how often do you practice

rockraccoon

• Members

Depends on what you mean by 'practice'.

I don't often just sit down and practice scales or technique or anything. Maybe once a year I'll do that.

I do, however, try to spend an hour or two at least a couple of times a week just tinkering around with different ideas, and spend quite a bit of time recording.

• Members

Rarely if ever.

If we've new songs to learn I'll learn them before rehearsal and if a section needs firming up I'll work on it. If we've a gig coming up I may warm up a little the night before or that afternoon. But as far as the woodshedding style of practicing goes, I just don't do that anymore. Haven't done that in a long time, like 30 years or so.

In the mid 80's I badly dislocated a finger and had to work fairly hard to get it to cooperate again. That was the last time I did any serious practicing. So I guess that was about 20 years ago.

What a slacker! ;)

• Members

If I miss practice three day in a month my audience will notice it in my performance. If I miss practice twice in one month, my wife will notice it in my performance. If I miss practicing once in a month, I will notice it in my performance. The only answer is everyday. When I was growing up, one of the big golfers of the day was Lee Trevino. Everyday he used to hit 1000 golf balls in the morning, and then go play on the course. He use to say that there is no such thing as natural touch. Touch is created by hitting millions of golf balls. The same is true playing any instrument. There is no natural touch. Touch is created by playing for hours on end. In the end, you will only be as good as you want to be. The only answer is each and everyday.

• Members
If I miss practice three day in a month my audience will notice it in my performance. If I miss practice twice in one month, my wife will notice it in my performance. If I miss practicing once in a month, I will notice it in my performance. The only answer is everyday. When I was growing up, one of the big golfers of the day was Lee Trevino. Everyday he used to hit 1000 golf balls in the morning, and then go play on the course. He use to say that there is no such thing as natural touch. Touch is created by hitting millions of golf balls. The same is true playing any instrument. There is no natural touch. Touch is created by playing for hours on end. In the end, you will only be as good as you want to be. The only answer is each and everyday.

Interesting...

My audience doesn't notice. Mind you it's a pretty small audience but I've gone on bandstands, just stunk up the joint and have had audience members praise me like I wa the 2nd coming.

I've become pretty convinced it has more to do with how hard you're trying than how well you're actually playing. Other words if I'm giving everything I've got they seem to know it and will tolerate a few stumbles. OTOH playing it perfectly doesn't seem to thrill them as much if they sense I'm holding back. They can tell the difference.

I'm not sure I'd enjoy standing up to the kind of scrutiny you seem to be subject to. :(

• Members

I like to pick up my ash strat at night and go thru scales and new ideas. I do not plug it in so I can be quiet. It has a great tone unplugged. I try to do this 3 or 4 days a week for 1/2 hr to 1 hr each time. I also have a boss loop machine and practice using it if is not to late at night not to bother the rest of the family. The loop machine has helped me more than anything else and it never complains about playing the same progression over and over so I can work out new leads. I play out at 2 different places each week. I improvise and like to be fresh with my sound. I do not coppying others and their leads

unless a known song demands it.

• Members
Rarely if ever.

If we've new songs to learn I'll learn them before rehearsal and if a section needs firming up I'll work on it. If we've a gig coming up I may warm up a little the night before or that afternoon. But as far as the woodshedding style of practicing goes, I just don't do that anymore. Haven't done that in a long time, like 30 years or so.

In the mid 80's I badly dislocated a finger and had to work fairly hard to get it to cooperate again. That was the last time I did any serious practicing. So I guess that was about 20 years ago.

What a slacker!
;)

cant wait till im as good as that:wave:

• Members

If I have spare time, I try to have a guitar in my hands, if doing nothing else, but squeezing chord shapes for exercise. Even when I was teaching bass last night, I turned myself out of the mixer and while the student was working out something for himself, I was quietly just playing.

I like 'practicing' more than any other activity....'specially when I have a recorder and can doodle around with chords and leads.

• Members

I'd like to practice more, but having a family cuts into practice time. Plus I have the onset of tendinitis, and since I work at a computer for a living, playing guitar another 3 hours a day is pretty much not possible. I probably get in 3 to 4 hours a week - more if I have multiple rehearsals...

• Members
Interesting...

