LP Customs

keith2112

• Members

I've always liked Standards much beter both in finish and fretboards. The customs are non weight relieved aren't they? Do they all have huge necks? I think both White and Silverburst look great. Who here has em. How do you like them???? thanks. Oh yea, what pups do well in them?

• Members

I have a '57 Custom Reissue. It has the '57 classics in it. A very good muddy clean, overdrive sounding guitar.

IIRC, they are not (especially historics) weight relieved or chambered in any way. Mine has a huge neck, but the new customs have '59 Rounded profile necks. Some consider them huge, others don't, the former being used to prestige or wizard type necks. It's the same neck as a studio and falls between the two neck options on the new standards. The old standards, pre-2002, used the same neck profile.

And I love mine, but it has a deeper tone than normal customs due to the larger neck and mahogany cap as opposed to the maple cap

• Members

Mine is the best guitar I've ever played. I can get any tone that I want out of it. The neck at first to me was bigger than I liked, but after a while, you don't even notice it.

I'd like to get a 57 custom, but if this is the only custom that I'll ever have (hell if this is the only Les Paul or Gibson that I'll ever have) I won't complain.

And yeah, they are non weight relieved. But it's worth it because the tone is just fantastic.

• Members

I have many Les Pauls, one of which is a '79 Custom.

It sounds considerably different than my 2 other full size humbuckered LPs.

Why, I don't know, as the only significant difference between a Custom and other LPs is the ebony fingerboard.

• Members

I bought a white Custom 10 years ago with no regrets. It is slightly lighter in weight than my Standard.

I like the dual binding that the Custom has (not that it shows up much on a white Custom). I have JBs in both bridge and neck in the Custom and like it a lot. These pickups are not universally loved though. Some don't find them hot enough or not enough bottom end. They sound fine to me and seem to always sound better when playing live (rehearsal or gig).

lespaul12.jpg

The Custom and Standard feel about the same to me, other than the slightly heavier weight to the Standard. Most differences are cosmetic (inlays, binding). Rosewood fretboard on the Standard, Ebony on the Custom.

whitecustom2.jpg

• Members

I have a '57 Custom Reissue. It has the '57 classics in it. A very good muddy clean, overdrive sounding guitar.

IIRC, they are not (especially historics) weight relieved or chambered in any way. Mine has a huge neck, but the new customs have '59 Rounded profile necks. Some consider them huge, others don't, the former being used to prestige or wizard type necks. It's the same neck as a studio and falls between the two neck options on the new standards. The old standards, pre-2002, used the same neck profile.

And I love mine, but it has a deeper tone than normal customs due to the larger neck and mahogany cap as opposed to the maple cap

when did they start putting rounded necks in them?

i absolutley love the 59 necks, and theres a local craigslist add for an 87 black beauty for 1500 bucks OBO

Archived