A funny but interesting fake

• Members

I think it's the drilled holes behind the truss rod cover that set off warning alarms, not the truss rod cover itself.

Yeah, but it's had a Floyd or Kahler or something fitted at one time, so the holes may have been for a stringlock/lockingnut type thing.

Looks legit to me as well.

• Members

Didn't Explorers have the trapezoidal truss covers? Looks like it was replaced with an LP cover as the cover looks brand new.

Seems like an awful lot of effort put in to relic/personalize/parts-change a fake.

That said, I'm no expert so hey.

• Members

Yeah, but it's had a Floyd or Kahler or something fitted at one time, so the holes may have been for a stringlock/lockingnut type thing.

+1 looks real to me. its just an explorer with some battle scars. i'd rock it! :thu:

• Members

But the holes don't protrude through to the other side of the headstock...

It looks legit, but that thing's so carved up I'd probably never buy it unless it came dirt cheap

• Moderators

A string guide only needs two screws, that's the upper two, the lower two are in exactly the same place as an Epi....although I suppose someone as well as a Kahler or FR rout on a Gibson mat also have fitted an Epi TR cover?:)

Plus a locking nut would have required a portion of the fingerboard cutting back.....unless there's a locking nut that doesn't require that?

• Members

Plus a locking nut would have required a portion of the fingerboard cutting back.....unless there's a locking nut that doesn't require that?

Many old Kahler lock nuts were units that just screwed in behind the regular nut without a neck modification

• Moderators

1983...this is what Gibson offered:

Gibson Explorer Korina ( 1982 - 1984 )

The gibson korina is very similar to the original 1958 gibson explorer model and is highly collectible , the guitar had gold knobs , nashville tune o matic bridge , korina body and neck , 2 humbuckers , 8 digit serial numbers and were available in candy apple red , natural or ivory finishes .

Gibson Explorer 83 ( 1983 to 1989 )

In 1983 Gibson introduced a Gibson explorer that had an alder body and was referred to as the gibson explorer 83 . The Guitar had 2 humbuckers , maple neck , ebony fingerboard , 22 fret dot inlays , triangular knob patterns and chrome plated hardware . Discontinued in 1989 .

Gibson Heritage Series ( 1983 - 1984 )

In 1983 gibson also made a reissue of the original 1958 gibson explorer with a korina body , the guitar had gold hardware and only a 100 were made ,they called it the gibson heritage series . ( highly collectible )

That wood in the rout is not Korina, too dark and wrong colour, that headstock has been refinishe and I can't see any Explorers with the decal at that angle. And it has Epi tr screwholes:freak: That is a very very interesting guitar....but a Gibson?:lol:

• Moderators

Looks legit to me. Plus, if you're going to spend time making a fake would an 80's Explorer be your first choice?

Nah, never said it was a one off effort. Chances are it started out life as an Epi, then got modded and after a bit of refinishing around the headstock, as quite a few people do here;) it acquired a stamped in serial, takes about two minutes, a Gibbo decal, 20secs, and then the paint on the reverse of the headstock didnt match amd hence the creme bits in certain places......call it an enterprising evolution.

• Members

Nah, never said it was a one off effort. Chances are it started out life as an Epi, then got modded and after a bit of refinishing around the headstock, as quite a few people do here;) it acquired a stamped in serial, takes about two minutes, a Gibbo decal, 20secs, and then the paint on the reverse of the headstock didnt match amd hence the creme bits in certain places......call it an enterprising evolution.

Actually, I can see where you are coming from...I thought Gibby explorers had an inlaid pearloid logo, not a transfer.

The other pics here look inlaid to me...you may well be right!:confused:

• Members

The TR cover on my 1991 '76 Reissue Explorer looks thr same as that one. BUT my Exp has a pearloid/inlaid logo. I do have an 80's Exp bass that had a transfer logo though, so I think it's legit.

Not sure what's up with the different headstock sizes on those guitars...

Archived