My sow's ear silk purse

Ol' Tree Frog

• Members

Decided to change pickups in the Squier thinline. Had Manlius Guitars alnico II landmark PAFs installed. Did the CTS orange drop thing while I was at it. Even threw on some fancy ebony knobs I had lying around. Now looks like this:

IMG_4913.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

The sound of the guitar really opened up with the new pickups. I liked the stock OK, but the sound now is much more live and present. I can still get the warmth I liked from the originals, but I've got a range of cool sounds up and down the tone knob.

• Members

The sound of the guitar really opened up with the new pickups. I liked the stock OK, but the sound now is much more live and present. I can still get the warmth I liked from the originals, but I've got a range of cool sounds up and down the tone knob.

Looks great! I'm sure the improvements made it a great guitar.

But.... are you sure the sound improvements didn't come from the ebony knobs?

• Members

Looks great! I'm sure the improvements made it a great guitar.

But.... are you sure the sound improvements didn't come from the ebony knobs?

That's worth thinking about. They have a great feel, but I wasn't ready for the sonic effect of a couple ounces of great tonewood. ;)

• Members

Nice job on the Tele!!! Looks beautiful --

and I like your avatar, too.

Who's the guy jamming on the saz??

Anyone in particular??

That's Koroglu, central Asian bard whose sagas are still performed in the Turkic world. That picture is hanging in a classroom at the Pedagogy University in Baku along with dozens of other ashiks. I don't know anywhere else you could find images like that, so I photographed several.

• Members

I got me one of them geetars.

I loves it, but the Duncan dee-zined just aint a floating my boat.

Any chance of some clips of that red baby to hear these new pups in action.

I've been trying to decide between hum size P90s, TV Jones filtertron type, or EMG's!:evil:

• Members

I got me one of them geetars.

I loves it, but the Duncan dee-zined just aint a floating my boat.

Any chance of some clips of that red baby to hear these new pups in action.

I've been trying to decide between hum size P90s, TV Jones filtertron type, or EMG's!
:evil:

Sorry, I don't have recording gear now and posting clips is beyond me. These Manlius Landmark pickups are 50s style PAFs, fairly low output, very clear with a wide tonal range. They're nothing like the other options you mentioned. But I think these thinlines really respond well to a change of pickups, no matter which way you decide to go.

Archived