String Cleaners - what, how and when

BTBAM

• Members

So...i have some of Dr. Stringfellow Lem-oil and I also have some finger ease. I know different things are used for different necks, but...what....and when? I didn't know if the finger ease is good on all guitar necks....and if so....when? Before playing? After playing? How often? Also with the Lem-oil....is that more as a every so often polish for rosewoods? Or is that put on after every gig or before every gig? I guess I am just trying to maintain the care of the guitar....but also have something to clean the top of the fretboard and back of the neck while also keeping it smooth for playing sake too. What do you all do/what do you all recommend?

• Members

If you can afford five dollars and fifty nine cents, this will cure your ails.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FastFret/

They even ship for free.

I just rub it up and down the strings quickly. It's dry enough I usually don't bother to wipe it off. I have a lot of guitars and it really helps prolong the life of my strings. Some of my guitars that get played infrequently can make it for years without string tarnishing as long as I give them this wipe down.

P.S. It comes with a little rag that you could also use to wipe your paw grime off the back of your neck if you want.

I've got 3 of them kicking around the house. One by each place I play. Bedroom, living room, and office.

• Members

I just wipe down my strings with a dish towel, it prolongs the strings like CRAZY. I {censored} you negative, I have a set that has to be near a year old on my main guitar. I have this completely stupid rule about not changing strings until I break one. It's getting to the point of being completely ludicrous with this set.

• Members

I just wipe down my strings with a dish towel, it prolongs the strings like CRAZY. I {censored} you negative, I have a set that has to be near a year old on my main guitar. I have this completely stupid rule about not changing strings until I break one. It's getting to the point of being completely ludicrous with this set.

• Members

If you can afford five dollars and fifty nine cents, this will cure your ails.

They even ship for free.

I just rub it up and down the strings quickly. It's dry enough I usually don't bother to wipe it off. I have a lot of guitars and it really helps prolong the life of my strings. Some of my guitars that get played infrequently can make it for years without string tarnishing as long as I give them this wipe down.

P.S. It comes with a little rag that you could also use to wipe your paw grime off the back of your neck if you want.

I've got 3 of them kicking around the house. One by each place I play. Bedroom, living room, and office.

agreed. fast fret is awesome. somehow, running that {censored} over my strings once makes everything feel and play better.

• Members

I use DR Stringlife(liquid polymer coating) which is really good, but the downside is because you apply it directly to the strings(rather than using a cloth) it's hard not to spill little bits and gunk builds up as a result. I used to use Washburn guitar juice and that was pretty good too. I bought some coated D'Addario's for my acoustic the other day and I'm gonna give those a try, for electric though I'm sticking to Stringlife for the moment. For cleaning the fretboard I use Keyser Lemon Oil and it's FANTASTIC - everytime I change the strings on one of my guitars(usually every 6-8 weeks or so, I don't play every day) I condition the fretboard with it :cool::thu:

• Members

I put Stringlife on when I change strings - before I put the string on the guitar.

But for day to day cleaning and lubrication, Fast Fret has done it for me for nearly 20 years.

Archived