What is Jazz ? How to begin..?

seadoogsx1996

• Members

:confused: Hi alls,

I like listen to smooth jazz radio station 94.1 at Tampa, FL. I like it. I play pop music as average level. I read here and there and more confuse. So what is Jazz ? and How, Where begin to learn ? Any book or DVD to get ?

I like lead guitar or Keyboard.

Thanks

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Argh BlueTimber don't desecrate my style of music :D Jazz is hard to describe. The types can be broken down into: New Orleans, Swing, Bebop, Hard Bop/Cool, Avant Garde and Fusion in that basic progression over the years. Starting with the Bebop era there tends to be a latin jazz that can be added into the mix. Jazz is the expression of emotion through music that is somewhat (loosely) based upon a mixture of African and Western Classical music. It is often considered an "American Artform" even though it is probably more popular in Europe nowadays. I love to swing, bop and on occasion play stuff on the "out" side (free jazz ideas). That give you a general definition?

• Members

maybe work on your English before diving into Jazz.

You don't have to speak english well to play Jazz man. Django Reinhardt, Chucho Valdez and many talented musicians from other countries speak english as a second language, yet are extremely talented musicians.

• Members

I shall be as basic as possible. Where popular music relates too a 1,4,5 structure,such as c-f and g, Jazz uses a 2m-4-5 structure, such as d 7thm,g and c. That is just a generalization but if you listen too jazz, you will get the picture. A good vidio teaching jazz is one from Jodi Fisher called Jazz Basics. He takes you through the elementary part too a more advance technic. It is worth the money and you probably can get it at any guitar center or good music store. I hope this answers some of your questions.

• Members

I shall be as basic as possible. Where popular music relates too a 1,4,5 structure,such as c-f and g, Jazz uses a 2m-4-5 structure, such as d 7thm,g and c. That is just a generalization but if you listen too jazz, you will get the picture. A good vidio teaching jazz is one from Jodi Fisher called Jazz Basics. He takes you through the elementary part too a more advance technic. It is worth the money and you probably can get it at any guitar center or good music store. I hope this answers some of your questions.

do you mean THIS book + DVD?

http://www.guitarworkshop.com/books/dvdsvideos/beginningjazzguita2/

• Members

...ahem... back to the topic of Jazz: I always thought of things like a (ii- V-I) chord progression was very jazzy, or lots of 7th, 11th, 13th type chords, use of modes, and chord-melody playing. Stuff like Joe Pass and Bucky Pizzarelli.

...but then again, I also always considered Jazz to be rather "the sky's the limit" sorta music. Took me a while to like any of Miles Davis' stuff.

Archived