• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
HI all,

You can tell me about yourself.

1/ When you start play Jazz ?

2/ How do you start ?

3/ why you interested in Jazz ?

4/ Do you play any styles before you play jazz ?

5/ What brand and model of your jazz guitar ?
:thu:

My most intense studies of jazz were done 20 years ago at a Danish folk high school which I attended for 7 months after finishing high school. It just so happened that jazz was on the curriculum. After a 12 bar blues audition, we were divided into groups based on our technical prowess. I got into the best of the 4 groups. It was quite the steep learning curve for me. One of our teachers used to always go over which scales to play over the different chords and progressions. Ironically, the moral was always the same (ironical because so much thought went into it), that you could get away with playing virtually all 12 notes except maybe one or two that weren't explicitly mentioned. We just played whatever guitar we had. It was all plug in direct or, like me, via a Tubescreamer. Very anti-gear orientated. I had a Washburn superstrat at the time. I still have an anti-gear approach, I guess, due to the environment in which I grew up. It was all about gtr>TS9>amp. Respect for chops not for gear.

My favorite jazz CD is Chet Baker Live in Stockholm. Man, that CD ranks with ANYTHING in any genre. It may be the record I have listened to the most of all. My heart lies in the fusion of blues-rock-metal however.

• Members
...make sure your sight reading skills are spot on. This is a MUST for jazz, there is no alternative.

false. joe pass was never a good reader. i don't think Wes Montgomery could read at all, maybe later in his career. Charlie Christian didn't read, nor did Django Reinhardt. Chet Baker, very little. I heard Dave Brubeck was well into his college music studies before he could read. so i have heard. many others, i am sure.

Don't get me wrong, if you can become a good reader, you will find more opportunities, but it is not a must by any means.:blah:

• Members

My most intense studies of jazz were done 20 years ago at a Danish folk high school which I attended for 7 months after finishing high school. It just so happened that jazz was on the curriculum. After a 12 bar blues audition, we were divided into groups based on our technical prowess. I got into the best of the 4 groups. It was quite the steep learning curve for me. One of our teachers used to always go over which scales to play over the different chords and progressions. Ironically, the moral was always the same (ironical because so much thought went into it), that you could get away with playing virtually all 12 notes except maybe one or two that weren't explicitly mentioned. We just played whatever guitar we had. It was all plug in direct or, like me, via a Tubescreamer. Very anti-gear orientated. I had a Washburn superstrat at the time. I still have an anti-gear approach, I guess, due to the environment in which I grew up. It was all about gtr>TS9>amp. Respect for chops not for gear.

My favorite jazz CD is Chet Baker Live in Stockholm. Man, that CD ranks with ANYTHING in any genre. It may be the record I have listened to the most of all. My heart lies in the fusion of blues-rock-metal however.

Thank you RockNote for sharing about your music life. I will gain some experience about how to start, and what to begin with Jazz .

Is anyone else would like to share your music life when and how do you start with Jazz.

Thanks all again:thu:

• Members
play wrong notes here and there, and look like you did it on purpose!
:thu:

There are actually people who don't understand/appreciate the sense of some of the adventurous melody lines of jazz and dismiss them as "wrong".Jazz is an idiom (language) and one either understands it or doesn't. Nothing really wrong with that so far but I've heard people saying that it made no sense at all. Imagine somebody not understanding italian or spanish and then saying that the speaker doesn't say anything at all based on the fact that THEY don't understand a thing....

Archived