Question on pickup height

piper19

• Members

Hello, I was servicing my Tele today, setting intonation, new strings etc... Now I have a Fender booklet which says that the pickup height should be 6/64"" under the strings (bass side) for my vintage pickups. I did that with the neck, which was pretty accurate from factory. Now the bridge is causing some troubles. If I have to follow the 6/64"" rule, I have to raise the pickup a lot. And of course while playing and switching pickups, the bridge comes out in a louder volume.

What should I do, what is the normal height for a vintage tele pickup?

• Members

The bridge p'up coming out louder is what you want anyway. In everybody's opinion, I think it's safe to say. This would be a problem if it was the other way around.

The only real problem with p'ups too high is the magnetic field can interfere with string vibration and so being too close to the strings is not ideal.

• Members

Hello, I was servicing my Tele today, setting intonation, new strings etc... Now I have a Fender booklet which says that the pickup height should be 6/64"" under the strings (bass side) for my vintage pickups. I did that with the neck, which was pretty accurate from factory. Now the bridge is causing some troubles. If I have to follow the 6/64"" rule, I have to raise the pickup a lot. And of course while playing and switching pickups, the bridge comes out in a louder volume.

What should I do, what is the normal height for a vintage tele pickup?

I was going by some setup instructions that said to have the pick-ups 1/4" from the strings!! I can't get them that far away no matter what I do, and it seemed like WAAAAYYY to far away.

I think you want all your pickups relatively close to the same distance from the strings, just for the reason you said.

Archived