HELP! Computer got slammed.

daklander

• Members

First off, the reason I don't just get another router is I don't have the extra dollars at this time so I have to do a work around.

I really need some help here guys. Here's the deal.

I had a stable operating dual boot computer going with Win2Kpro and Mepis Linux. I had another computer slated for my music box. Well, my daughter's unit crapped out so I decided to pull the OS hard drive from my dual boot and stick it into my music computer for awhile, until I can get something else going for daughter.

This box is an Athlon XP-M. I don't remember the model but it runs at 1660 Mhz with 512Mb RAM. The OS drive was a 40gig partitioned into two 20 gig partitions with Win2K on hda1 and Mepis on hda2. The second drive is a 160gig partitioned into 5 roughly equal partitions. There were problems with the swap and somewhere the MBR and or boot sector got screwed so I had to re-install Win2K. That was ok because I didn't have anything stored there, seldom used. The Linux OS lost it's gui so I had to do some work to get it back and I re-installed grub to the mbr. That all worked, though I could only see 3 partitions on the second drive. until last night when the whole damned thing blew up. I tried to rescue the damned thing but hda © did not show up as a valid drive. I had to re-partition and format the 40gig OS drive and re-install Win2K. I left the Linux off for now.

On top of all that the damned router took a dump along with the mouse. DAMN IT!

I have a usb mouse I can't get working so I installed an old ps2 mouse to get functional again.

Now here's where I need the help. I'm on cable modem and want to be able to have one additional pc, running Win2K to access the internet via this computer. It has an onboard 100Mbps lan card and I installed an additional D-Link 100Mbps lan card for access via the other computer. I can get access via the router via either lan card so I know they are funtional. I have a 100Mbps lan card in the other computer.

The only way I can get the computers to see one another is with a lan cable with swapped pairs of wires. I can't get internet access from the second box and need to know what to do as far as setups go. The microsoft help is no help at all.

OH, I have an old LanPro unit I guess is a switch but I can't get both units to access the cable modem from it. One or the other.

• Members

dak,

email me your home/biz address.

I have at least 4 older Linksys/d-link routers in my basement I have gotten through upgrades, new routers, etc. Assuming one works ( I'll check), I will USPS one to you...my gift to you. The extra config stuff is a PITA with Routers being so cheap, but if you are pinched, I can help you this way.

deanmass@mac.com

• Members

Originally posted by mir

I'm not sure about that LanPro switch of yours, but this tutorial might help you sort out your ICS:

http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-arch.asp

Good luck, Dak.
:)

Thanks for the link mir. You are a life saver again. I was very close in that I had the LAN going, just couldn't get that second box going. Turned out I kept missing the netmask address. DOH!

I'll power both boxes down and see if they come back up with no problems.

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by deanmass

dak,

email me your home/biz address.

I have at least 4 older Linksys/d-link routers in my basement I have gotten through upgrades, new routers, etc. Assuming one works ( I'll check), I will USPS one to you...my gift to you. The extra config stuff is a PITA with Routers being so cheap, but if you are pinched, I can help you this way.

deanmass@mac.com

Deanmass, I do appreciate the offer but it looks like, with Mir's help, I got the local LAN going and both boxes have hit the internet. If it all works after rebooting I post the news.

I should be able to get back to the wireless/hardwire net I was on before shortly after the first of the year. I need wireless due to the distances several other computers are from the modem. I can do without those for the time being.

:wave:

• Members

Flat amazing. What a great place to go for help. First cry for help just before 6:00pm West Coast time. A couple of help responses within 45 minutes and back up for initial testing in about an hour, and final test after another few minutes. Total time? About an hour and a half.

I shoulda cried for help alot sooner. I wouldn't have gotten frustrated and wifey wouldn't have kicked my butt for the system going down.

Thanks again for the supurb response and help.

:thu:

• Members

I had a similar experience when I got the dreaded "Limited or no connectivity" on my new Daw. Between my giga box and Daw. It ended up someone from one of these forums had the same problem. My computer tech person insisted on installing a software firewall, I kept insisting that these 2 computers would only connect for software updates and didn't want anything bogging down the "music". Well damn the first day I got the DAw back because of a video card issue that again was only fixed by a forum members input, I unistalled the firewall! Guess what, even though it was uninstalled and out of my brain as something to troubleshoot that firewall shut down a bunch of ports one of them needed for computer to computer (crossover) connection. ANyways long story short, a forum member suggested reinstalling the firewall, unchecking all the ports, then uninstalling the software firewall aqgain. Bam no problems! Took a bit more than an hour but still, fixed properly with some knowledge gained by me that will never be forotten!

As well the video card issue ended up being the Mobo Via 4in1 drivers that should NOT, did I mention NOT be installed. Once they were uninstalled the G450 Matrox is running great.

A :thu: :thu: for forums.

Later

Bri

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

Three cheers for the SSS tech support squad!

I'm again floored by the generosity and respect people here show to each other. The above examples exemplify for me why I like it here and why I'll help whoever/whenever/however I can: Deanmass's generous offer, Dak's genuine thanks and Craig's enthusiasm. I'm hard pressed to find any other place with such spirit.

Some people may wonder why a non-professional, non-audio engineering, non-recording, non-gigging, non-electrical-instrument-playing amateur musician like myself likes to come here to learn about concepts that I otherwise would never know about.

Given the general spirit here, there is no wonder in my mind as to why I've kept coming back. Sounds pretty hokey I guess, but I mean it. :)

I like to learn about different things and have exposure to different thoughts/perspectives, and this is a great place for all of that.

Thank you all for being a small part of my life this last year.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Love,

~Mir

Archived