Nitro or poly...is there a way to tell?

Hoddy

• Members

It's pretty easy to spot the difference once you been exposed to enough guitars that use either.

It's much easier to just know what guitar and year it is. If it's not a Gibson (or a few olther high-end companies), or made are 1970 or so, chances are about 90% it's poly.

• Members

if you are willing, remove a small flake of finish from someplace inconspicuous (like under a pickup ring or a bit of overspray in a body cavity, etc) then place in in some lacquer thinner. True nitrocellulose will dissolve or at least get really really soft and gummy. Modern 'nitro' finishes from the big name manufacturers are catalyzed to speed up the curing process - this makes them a polymer of nitrocellulose, and alot more impervious to lacquer thinner, so they may not even soften. Then you just have to look to the manufacturer based on the model and year it was made.

• Members

if you are willing, remove a small flake of finish from someplace inconspicuous (like under a pickup ring or a bit of overspray in a body cavity, etc) then place in in some lacquer thinner. True nitrocellulose will dissolve or at least get really really soft and gummy. Modern 'nitro' finishes from the big name manufacturers are catalyzed to speed up the curing process - this makes them a polymer of nitrocellulose, and alot more impervious to lacquer thinner, so they may not even soften. Then you just have to look to the manufacturer based on the model and year it was made.

Thomas is correct in this - a catalyzed nitrocelluslose lacquer (whaich is what I use) will indeed be much more resistant to softening with lacquer thinner. But it will eventually do so. Poly will NOT at all disolve or soften in lac thinner or acetone. But regular lacquer will instantly, and even catalyzed lacquer will soften in a little bit of time.

AJC

• Members

Here's what I do:

Dim the lights in the room. Hold the guitar in playing position, sitting or standing with a strap. Run your hands over the instrument, neck and body, while concentrating mentally. Allow the sense perceptions from your hands to go straight to your mind. Use controlled breathing techniques.

Now, does the guitar feel cheap and crappy, even icky? It has a poly finish. Does the guitar feel smooth, rich, vibrant, alive? Nitrocellulose.

Do you feel like plugging in to an amp and playing, right now? Nitro. Feel like getting out of that dark room and watching some good TV? Poly.

Always glad to help.

• Moderators

Here's what I do:

Dim the lights in the room. Hold the guitar in playing position, sitting or standing with a strap. Run your hands over the instrument, neck and body, while concentrating mentally. Allow the sense perceptions from your hands to go straight to your mind. Use controlled breathing techniques.

Then you go down on it?:freak:

• Members

Easy way to tell...Play the guitar for one of many unnamed "Tone Gods" on the forums here, over the phone ,and they will be able to spot the massive tonal difference immediately!

They will tell you what you have!!!

• Members

If it dissolves from my had sweat and leaves a mark where my hand rests on the face of the guitar after a year or so of playing, it's nitro.

I can feel the difference pretty easily. Poly feels more like plastic and nitro has a more glassy feel.

Archived