Question for Ovation Breadwinner owners

jos

• Members

Actually, a cry for help:

I have an early-70s Ovation Breadwinner that I recently had modded with new pups. I was playing it for hours on Friday and noticed it kept going out of tune after every song. Yesterday I got to puttering around and decided to take the bridge off, partly to see if tightening it back down would help and partly 'cause I just wanted to see what it looked like under there.

Well, curiousity killed the cat. I accidentally broke the plastic bridge -- the holes where the two big screws hold it down stripped out. So I guess my choices now are (a) pray that another, usuable Breadwinner bridge magically appears on eBay soon or (b) replace it with something more sturdy.

So, my question is -- have any of you Breadwinner owners ever replaced your bridges? What did you replace them with? Or am I just so totally screwed now?

• Members

Just saw this. Have not had this problem with mine. The bridge design, being countersunk into the guitar top, is very problematic though. Inability of easily changing strings is one reason I rarely gig mine.

Unfortunately unless you can jerry-rig something, or find a used one, you'll have to take it to a tech and have them fabricate some kinda new replacement.

BK

• 9 months later...
  • Members

hello, i just joined and was surfing ovation threads, so sorry this is a late add.

anyway. i have two breadwinners that someone altered the bridges on. on both a piece of wood is cut in the shape of the old bridge and used to fill the hole, then an aftermarket bridge was screwed on top. i got them in different ebay sales and i'm pretty sure done by two different people.

being a hobby player, i can't speak to how well they play on a pro level, but they sound ok to me. one is one of those one piece khaler tremolos, the other looks like maybe a badazz? fixed bridge.

anyway, an option if it dosen't have to be original.

• 7 months later...

Archived