Next Guitar= Les Paul.

RoboCop00

• Members

Not sure on the model type yet, but I'm steering towards the Classic series in Honey Burst.

299lpc-honey-burst.jpg

I've got two strats, a P-90 hollowbody, a classical acoustic and a martin acoustic. I think it's time for some humbuckers in the line up, and I'll GASing for some thick Les Paul tones. Plus that neck fits in my hands perfectly (well, maybe not as nice as my strat, but I really like it a lot, differently).

• Members

Just a heads up. For the price of a new Classic you can get a used Custom Shop '57 goldtop reissue. Believe me, the R7 will walk on just about any Gibson USA guitar made in the last few years. Better (lighter) mahogany, one piece body, long neck tenon, better feel, etc. Yes, I'm a corksniffer. :thu:

• Members

Just a heads up. For the price of a new Classic you can get a used Custom Shop '57 goldtop reissue. Believe me, the R7 will walk on just about any Gibson USA guitar made in the last few years. Better (lighter) mahogany, one piece body, long neck tenon, better feel, etc. Yes, I'm a corksniffer.
:thu:

Also huge neck, which most people, myself included do not get along with, its the reason I got rid of my SG. While its corksniffer goodness for some, many people buy guitars to play, not just to show off on internet forums. While on the other hand, the classics come with the slimmest neck Gibson provides, a definite plus for many players which dont have huge hands, or dont play mostly simple rhythm.

Not saying its not a good player, because I know they are, but seriously, if its not just right for me, I wouldnt give a {censored} about the length of tenon or the CS badge behind the headstock.

• Members

I really like the necks on those Classics, mores so than the standard (and especially standard faded) neck

the R8s have a nice neck as well

I played on of those GC R0s the other day and it was utter {censored}e

• Members

Also huge neck, which most people, myself included do not get along with, its the reason I got rid of my SG. While its corksniffer goodness for some, many people buy guitars to play, not just to show off on internet forums. While on the other hand, the classics come with the slimmest neck Gibson provides, a definite plus for many players which dont have huge hands, or dont play mostly simple rhythm.

Not saying its not a good player, because I know they are, but seriously, if its not just right for me, I wouldnt give a {censored} about the length of tenon or the CS badge behind the headstock.

Some people do prefer bigger necks,

so someone who prefers a bigger neck can say the same about a guitar with a smaller neck?

• Members

Some people do prefer bigger necks,

so someone who prefers a bigger neck can say the same about a guitar with a smaller neck?

I didnt say they didnt, but people throw out the R7 like its the band aid solution to all your guitar needs, because it happens to be the cheapest CS Gibson makes. Neck comfort is a significant factor, and the R7 has a baseball bat for a neck.

Whenever someone asks me for a guitar recommendation, the first thing I ask them about is their neck preference, because the feel of the neck will decide if that guitar will be good for the player.

• Members
Just a heads up. For the price of a new Classic you can get a used Custom Shop '57 goldtop reissue. Believe me, the R7 will walk on just about any Gibson USA guitar made in the last few years. Better (lighter) mahogany, one piece body, long neck tenon, better feel, etc. Yes, I'm a corksniffer.
:thu:

How does the R7 compare with the R8 and R9 in terms of those "occult" features?

• Members

Same features, differences in neck profile, its cheaper because it has a painted gold, or limited edition black top, instead of the plain maple or flame tops of the R8, R9, and R0.

• Members

they all have it, but the R7 having a gold top, means they dont use the most figured of maple for the top so they sell it for cheaper. Otherwise they're identical (although IIRC the 58 has a bit slimmer of a neck, the 59 has a bit slimmer than the 58 and the 60 has todays modern slim taper neck)

• Members

C'mon guys, help me out!

R just means Reissue

R7 = 57

R8 = 58

R9 = 59

R0 = 60

specifics can be found on gibson's website

or other questions can be answered on their custom shop forum...they'll even check a serial number for you and tell you when it was made and where it was shipped....

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/cgi-bin/toast.asp

Archived