Why no love for Michael Angelo Batio?

Big Muff

• Members

Watched Nitro's Freight Train and that was 4 minutes wasted in my life... :D

However, Rain Forest sounds alright... Not too bad actually... It's just that I find him missing a tad bit of expression... kinda like "lots of notes - very little notes - lots of notes - very little notes" sorta thing... there's not much in between... It's like having a really great melody there wedge between some shredding... not trying to knock him though.. he IS good... I just prefer someone more expressive... :idk:

but no flames please... I plead ignorance... I've only heard those two songs mentioned!

*grabs coat and RUNSSSSSS* :D:p

• Members

He can be melodic and he can play with feel.

I really like his tune 'Yngwie can't touch this', but I didn't see this tilte on any

of his CD's. Is there a tune called 'Yngwie can't touch this' on one of his CD's

or perhaps I've got a re-named file? (It certainly sounds like his style and his sound)

• Members

MAB is a super nice guy

Freight Train is the best video ever made

It is the video equiv of the movie 'Death Wish 3' (with soundtrack by Jimmy Page)

I love to watch both of these

My only regret is I never got a copy of 'Vocal Power' - Jim Gillete's (also a very nice guy) Metal Method instructional vocal video circa 1988.

People can knock FT, but the video is so amazing that if you tried to make it as a joke you would have never made anything that was half as good.

Also - in the above YouTube, notice MAB has a tat of his guitar on his right arm!

• Members

MAB fan/shred guitar fan here, too.

Just like any type of music, there is some great stuff out there, and some not so great stuff. (MAB is some of the great stuff)

Don't know this guy, but I love this little pyrotechnic display of shred -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQk3xjkt36E&mode=related&search=

The little tap lick he does at the end is killer! :thu:

On a Les Paul even - awesome :cool:

• Members

MAB fan/shred guitar fan here, too.

Just like any type of music, there is some great stuff out there, and some not so great stuff. (MAB is some of the great stuff)

Don't know this guy, but I love this little pyrotechnic display of shred -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQk3xjkt36E&mode=related&search=

The little tap lick he does at the end is killer!
:thu:
On a Les Paul even - awesome
:cool:

That was awesome!:love:

• 14 years later...
  • Members

Here's my take on Mr Batio

I met him a couple of times and he is an extremely nice guy. Technically he is probably one of the most advanced guitarists on the planet. His background and music training are unmatched. The dude knows his stuff. I am a much better guitarist because of him and no on else. And trust me I've seen many. Shredding is his thing. One of the fastest guys on earth. Speed metal extraordinaire. So if your into lightning fast riffs this is your guy. I happen to enjoy speed picking and I'm almost as fast because I follow his techniques. He can play just about every style of music but he prefers the fast stuff. But if you enjoy melodic Beatles type stuff as I do ..than yes It does get old. He can seem pretentious in his YouTube vids  about his travels to 50,000 countries etc. (so if your readings this Mike you might want to lay off about how knowledgeable and worldly you are because it can put people off and is irritating to hear in almost all your vids.) Just so you know.

All in all he is a cool dude and very funny with his alter egos Robert (his subdued right hand) and Joey (his evil and outspoken left hand)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

He's very polarizing because he's can come across as kind of a cartoon character but reportedly a very nice guy, not really egotistical like you would expect and got to watch a video at a clinic where he was showing off one particular technique and a guy in the audience asked him about something unrelated very specific, he literally went out of the audience and went up to the guy and showed him exactly how what he wanted to see was done even though it was kind of a deviation from what he was talking about.   Spent more time than you would think explaining it.    I get the idea if he'd come along 15 years previously he would have been dabbling in prog-rock and indeed, some of his solo work sounds like prog with shred guitar.  He'll probably be forever known for the double guitar and crazy double guitar playing but he's capable of more than that when needed.