My audience doesn't notice. Mind you it's a pretty small audience but I've gone on bandstands, just stunk up the joint and have had audience members praise me like I wa the 2nd coming.

I've become pretty convinced it has more to do with how hard you're trying than how well you're actually playing. Other words if I'm giving everything I've got they seem to know it and will tolerate a few stumbles. OTOH playing it perfectly doesn't seem to thrill them as much if they sense I'm holding back. They can tell the difference.

I'm not sure I'd enjoy standing up to the kind of scrutiny you seem to be subject to.
:(

Not that I have ever played in a band, but as a member of small audiences from time to time I think that you hit the nail on the head about relaxing up there and letting the music be expressed as something more organic rather than presented as a math test. That may just be me though.

I do think that the level of expertise is relative to the amount of looseness or feel that you can give because if you aren't able to play fairly well than you are going to be tight and insecure and probably sound like a mess than as someone with feel. So while you may not need to practice as much to get your chops up you sound like you put the time in prior.

I personally don't 'practice' but I do try to play atleast 4-7 times per week. Actually I don't make a conscious effort it is just something I do because I enjoy it and after a day of work it is relaxing. I like learning new stuff though I rarely take the effort to master it or learn it verbatim.

Honestly I don't know what the hell you would call what it is that I am doing, but I have fun doing it and it keeps my manhood from wandering around other women which makes the wife happy.

Oh yeah, each time I play it is probably about 2-6 hours a crack. My hands don't get tired.

• Members

about 5 hours a day

however, lately, i got this new videogame. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess for Game cube. that cut my playing time down to 1 1/2 hours a day. there's no way around it. i have to beat the game or else i'll never play more than that in a day. i got it 3 days ago and have been playing the game for 20 hours + now. i'm not a big videogame player. In fact, i think this is the best game out since Final Fantasy X. that was a long time ago and that's the last time i spent playing videogames this long. here we go again. great game! might be better than Ocarina of Time!

• Members

I try to practice every day for at least an hour. And I follow a schedule so I am not doing the same things over and over again and not improving. I move from my Gibson to the Taylor and then to recording and songwriting. So I am pretty busy with it in all of my spare time. But that is the love I have for it.

• Members

Every day, for as much time as possible. I try to avoid 'screwing around'. If I learn a song, I learn one that forces me to get better with my technical abilities in order to play it, so that I am still actively pushing myself every day.

On average each day I go between 2 and 6 hours. So....3 a day?

At the same time I work and I am going through graduate school, so....sorta limited there.

• Members

I usually get in about two hours a day. I've been thinking recently about how to make my practice more effective. I worked out a little routine of exercises, scales, and things I need to work on.
I was thinking of starting a thread asking you guys how you used your practice time.

• Members

I practice every morning at 4:30 AM for one hour before going to work.
I sometimes get to practice more upon returning home, but I get at least that much practice daily every day, including weekends.

I have been doing this for 35 or so years.

• Members

about 5 hours a day

however, lately, i got this new videogame. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess for Game cube. that cut my playing time down to 1 1/2 hours a day. there's no way around it. i have to beat the game or else i'll never play more than that in a day. i got it 3 days ago and have been playing the game for 20 hours + now. i'm not a big videogame player. In fact, i think this is the best game out since Final Fantasy X. that was a long time ago and that's the last time i spent playing videogames this long. here we go again. great game! might be better than Ocarina of Time!

i started playing Halo again. gave it up a few years ago for various reasons but picked it up again recently and im hooked

• Members

cant wait till im as good as that:wave:

Back in the day when I did practice, I practiced A LOT.

I was one of those 8 hours a day guys. I did that EVERYDAY for about a year or so, might've even been a couple of years. I'm still playing off of mostly the chops I developed form that period.

• Members
:eek:

OMG...
I just remembered I used to practice scales and positions on my forearm in class when I was in HS! What a dork I was! Used to work out fingerings for scales in all position using my right forearm as the fretboard. I mean, it worked and all but what a geek I must've looked like!

I can remember people asking too "What are you doing?" and of course I'd say "Practicing scales." I also remember they kind of accepted that as a good answer, like "Oh, that makes sense." Then again, this was Berkeley... :freak:

Archived