Is the Les Paul a signature guitar?

Ostracized

• Members

No it is not. Les paul endorsed it once the model was completely designed (by Mc Carthy and co). He only proposed the bridge and tailpiece and those were so bad they were soon replaced by the wraparound first, then by the T.O.M.

thats correct. but if you reread the OP you'll see thats not what he was asking about or even talking about

• Members
I wish they would do a les paul signature les paul. the one les plays (or at least the pics of him playing i have seen) looks pretty sweet with all his custom mods:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lespaul.jpg

i do have quite the softspot for the bigbsy

They did that. Here is a picture of a 1974 Les Paul Signature:

74LesPaulGold.gif

Low impedance pickups similar to those that Les still uses on the Recording model he plays. Epiphone uses the body shape and low impedance pups on the Jack Casady Signature bass.

• Members

Yes, it is a signature model.

Les was hired to endorse the guitar, and his name was put on it to increase sales. That's pretty much the same as just about any sig made today. Most sigs have little or nothing to do with replicas of actually famous instruments but the artist is hired to endorse the model for higher sales.

Yes, Les gets residuals. Once he's dead, his estate then gets to be the one to negotiate with Gibson.

The real reason for the name change to SG in '61 was because Les and Mary Ford were getting a divorce and Les ended his endorsement deal to lower is income before alimony was decided. Les is shrewd.

• Members

I wish they would do a les paul signature les paul. the one les plays (or at least the pics of him playing i have seen) looks pretty sweet with all his custom mods:

Les is very private about his mods. Says little and what he does say is often misleading. The LP Recording, derived from his LP Personal (iirc that was the early name for the recording), was never a big seller. No one wanted the line-level pickups or the larger, funky body.

• Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lespaul.jpg

I think its just a LEs Paul Recording Model with a Bigsby. It was never a real big seller as far as I know.
LP_Recording_1971.jpg

• Members
I think its just a LEs Paul Recording Model with a Bigsby. It was never a real big seller as far as I know.

LP_Recording_1971.jpg

oh ok, i never saw the les paul recording model before, guess that post makes me look like a newb, lol. sorry about that. i still think its interesting though.

Archived