NGD and a question! Epi LPC pickups

HOMER308

• Members

First of all - after an extreme bout of GAS - I jumped on an LPC lefty -

DavesEpiphoneLPCustom1.jpg

epi01b.jpg

Yeah, just got it - still has the pickup labels on it -

I'm perfectly happy with it right now, but was wondering if anyone knows of a reference to what pickups get put into each Epi model - these are nice, but I may decide to upgrade to Burstbuckers or 490/498, or even GFS Fats if they make that much of a difference.

Anybody have any insight as to what this guitar has standard and how they might relate to the pickups I mentioned above?

Your comments are welcome! Thanks!

• Members

Cool guitar:thu:

The stock Eppi pups if I am not mistaken are an alnico5 humbucker type. They sound "ok". I wouldnt want them in my main guitar. I have no experience with the GFS pups but putting in Gibson pups would def' be an upgrade (imo). You can snag Gibson sets off E-bay all the time for pretty cheap.

Another route is throwing in a set of DiMarzio pickups. You could go for a PAF-Pro neck and a Super Distortion bridge. They are a nice combo and good for getting all around Blues, Rock, Classic Metal type tones.

• Members

Looks great Homer308! Congrats!

I too have a black epi LPC, but its a LE model and came with alinco classic pick ups. Pretty sure their different then the normal LPC's. I went with the burstbuckers out my VM. After all the smoke cleared I like the BB bridge and the epi neck pup the best. I have the alinco classics in the VM now and they sound real nice.

I suggest playing with the stock ones and see what you like and dis-like about them and then go shopping from there.

Happy NGD!

:thu:

• Members

Looks great Homer308! Congrats!

I too have a black epi LPC, but its a LE model and came with alinco classic pick ups. Pretty sure their different then the normal LPC's. I went with the burstbuckers out my VM. After all the smoke cleared I like the BB bridge and the epi neck pup the best. I have the alinco classics in the VM now and they sound real nice.

I suggest playing with the stock ones and see what you like and dis-like about them and then go shopping from there.

Happy NGD!

Yeah,I'm still trying to figure which guitar to put my LE Epi's p/ups in...

Leaning towards the JS Kelly.

• Members

Just look into a mirror held next to the screen, then all will be "right" with the world!! :lol:

nice! but it looks backwards:D

Seriously, thanks for the comments, guys - yeah, I'll live with her for awhile, before we do any surgery! It IS nice to get info on which direction we may go; looking for something for classic rhythm and blues - not the current R&B if ya know what I mean!

• Members

The stock Epi pickups are OK. The pickups that used to come in the Les Paul Classics are very very good.

If the back of the pickup says HOTCH LP bridge they are OK. If they say HOTHB8 LP Classic bridge they are real good. I have bought several of those on ebay for a couple of my guitars. As far as neck pickups I never really paid much attention. I just use whatever is in there.

• Members

Les Paul Custom

By the way, its a 2005 so I dunno if that will tell me what might have been used as pickups in this case - having too much of a good time playing it to tear it down yet, but I figure I can take a peek tonite!

What does LPC stand for?

• Members

Cool,that's the pair I have!!!

Good to know,Thanx!!!

If you ever want to sell that bridge pickup let me know. I love those. Just hot enough to be hot, but not too hot. I see them on ebay every now and then, but I don't do ebay anymore.

• Members

If you ever want to sell that bridge pickup let me know. I love those. Just hot enough to be hot, but not too hot. I see them on ebay every now and then, but I don't do ebay anymore.

I'd hate to break the set up,but they really do sound pretty good!!!

Thanx Again for the info.

:D

Archived