oughta....

Trouble? No! I just read up this Linux stuff... It was invented by some Russian guy named Linos Torovaldi as some hax0r tool that runs in a DOS box. He was also responsible for that TELENET program that allows you to connect to a computer without using phone lines! That was used by the KGB *EXTENSIVELY* to break into non-networked USG computers during the Cold War. Just because the Berlin Wall came down and the Soviet Union disbanded doesn't mean that COMMUNISM isn't alive and well. All those old Russian states that broke off are now splinter factions of COMMUNISM. Our enemy went from one to Manifold!

What's more, there is an emerging cult leader now in the United States. His real name is
Saint Sandoval Igatius
but in the U.S. he goes by Richardo Stallin. He lures in college kids with talks comparing "Free Linux" to "Free Beer". He preaches Pinko Commie stuff like love for Music and Butterflies but he is *ONLY* using that to weaken the current generation for the invasion. Once the Linux Application makes its inroads, it has facilitated the deployment of his evil plan called EMACS, which is designed to take over an entire computer. It only needs a useable text editor to become complete. Allied forces have recognized the weakness in lack of communication, and have worked for decades to poison its codebase and jam its text processing abilities. Lest we not talk about another propagandist, who only goes by the name "ESR". He has published an entire tome of "rules" and "guidelines" for this 'hacker' movement called TNHD...

Trouble you say! I'm not causing trouble! I'm saving Amerika!!

How interesting! Since you like conspiracy theories, try this one:

I read once that Kernigan & Ritchies babies (unix, C, and related stuff) was actually funded by our Gov't as technology that was intended to be stolen by the Russians, to cause their ecomony to implode by spending intense effort in making anything work.

Seems reasonable, I guess...

• Members

Originally posted by philbo

I read once that Kernigan & Ritchies babies (unix, C, and related stuff) was actually funded by our Gov't as technology that was intended to be stolen by the Russians, to cause their ecomony to implode by spending intense effort in making anything work.

Seems reasonable, I guess...

rm -rf */ 34px-Hammer_and_sickle.png

:D

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

darklander - how's that playing out?

Ain't playing out for {censored} MorePaul.

The cpu fan quit and it looks like either the cpu or MoBo took a dump too so...

What I did to get the daughter up is grabbed my up and coming audio dedicated box and tossed in the 10gig hard drive and fired up Chubby Puppy on it. I couldn't get it to work with the wireless card and I'm flat ass tired of screwing with computer OSs for awhile so I installed Linspire 5.0 on the box and that's what she's running until I can pick up another mother board, cpu and fan package at the right price.

Once I get to the point of getting another board combo and do the hardware install i'll give it another shot because it really looks like a great Linux distro. BeatrIX is another one I'm interested in. Both run great off of live cd so should be rockets off the hard drive. They're both minimal distros but with enough stuff to be able to easily work with word processors, email, net browsing & other simple operations. Great for the common man, or woman, or boy, or girl......

Shut my mouth and slap me upside the head for such talk.

• Members

I think that all of my installations needed a certain amount of shaking down, but I have always gravitated toward distributions with a large installed base. That really helps when you have to google your way through a snag.

I started with RedHat and then went to Debian. Both are well supported.

Have you tried Ubuntu? It is a well funded project with pretty high goals.

• Members

I think that all of my installations needed a certain amount of shaking down, but I have always gravitated toward distributions with a large installed base. That really helps when you have to google your way through a snag.

True enough. Nothing that some better documentation wouldn't help, but you know.

If y'all are feeling adventurous, don't forget to give a nod to the BSDs. I recommend www.freebsd.org from personal experience. There's a PC-BSD that's aimed at n00bs but I haven't tried it yet. All in all my experience with Linux has been good- tried a lot of different distributions and primarily used Debian Sid for the better part of several years- but I've got to say that FreeBSD is where it's at. Everything seems a bit more logical, the documentation is second to none, and pretty much everything works right the first time. BSD users have the reputation of being stodgy, gruff and impersonal but I'm here to tell you that if you're nice and put some effort into figuring things out yourself they'll welcome you with open arms.

Right now FreeBSD 5.4-Release is the current offering, but i've got some inside word from the developers that a 6.0-Release is coming up around the 21st or so (roughly).

cheapbytes.com sells BSD cds, as well as the respective websites of

www.freebsd.org

www.openbsd.org

www.netbsd.org

www.pcbsd.org

Dak- sorry to hear about your hardware troubles :-(

• Members

Originally posted by spokenward

I started with RedHat and then went to Debian. Both are well supported.

Have you tried Ubuntu? It is a well funded project with pretty high goals.

I use Mepis as my main distro and have it running on this box. I've tried lots of others, including Ubuntu. Mepis seems to be the best for me, on this box. At this time the only reason I don't have her in the Mepis Lite version is because it's not yet wireless friendly and I just don't have the desire to screw around with ndswrapper and jumping through hoops to get wireless going. Linspire 5.0 was up and running with wireless with 15 minutes of starting and reboot to set the parameters.

It's a D-Link DWL-G510 PCI card.

The main reason I was trying to go with Chubby Puppy is that fact that it is a pretty slim distro that would fit on that small 10 gig hard drive and leave some room for file storage but still has everything my daughter needs in an Operating system, with net access, email, chat, music playing capabilities and word processing capabilities. That Office suite looks like a lightweight but killer app.

That's the reason behind that and the look at the BeatrIX distro.

We'll see how it goes for the time being and when I have a chance to get to Fry's I'll pick up one of their Celeron or Sempron cpu/MoBo combos for fifty or sixty bucks and slam that in the old box and she'll be good to go on her own system again.

• Members

Right now FreeBSD 5.4-Release is the current offering, but i've got some inside word from the developers that a 6.0-Release is coming up around the 21st or so (roughly).

cheapbytes.com sells BSD cds, as well as the respective websites of

www.freebsd.org

www.openbsd.org

www.netbsd.org

www.pcbsd.org

Dak- sorry to hear about your hardware troubles :-(

I'm going to try BSD again in the near future. It looks like they are making some rapid advancements in ease of use.

As far as the hardware troubles, {censored} happens. That board and processor, incuding fan went through a lightening strike a couple of years ago so I'm really fortunate that it went this long. The power supply took the main brunt of the surge and got fried. That may have been the protection for the rest of the system. No drives got fried either.

I haven't really had the time to check it out, other than to pull the fan and check it and verify that it was bad. So, I may pick up a fan and heatsink first but but for now the daughter us up and running.

Archived