The smell in this case is not just an odor, it's the BEAST!

• Members

Two suggestions:

Leave the case open in direct sunlight for a day, outside preferably. Hopefully the heat and exposure to UV radiation will accelerate the volatilization of any compounds from the construction of the case.

If that doesn't work, try fire... and lots of it.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I saw an old episode of the Partridge family in which the whole family was on the way to do a concert and were on their multi-colored bus and they stopped and opened the door and a skunk jumped in and sprayed them. They took baths in tomato juice to get rid of the smell. Or you might try charcoal- it absorbs odors.

• Members

The chemicals involved in constructing the case are off-gassing. Like new car smell only worse and probably not healthy for you.

Yup - it's probably some of the glues - they will not stop deteriorating for years and will stink the whole time.

That sucks dude, but you should return it if you can and replace it if you can't (for the sake of your lungs).

• Members

Only thing I tried that worked for my stinky case was "Love My carpet" pardon my pet.

Just dump it in and latch the case up for about a week

After the first treatment the smell started to reemerge after a few days, 2 treatments and it killed the beast. I'm so frightened it may try to return I leave some of it sprinkled around in there now just in case the stench might try to move back in. So far so good.

• Members

Here's my take on it -

It's the chemicals in the glue offgassing, as someone previously noted.

As such, nothing you ADD to it is gonna make it go away - it might cover it up, but it won't make it go away.

Only time and ventilation will do the trick.

• Members

I have a ALVAREZ case that I can't get rid of the smell in. Thats why all that smoke frree enviroment jive? Nonsense, these orders come from something else. I have a smoke free enviroment and the Alvarez was a BRAND-NEW case. The case came with the Acoustic and its a very good playing guitar which is why I didn't return it. I thought the order would fade in time? That has not happened and I can't rid the order either. But I remember back when my Shepard was hit in the face by a Skunk he snatched up in the yard {I tried to stop him} Man did he flip out, He came running back yelping and rubbing his face on the ground on both sides for awhile? I bathed him a couple times with Tomato Juice which did lessen the order a great deal. Then bathed him a few times more and finally got rid of the order. But after all that someone mentioned a very easy solution to the order? I THINK it was Vinager maybe? I'm almost sure but not 100%, It was definatly something simple like that. I haven't did anything with my case yet. And I'll tell you, I pick-up the acoustic the other day? Man the order is as bad as ever. Its tough when its in the lining cause then there's not much you could do? Like male Cat piss. Its impossible to get rid of in a Carpet. But if you pull up the carpet and trash it. Them KILZ the floor? You rid it by sealing it into the floor with the KILZ. But the lining is the issue? Ya I remember going through Hell with that Cat-Piss too. When I first moved to this home, my daugters bedroom had that smell. Thats how I got rid of it. That worked well. There has to be a simple solution!

• Members

My boss is gone for months at a time.

A rat died in one of her vehicles and it was rotted when we discovered it.

The smell was unbelievable when I opened the door.

We got this stuff at the drugstore call Ozium

Good stuff

• Members

I had a smelly case that came with my Takamine Classical, I believe it was a SKB brand, made in mexico, it smelled like somebody pissed in it on a hot day then closed it up and shipped it to the states, after about 2 years it stoped smelling, I think it's the foam or fake plastic velvet or something. I have a Ibanez Artcore case that is slightly funky as well, nothing works besides time man

• Members

I bought an inexpensive flight case for my Super Reverb.

Very chemical smell. Must be the carpet in there?

I aired it outside for awhile. It's closed up now.

I'd hate to transfer that smell to my amp.

Maybe I'll wait until I see someone tossing an ultra plush carpet

and cut a piece of that and replace the carpet?

That would give some extra padding too.

• Members

I feel real bad for ya man. I gotta admit the post has me in tears though. LMAO.:lol: I do have a possible solution for you though. The stuff is called DUMB CAT. We got it for the reasons stated above with the cats. You don't need the KILZ... this stuff really works on cat piss so it is worth a try on the beast. The makers are hilariously enough - Poop off brand products. Go to www.poop-off.com. Seriously, We got rid of the smell of wet carpet glue when our basement flooded with this {censored} too. This is the beast exorcist of modern times.

• Members

check if there's a rotting corpse in there somewhere
:D

There might be some truth to that. Is there any wood involved in the making of the case?

If so you might have a case of dead bugs in the wood which can produce a very bad smell.

Don't ask me why I know this, I'll just say I work around frames that are made in all parts of the world.

Archived