Pickups for an Epi Les Paul

DLDude

• Members

I'm looking to upgrade some pickups on an Epi Les Paul standard. Now, I dont know anything about humbuckers (as i'm a single coil guy), but what are some good pickups. I'm just looking for decent pickups to replace the rather lack-luster standard pups

• Members

North Miss Allstars, other jammish bands. A little grittier.

Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF pro for the neck.

BTW....You may need an F-spaced (DiMarzio) size pup or Trembucker size (Duncan) for the bridge slot so that the pup poles line up with the string spacing. The neck pup size is regular. I found that out when getting a new pups for my 06 Explorer. Gibson changed the dimensions of their bridges around 1990 or so. I don't know if that includes Epiphone.

• Members

I agree I love the DiMarzio's I have been playing lately. I also like the BB-Pro's by Gibson. If Coi-Splitting is NOT a issue or price, go with the Gibsons. If you want to spend small bucks and have coil-tap options......PAF-PRO's by DiMarzio. Seymour Duncans are well made pups also...the 59/JB set may be your ticket? It a old standby that many players swear by.

• Members

I'm looking to upgrade some pickups on an Epi Les Paul standard. Now, I dont know anything about humbuckers (as i'm a single coil guy), but what are some good pickups. I'm just looking for decent pickups to replace the rather lack-luster standard pups

I know where you're coming from..... I don't know whether it was being primarily a single coil player for so long (still am), but I always found the pups in my Epi a touch on the muddy side - especially if I was using a lot of gain, I always had them wound right to the top of the treble end in order to avoid them turning to mush, which happens with a HB so much faster IME than a sc. I picked up a pair of GFS Dream 180s for mine (on Jay's advice as the closest in their range to providing me with the Steve Jones / Never Mind the Bollocks tone that is what I think of when I think Les Paul) and I'm very happy. If I really wanted to spend the big bucks on pups, I'd probably be looking at Bare Knuckles, but I could never justify the cost of those on a guitar that wouldn't be worth much more than the cost of the pups on the open market - bering in mind also that with a Gibby style, unlike a Strat, it's not just a simple matter of switching back to the original plate or parting out or whatever if I was to go to sell the guitar... For my money, GFS are equally as good as SD and Dimarzio and the likes (YMMV of course), but much, much cheaper. Always a bonus, but especially when it allows you to affordably try out some new pups.

I always wish there was an easier way to try out pups - so often it seems you're flying blind when buying new ones. Sure, we can hear samples, but you can't know how any of them will sound in your own guitar until they're wired in there..... seems to me there's much more guesswork involved there than just about any other purchase of guitar related stuff. At least with the GFS stuff, it's not anythingl ike as expensive a "mistake" if you try something out and don't like it....

• Members

Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF pro for the neck.

BTW....You may need an F-spaced (DiMarzio) size pup or Trembucker size (Duncan) for the bridge slot so that the pup poles line up with the string spacing. The neck pup size is regular. I found that out when getting a new pups for my 06 Explorer. Gibson changed the dimensions of their bridges around 1990 or so. I don't know if that includes Epiphone.

+1 on the PAF/SD combo yes,you definetly want the f-space pickup for the bridge I bought the reg spaced one (used) and the pole pieces on the high strings are way off.It doesn't really seem to effect the sound (that I know of) but if i run across a good deal on an f-spaced one i'll probably hit it.

• Members

I used to have an Epi Les Paul Custom that I did a pickup swap on. I installed a set of Gibson 490R/ 498T. However, I was really disappointed in them and I eventually traded the guitar in. A lot of people like that combo, but for my taste, the 490R was too muddy in the neck, and the 498T was too harsh and trebley. But here are some other humbuckers that I use and like a lot:

neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz or Seth Lover, DiMarzio Air Norton

bridge: Seymour Duncan Custom Custom, DiMarzio Tone Zone, Gibson 500T

Archived