George Harrison's rosewood Tele - Construction details

• Members

OK, it's hollow, presumably on either side of a centre bar, but where does the maple sandwich fit in the scheme of things?

Anybody know the prceise construction details of this guitar?

I always thought it was solid? Shows what I know....

Of course, he used to actually hold it up, so solid wasn't too great of a guess. :D

Bump for another interested party!

Larry

• Moderators

I always thought it was solid? Shows what I know....

Of course, he used to
actually hold it up
, so solid wasn't too great of a guess.
:D

Bump for another interested party!

Larry

Hmmm, I'm not 100% sure, but I came across a 69 model last week and it was definitely hollow under the control plate. Whether GHs was solid as Kubickis story seems to imply i don't know

• Members

"According to the book Beatles Gear, (Andy Babiuk, Backbeat Books, 2002) in 1968, Phillip Kubicki, a young, talented guitar maker, was told by his boss, Roger Rossmeisl, that Fender would be making the guitars. Recalls Kubicki: "For me, this was about as exciting as things could get. The Beatles and Hendrix were at their peak and were a big part of the times." According to the book, "Rossmeisl decided that a safe course would be to produce two prototypes each of the Rosewood Telecaster and the Rosewood Stratocaster and then select the best to give to the star musicians. The bodies for the guitars were made with a thin layer of maple sandwiched between a solid rosewood top and back. "I spent hours sanding the bodies to perfection," recalls a misty eyed Kubicki. "Eventually, a clear polyurethane finish was applied and allowed to dry, and we selected the two best bodies and necks for Harrison and Hendrix." Kubicki says that Harrison's telecaster became a priority because Fender knew it was required for an album that The Beatles were working on. The guitar was carefully and painstakingly finished, set up, checked and carefully rubbed with a fine cloth until it became highlighted. The second body and neck were stored in Fender's R & D department."

Don't know if that helps but here the link http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/entertainment_legends/george-harrison-guitar.html

• Moderators

"According to the book Beatles Gear, (Andy Babiuk, Backbeat Books, 2002) in 1968, Phillip Kubicki, a young, talented guitar maker, was told by his boss, Roger Rossmeisl, that Fender would be making the guitars. Recalls Kubicki: "For me, this was about as exciting as things could get. The Beatles and Hendrix were at their peak and were a big part of the times." According to the book, "Rossmeisl decided that a safe course would be to produce two prototypes each of the Rosewood Telecaster and the Rosewood Stratocaster and then select the best to give to the star musicians. The bodies for the guitars were made with a thin layer of maple sandwiched between a solid rosewood top and back. "I spent hours sanding the bodies to perfection," recalls a misty eyed Kubicki. "Eventually, a clear polyurethane finish was applied and allowed to dry, and we selected the two best bodies and necks for Harrison and Hendrix." Kubicki says that Harrison's telecaster became a priority because Fender knew it was required for an album that The Beatles were working on. The guitar was carefully and painstakingly finished, set up, checked and carefully rubbed with a fine cloth until it became highlighted. The second body and neck were stored in Fender's R & D department."

Don't know if that helps but here the link
http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/entertainment_legends/george-harrison-guitar.html

Hehe, yes, read that numerous times, very anecdotal. The full version goes on to tell how he flew across to England with the Tele on it's own seat next to him and presented it.

• Members

Hehe, yes, read that numerous times, very anecdotal. The full version goes on to tell how he flew across to England with the Tele on it's own seat next to him and presented it.

From the sounds of it, the maple was an accent piece but I can't even see it in any of the pic's I have seen of the guitar.:confused:

• Members

Sound like it wasn't chambered any more than a standard telecaster, but made of laminations of maple and rosewood. Probably more to do with the difficulty and expense of shaping a single billet of rosewood more than any weight saving. Maple can be as dense as rosewood.

If I ever ordered a rosewood telecaster body, I'd definitely have it chambered like crazy.

• Moderators

From the sounds of it, the maple was an accent piece but I can't even see it in any of the pic's I have seen of the guitar.
:confused:

The description says it's a sandwich piece. My suspicion would be that it made sense purely for lamination purposes and what stocks were available at the time.

