How to Age a guitar?

waw423

• Members

My friend effed his gutiar pretty bad and decided to Quote Age his guitar.... He really likes the relic strats (stupid) so he wants them to look like that. I told him to just put werid liquids on it like achol and maybe that would change the color and make it look old or what not. any pointers?

• Members

My friend's doing the same thing to his MIM Fender Strat. Try "accidentally" dropping it on the concrete. Or take a few jabs at it with a kitchen knife. Drag it through the dirt a little. Or just say "{censored} it" and start grinding the body on your driveway. Have fun!

• Members

To properly "age" a guitar, cigarette smoke is very important. It helps the guitar become yellow-brownish and gives it the proper reek.

A crowded bar is perfect; hang it on the wall and let it soak up smoke for about 3 months. If your friend doesn't have easy, secure access to smokers then he can build a customized "smoker" for the guitar. Build a 45 inch X 16 inch X 24 inch tabletop tent framework out of 2x4 studs. Cover the frame with clear construction-grade plastic (roofing plastic is perfect) and leave a flap along the bottom of the long dimension. Attach two extra sections of wood on the interior ends of the frame so that the guitar can be rested across the length of the tent near the top, but allowing 6 inches of space above the guitar. Place 6 ashtrays along the tabletop in the bottom of the tent, two cigs per ashtray. Light the cigarettes and change them every hour or so, or as often as possible. Two weeks in the tent and about 4 cartons of cigarettes should do the job.

Remember to discard the wood and plastic of the framework in an environmentally correct manner once the guitar has been properly nicotined.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

To properly "age" a guitar, cigarette smoke is very important. It helps the guitar become yellow-brownish and gives it the proper reek.

A crowded bar is perfect; hang it on the wall and let it soak up smoke for about 3 months. If your friend doesn't have easy, secure access to smokers then he can build a customized "smoker" for the guitar. Build a 45 inch X 16 inch X 24 inch tabletop tent framework out of 2x4 studs. Cover the frame with clear construction-grade plastic (roofing plastic is perfect) and leave a flap along the bottom of the long dimension. Attach two extra sections of wood on the interior ends of the frame so that the guitar can be rested across the length of the tent near the top, but allowing 6 inches of space above the guitar. Place 6 ashtrays along the tabletop in the bottom of the tent, two cigs per ashtray. Light the cigarettes and change them every hour or so, or as often as possible. Two weeks in the tent and about 4 cartons of cigarettes should do the job.

Remember to discard the wood and plastic of the framework in an environmentally correct manner once the guitar has been properly nicotined.

??? I can't tell if hes being sarcastic or not lol :wave:

• Members

??? I can't tell if hes being sarcastic or not lol
:wave:

No, that may work.

There was a guy on the old HC forum that would stick guitars in his smokehouse (for those not from the U.S. Southeast, that pretty much means it was hanging with a ton of curing hams, sausages and such).

• Members

My friend effed his gutiar pretty bad and decided to Quote Age his guitar.... He really likes the relic strats (stupid) so he wants them to look like that. I told him to just put werid liquids on it like achol and maybe that would change the color and make it look old or what not. any pointers?

It's not easy. Chances are your friends guitar is either polyurethane or polyester finished (the latter has become the more popular choice for manufacturers of budget guitars). Relics, and other relic jobs are generally done to guitars with the old nitrocellulose finish, which yellows naturally over time and wears through a lot easier. by comparison a polyurethane guitar may never yellow and the finish is a hard plastic coating that doesn't wear well (and polyester is even more so). That means you can't speed up the aging process, you have to take it out-right by taking a poly finish and sanding it and overspraying it with yellow to give it the appearance of worn nitro.

• Members

My friend's doing the same thing to his MIM Fender Strat. Try "accidentally" dropping it on the concrete. Or take a few jabs at it with a kitchen knife. Drag it through the dirt a little. Or just say "{censored} it" and start grinding the body on your driveway. Have fun!

I dunno about that. It will only literally make the guitar look like it's been dropped on conctrete, jabbed with a kitchen knife, and dragged. BUT it won't make it look like it's been played for years. And tell your friend good luck trying to get through that MIM polyester armor.

• Members

What kind of guitar does your friend have? That could determine what kind of pointers would actually be helpful as far as "wierd liquids" go. I'm trying to keep an open mind about what your friends guitar could be, but I got a feeling no liquid besides aircraft stripper or molten lava will have an effect on that guitar's finish.

Or....tell your friend to keep effing up the guitar and it will be aged in no time and look more realistic than an unnaturally aged one:idea:

• Members

What kind of guitar does your friend have? That could determine what kind of pointers would actually be helpful as far as "wierd liquids" go. I'm trying to keep an open mind about what your friends guitar could be, but I got a feeling no liquid besides aircraft stripper or molten lava will have an effect on that guitar's finish.

Or....tell your friend to keep effing up the guitar and it will be aged in no time and look more realistic than an unnaturally aged one:idea:

I'm thinking it may be more convincing to just trash the guitar stylistically then trying to make it look old and worn.

Sorta make it the "rat bike" of guitars.

Archived