Books to Re-Read

felix

• Members

For me, reading is 90% looking for books worth re-reading. My list:

Tolkien: first read LOTR in 1970. I re-read it about once a year for some 15 years or so, then finally got a bit tired of it. So I focused on the Silmarillion which I've read a dozen times or so. As an example of this obsession, sometimes to cure insomnia I put myself to sleep trying to mentally reconstruct the genealogies of the Elves from the original three that set out on the journey to Valinor....

The Life and Death of Jason - William Morris. The myth retold in some 300 pages of rhyming verse.

I read the first 3 books of Dune maybe 5-6 times, then all of a sudden the whole series seemed so preposterous and the writing style so mannered that I can't get into it anymore.

Of the British romantics, I've read Jane Eyre the most times, various Dickens after that.

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - still gets to me after my first reading 30 years ago.

It's not really reading per se, but I love to look at big, well-done coffe-table art books repeatedly - favorites are Milton Avery, Klee, Giotto and other early Renaissance artists, Matisse, Hockney, Raphael, and on and on.

poetry is made for re-reading:

William Blake - the usual stuff like Songs of Innocence and Experience, Marriage of Heaven and Hell, etc. with occasional attempts into the "prophecies" which are very difficult...

The Divine Comedy - always looking for new translations of Dante that shed more light.

Selected poetry of Rilke, Yeats, Wordsworth, Auden, Spenser, others.

Other religious stuff like Thomas Merton books on Contemplation, Henri Nouwen "devotional" books, the Bible, CS Lewis, etc. NOT a fan of popular apocalyptic fiction like the Left Behind series.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Originally posted by nat whilk II

William Blake - the usual stuff like Songs of Innocence and Experience, Marriage of Heaven and Hell, etc. with occasional attempts into the "prophecies" which are very difficult...

I love Blake! Oddly, what got me into him initially was a Tangerine Dream album called Tyger.

I would add:

Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance - On the reread, it wasnt as great at age 32 as it was at age 19. Maybe Im just jaded now.

Letter to a Young Poet - Rainer Maria Rilke.

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

The Dispossessed - Urlsula K Leguin - The total opposite of Rand. Beware of reading these 2 back to back, your head might explode.

• Members

I think the top of my list of books to read is the Wheel of Time (fantasy) series by Robert Jordan. He is one of the best writers I've every read, and by the time I get through the (so far) 11 books of the series, I'm almost ready to start again, because it's been so long since I read the beginning of the series. (Once I start the series, I have to finish it.)

Another is "The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

And the Dragonlance (fantasy) series, which I'm re-reading right now, is always a favorite. Thought this time around I've noticed a lot of inconsistencies that I never really noticed before.

Stephen King's Dark Tower series has always been a re-reader for me. Though I'm not so sure now, since I wasn't entirely pleased with the ending.

Clive Barker's "Imajica" is an excellent re-reader, but I have to be in the right mindframe to wade through the spiritual undertones.

"The Celestine Prophecy" is a good re-reader when I need to reaffirm to myself that life is worth something. It's not for everybody, I suppose, but it turned out to be 'for' a surpisingly large number of people.

And oh yeah..."The Daily Adventures of Mixerman". :D

As I stated in the "What are you reading" thread, I re-read a lot of books, because I won't read just anything. So I have a lot on my re-read list. I've read the Dragonlance series probably almost 20 times (that is, the ones written by the original authors; the ones written by other authors I rarely read more than once), the Wheel of Time series 4 or 5 times, "Imajica" probably about 5 times, and the Dark Tower series about 3 or 4 times (though I've only read the last three books once, since they're relatively recent.)

• Members

There aren't many books I will re-read, just because there's an awful lot I want to get through at least once! I've read all of the Harry Potter's a couple of times and re-read Tad William's Memory, Sorrow & Thorn. I'll eventually get around to re-reading some of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, only one I've read twice was Small Gods...

• Members

I've had a hankering to get back to that old Mick Fleetwood bio...'specially the part where he's in love with Stevie and Don Henley sends the roses and Mick gets so hurt and mad and....

Oops...sorry. :D Guilty pleasure.

Seriously, I've been meaning to re-read Timothy White's "Catch A Fire" for years...but there are so many new ones waiting for me to pick them up. So little time...

• Members

Gosh songrytr, you've got Mark Twain in your sig and don't mention the greatest writer ever (to me). Read 'Letters from the earth.' It's short stories and such, my favs being Capt Stormfield's trip to heaven and The Mysterious Stranger.

You cats that mention Tolkien should really check out Stephen R. Donaldson's two Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever trilogies. My late cousin described them to me ages ago as Tolkien for adults and I think he was right. Really dark heavy stuff but very entertaining.

I've read 'The Stand' by Stephen King a bunch of times. Something just resonates with that story.

Watchers by Dean Koontz was fun.

Have to think about it some more.

• Members

Originally posted by Yeah

Fight Club

Hmmm... I was underwhelmed by Fight Club. Loved the movie, but guess I thought I'd find lots more to love about the book - and didn't.

I've often wondered whether I'd like any of his other books better. I do like the twisted, edgy slant he takes.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Yeah

Fight Club

Yeah, for sure. Have you read Survivor also by Chuck Palahnuik? I actually liked it better than Fight Club and Fight CLub was great.

Edit: I missed your entry Felix until mine posted. Check out Survivor. It suffers from having an unfortunate title as it came out during the same time or before the song and TV show. Nothing to do with either, thank God.

It is funny in such an intelligent way. Highly recommended.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

Catcher in the Rye

I love the Holden Caufield character. He's such a sour chump. I keep thinking there's something there that's going on with him that I missed 25 years ago when I first read it. The fact is... there's a lot I missed 25 years ago.

Too bad other people reading "Catcher" hadn't missed 25 years ago... :(:cry:

• Moderators

Originally posted by nat whilk II

I think this is a reference to John Lennon's killer who was obsessed with Catcher in the Rye.

Correct me if I'm wrong....

nat whilk ii

Yeah. God ,I forgot about that. How ironic too... I just finished the fine article on Lennon in this month's Rolling Stone, boot the laptop, and this. I guess it wasn't the best day to think about re-reading that one.

We miss you John.

Archived