questions: Sound recording of my ES-335

gadzooka

• Members

OK guys & gals, I am no Dickey Betts (in fact, I'm not particularly into ABB) but I have posted a quick .wav recording of my somewhat sloppy rendition of the Ramblin' Man chord progression to share the sound of my recently acquired 1967 ES-335 with you and to ask a few questions.

First, the recording:

http://home.att.net/~trafficlights/recordings/Ramblin1.wav

Next, a proud little display of the guitar itself:

http://home.att.net/~njsignals/es335/index.htm

Now the questions. Beware, I know nothing about sound recording!

1. What could be causing the backgroud fuzz, and can it be easily mitigated without more hardware/software? I am plugging my guitar into a Line 6 PODxt, then via USB port to my Windows XP desktop with the stock, bare-bones sound recording software. The interfering fuzz does not come through headphones when I play only into the POD. But it crops up in the PC recording.

2. I cannot hear the amplified guitar while recording, but it does play back through the speakers. Is there some easy setting in Windows that I missed?

3. What do you think of the guitar's tone? (I like it!) It is in the middle pickup position, with both tone controls rolled off a bit. The Line 6 is emulating a VOX class A amp.

Thanks for listening!!

• Members

22K, 8-bit recording. Looks like stock sound recorder settings which are {censored}. You have some mild aliasing and major frickin quantization error going on. In short you need to spend about $4,000 to improve your system.

I am kidding. Go into sound recorder, File-> Properties -> Choose from and select "recording formats" -> Convert Now ->and select "CD Quality". Click OK until you are back to the main interface and give it a whirl. Should sound tastey.

By the way it sounds like you got a nice tone there.

That was sweet. Kinda reminded me of the "What a wonderful world" tune from a couple of years ago. I like the progression done that style. Tone sounds wonderful too!

Don't know why you're hearing something you don't hear through the headphones. Hope Ashasha got it for you!

• Members

ashasha hit the nail on the head!! Thanks ashasha! I should check around for the settings regarding hearing the guitar INPUT through the speakers. I only hear the playback.

And thanks too for the encouraging words. I have been playing a long time, but not doing much with it. I would like to start recording my playing once in a while...

• Members

Glad to hear that you got it straigtened out. A couple of things could be causing your monitoring issues.

Now realize that you will have to monitor it with the Pod output, not the PC sound card because that is what you are recording with. Even using higher end cards using ASIO you can only monitor with the same device, meaning whatever you are recording with you have to monitor with.

It sounds like your default playback device is your computer soundcard and your recording is being handled by the USB device, either as the default device or using the sound recorder settings. Go into the control panel under sounds and look at your audio tab and see what is going on.

There are some applications and drivers that may allow you to route the input of the PodXT to the line output of the PC soundcard, but I am not familiar with the Pod or your PC. Chances are that it would introduce more problems anyway.

There are some freeware MP3 encoders out there that you may want to look into to get those filesizes down. Wave is great for editing and mastering, but it isn't good for the internet. You can get a much better quality MP3 at about 1/10th the filesize at 44.1/16 bit.

Anything that uses Lame MP3 is the best bet, but you need to find a front end GUI to use it. Besweet is a good one, but it isn't the easiest to setup. dBPoweramp is great and makes it really easy to use (just right click the file and go), but it is limited to 30 days and then you have to pay $18-28 depending on the version you want. It is worth it, especially with the DSP effects and post processing it can do, but there are some free alternatives if you are willing to put the time into getting them under control.

Archived