All you MIM tele experts...what'd I buy???

rog951

• Members

I think my crappy camera is responsible for most of the "darkness" of the burst. It's definitely more yellow in the center than it shows in these pics, although maybe not quite as bright as yours looks. Your little red outer ring looks brighter and more defined than mine too. I like both! I may try your recipe for fixing my paint chips, thanks!

I'm pretty certainly replacing the humbucker...it's muddy-sounding all right. I've lowered it and raised it but the mud won't go away. I'm digging the bridge pickup...I think it's a keeper.
:thu:
The bridge itself, I'm not sure. I like it fine really, but I'm sure there could be some improvement. I have a Wilkinson here (looks just like yours) for another tele project I'm in the middle of, so it'd be super-easy to try it out.

Thanks for all the info and advice!
:D

My pleasure! Definately try out that Wilkinson bridge and report back if you think it makes as much difference as mine did. And knock youself out trying humbuckers, but make sure one of the ones you try is a Seth Lover.

As I said earlier, I literally could not sleep the night I heard my guitar with that pickup in it.

• Members

Looks just like my hero Greg Koch's Tele, man am I jealous!!!
:mad:
Find somebody to do the Albert Collin's mod and it might sound like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUVXYWk_xVc

Nice score, looks like you got an outrageous deal!!!

Hey man, finally watched that vid. I like this guy's teaching style a lot. Gonna see what other vids he's got out there. Any suggestions?

• Members

Does it have Klusons and appear to have (at least originally) a 6-saddle ashtray bridge? Also, does it have a 5-way switch? If so, everybody saying that it's a TexMex Tele Special is correct. I have one in Sonic Blue with an AllParts TMO Fat neck on it.
:)

skye.jpg

I LOVE the 'bucker in the neck. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Van Zandt Vintage Plus and put a '52RI bridge plate on it.
:)

Did I miss you saying what color it is?

Oh man, I LOVE that sonic blue! :love: Very nice. Mine is a 3-color sunburst, a lot like Singin' Dave's...there's a couple pics of it back on the first page. BTW, it's definitely a Tex-Mex tele special; has all the attributes you mentioned. Thanks!

• Members

Damn, you {censored}in' stole that thing! I'm just pissed 'cos I'm looking for a MIM deluxe tele right now, and I'll end up paying >$400
:(

Right place, right time I guess...I'm hardly ever the lucky one when it comes to deals like this!

I checked Craigslist late before going to bed and his ad must've just been placed. I shot him a quick email before I hit the sack and when I woke up I had a response from him. Turns out he'd gotten a ton of inquiries but mine was first. Luckily I was able to drive down and get it from him that same day. I also ended up picking up a Shure KSM27 from him for $130.

• Members

My pleasure! Definately try out that Wilkinson bridge and report back if you think it makes as much difference as mine did. And knock youself out trying humbuckers, but make sure one of the ones you try is a Seth Lover.

As I said earlier, I literally could not sleep the night I heard my guitar with that pickup in it.

I've always wanted an excuse to try out a Seth Lover so this might just be it! Do you have any clips?!

• Members

No clips rog, but trust me on this one. As I said earlier, G&L uses this exact pickup in the neck of their Bluesboy models, a Fat tele (like ours) that sells for $1500 (unlike ours). If you don't like it, their resale value is excellent - you'd lose ~$20 at the most selling it back on eBay (probably less for a 4-wire custom version)

Shure KSM27 for $130? Man, did you score that day!

• Members

No clips rog, but trust me on this one. As I said earlier, G&L uses this exact pickup in the neck of their Bluesboy models, a Fat tele (like ours) that sells for $1500 (unlike ours). If you don't like it, their resale value is excellent - you'd lose ~$20 at the most selling it back on eBay (probably less for a 4-wire custom version)

Shure KSM27 for $130? Man, did you score that day!

I doubt I'd ever sell the Seth Lover...I know I like good PAF-style p/us and if it turned out I didn't care for it in this particular guitar (although from your reaction it sounds like a great marriage) it'd certainly find a home someplace else in my basement! :)

Yeah, the guy originally had the mic listed for $160 but I asked him how much he could let it go for and he said no less than $120. So I just gave him $280 for the mic and guitar! I think I did allright, except I haven't tried out the mic yet. If it turns out it's dead or something, then I guess I blew my profit margin for the day! ;)

• Members

Hey man, finally watched that vid. I like this guy's teaching style a lot. Gonna see what other vids he's got out there. Any suggestions?

You know I just discovered him myself with a Blues signature lick DVD at the local library and I had the same reaction (that segment was actually tame compared to some others - this guy is a hoot). He's also rather easy to follow - good teacher. Not sure what others he's got, but you could go to Amazon.com and find out.

Archived