This demonstrates it roughly

RoseTele1.jpg

Although that body is quite clearly not rosewood

• Members

Don't know if that helps but here the link

Haha.. OT, but Andy Babiuk sold me a few guitars in his day. He recently just departed from that guitar shop, but he was there forever. The book must really be taking off. If you dig the Beatles (who doesn't?), you should check out his band The Chesterfield Kings.

• Members

A few years back, that guitar was on Ebay in fairly rough condition. Harrison had given the guitar to Delaney Bramlett, who decades later decided to unload it.

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/entertainment_legends/george-harrison-guitar.html

• Moderators

Nope.

Bought a Turser. Close enough to silence the voices inside my head.

JTRW.jpg

How do you like it? I was gonna get one shipped over but with a mple neck and narrow nut I just didn't bother. It's just i have enough rosewood for a Strat or Tele neck, so the voices started with me:cry:

Really I should just make the neck and sell it.

• Members

Nope.

Bought a Turser. Close enough to silence the voices inside my head.

JTRW.jpg

Oh man, this sucks. I build GAS faster than I make money.

I couldn't find any info on your rosewood turser. Do they still make 'em? (sorry for the OT post)

• Moderators

A few years back, that guitar was on Ebay in fairly rough condition. Harrison had given the guitar to Delaney Bramlett, who decades later decided to unload it.

Indeed JP, that link was in the 3rd post. I think there is a fuller account of Kubicki's manufacture and subsequesnt travels of the guitar, but don't know where.

• Members

Well, it's a sub $200 guitar, so as long as we are clear on that.

I wish the neck was chunkier and finished. Haven't had any neck width problems.

The neck pickup blows. The bridge is cheap looking but works. The tuners are fugly post and bushing vintage style, which I hate. The headstock face is also rosewood looking, which is a nice touch.

The fretwork is fine, with bigger frets than most Squiers, which I am happy about.

With a gut out and new neck, it could be quite nice. I've already spent about $100 on parts for it, pups, gold hardware, and black tuners. we'll see how that looks.

Here's a pic of the side. It's hard to find stats on these, but I did find at Muse, that it is a nato body with rosewood front and back and maple binding.

The body construction is very nice and unique. I'm really tempted to dye the neck, and put a gloss finish on all of it.

JTRW2.jpg

• Moderators

Oh man, this sucks. I build GAS faster than I make money.

I couldn't find any info on your rosewood turser. Do they still make 'em? (sorry for the OT post)

yes, still available and for less than 200 of your worthless rubeldollars:D

Heres an Ebay one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jay-Turser-JT-LT-RW-ROSEWOOD-TELLY-w-string-thru-body_W0QQitemZ260091996090QQihZ016QQcategoryZ38083QQcmdZViewItem

and www.musiclandcentral.com are selling them for 199

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jay-Turser-Rosewood-JTLT-Tele-Electric-Guitar-FREE-S-H_W0QQitemZ270109235069QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64403QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Sorry for the hijack...

The model is the JT-LT/RW. It is still on the Jay Turser site. It says "new", but it has said that for a while.

Muse link here:

If you have the wood for a neck, I say make it. I'd buy it, or you could make your own out of one of these.

I got mine off eBay for $140 Buy It Now. A thread here made me go look, and one was there, so I jumped on it. Seller was maggio music or something like that. I wasn't thrilled with it straight out of the box, but I think when I am done it will be terrific, and a keeper. Nobody else makes anything like this.

Let's face it. I will never get to own a real one. This one is different enough, yet close enough to satisfy me. And I can tinker with it!

• Members

Indeed JP, that link was in the 3rd post. I think there is a fuller account of Kubicki's manufacture and subsequesnt travels of the guitar, but don't know where.

The Delaney Bramlett connection is pretty important, and wasn't mentioned in that post. The guitar still exists, and somebody someplace should have a detailed technical description, I would hope: weight, actual materials and construction with measurements, electronics down to ohms on the pups and brand/size of tone cap, xrays of body, etc.

• Members
How do you like it? I was gonna get one shipped over but with a mple neck and narrow nut I just didn't bother. It's just i have enough rosewood for a Strat or Tele neck, so the voices started with me:cry:

Really I should just make the neck and sell it.

How much?

Archived