best blues strings

arcadesonfire

• Members

Most strings are nearly identical. Especially when you factor in some wear, the differences are subtle.

Nickel wounds would probably suit you best. Try out D'Addario's. SRV's tone is heavily impact by his heavy handed style and his string gauge.

• Members

Strings wont sound or feel thicker than their gauge...... if you want big string sound, use big strings.

You just gave me an idea for a pedal! :idea:

Well, I don't produce pedals myself - I am merely thinking that since we already have pedals that are alleged to be a "stack in a box," offering ".013 in a box" is just a white lie by comparison. Pedals are 95% hype anyway. :D

• Members
i thought i read somewhere that he used ernie ball's? anyways, i really like slinky's b/c they are cheap, last a while, and easy to bend. Good blues qualities.

I just read that in Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide (page 44), that SRV used GHS Nickel Rockers. And the gauges were pretty heavy, .013, .015, .019, 028. .038, and .058. But on the day that Erlewine measured the strings, Steve's guitar tech substituted an .011 for the high E, "to keep down the sore fingers that blues bends can cause." And he tuned to Eb.

Archived